Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32960
View in linear mode

Subject: "GSX wheels" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
FlipadelphiaSep-12-10 07:06 AM
Member since Sep 02nd 2010
58 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32960, "GSX wheels"

Anyone ever tried putting the 17" gsx wheels onto a GS and for some reason they don't sit flush with the hub... this makes no sense whatsoever?

I kind of wanted to throw them on for the winter but I'm able to get like 2 rotations of the lug nut on there and they don't sit flush and rattle around and the brakes makes godawful noises and it rattles and is just really sketchy. I can't for the life of me think of why they wouldn't fit

Not only that the person I bought them from had them on a 96 GS..?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: GSX wheels, Moderatorteklein, Sep-12-10 07:58 AM, #1
RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-12-10 01:37 PM, #2
      RE: GSX wheels, Ebster1085, Sep-12-10 03:09 PM, #3
           RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-12-10 03:18 PM, #4
                RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-12-10 04:03 PM, #5
                     RE: GSX wheels, Slo2g, Sep-12-10 06:22 PM, #6
                          RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-12-10 06:25 PM, #7
                               RE: GSX wheels, Slo2g, Sep-12-10 08:59 PM, #8
                                    RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-12-10 10:22 PM, #9
                                         RE: GSX wheels, Slo2g, Sep-13-10 02:19 AM, #10
                                              RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-13-10 02:40 AM, #11
                                                   RE: GSX wheels, electrohead, Sep-14-10 07:00 AM, #12
                                                        RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 05:36 PM, #15
                                                             RE: GSX wheels, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-15-10 02:59 PM, #33
RE: GSX wheels, fullmoon, Sep-14-10 12:10 PM, #13
RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 02:09 PM, #14
RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 05:39 PM, #16
      RE: GSX wheels, fullmoon, Sep-14-10 05:50 PM, #17
           RE: GSX wheels, Moderatorteklein, Sep-14-10 05:59 PM, #18
           RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 06:02 PM, #19
                RE: GSX wheels, Moderatorteklein, Sep-14-10 06:04 PM, #20
                     RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 06:13 PM, #21
                          RE: GSX wheels, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-14-10 06:51 PM, #22
                               RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 07:44 PM, #23
                                    RE: GSX wheels, electrohead, Sep-14-10 10:14 PM, #24
                                         RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 10:39 PM, #25
                                              RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 10:45 PM, #26
                                                   RE: GSX wheels, electrohead, Sep-14-10 10:49 PM, #27
                                                        RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-14-10 10:51 PM, #28
                                                             RE: GSX wheels, electrohead, Sep-14-10 11:04 PM, #29
                                                                  RE: GSX wheels, electrohead, Sep-14-10 11:49 PM, #30
                                                                       RE: GSX wheels, dalesmitsu, Sep-15-10 05:37 AM, #31
RE: GSX wheels, Flipadelphia, Sep-15-10 12:04 PM, #32

ModeratortekleinSep-12-10 07:58 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#32961, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 0

Something has to be stuck between them or the wheel is bent.

I have GSX wheels on my 97 white GS. They fit fine, no issues.

FlipadelphiaSep-12-10 01:37 PM
58 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32962, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 1

They all equally don't fit. They're about 1/4" from mating with the hub. They all can't be perfectly bent the same. I'm baffled. Someone mentioned style of lugnuts but that doesn't make sense. If they don't mate up nicely it doesn't matter what style lugnuts you've got. Anyone else ran into this? I noticed there's a little ring around the inside of the wheel where the hub goes in that protrudes. There's also one on the hub itself and it seems that they should be slightly differen in size so they fit into each other but it seems they collide which is why I'm guessing they don't mate up but again. My 97 hubs can't be different than any other 97 hubs.

Ebster1085Sep-12-10 03:09 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#32963, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 2

There should be absolutely no fitment issues. It probably has something to do with the ring you are referring to. There is no need for shims with stock wheels, so make sure any rings on the hub and/or the wheel are removed.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

FlipadelphiaSep-12-10 03:18 PM
58 posts,
#32964, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 3

The rings I'm referring to aren't shims. It's a physical aspect of the wheel itself. You couldn't remove it unless you grinded it off. I'll take a picture when I get home so you guys can have a visual. Hard to diagnose something you cant see lol

FlipadelphiaSep-12-10 04:03 PM
58 posts,
#32965, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-12-10 04:05 PM by Flipadelphia

That inner ring is almost like it's too small. Because there's a ring on the hub that doesn't fit in there.

Slo2gSep-12-10 06:22 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#32966, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 5

Are you using oem lugnuts? Oem lugnuts have a"shelf" for the wheel to sir on. All oem wheels are hub centric and should fit fine.

FlipadelphiaSep-12-10 06:25 PM
58 posts,
#32967, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 6

The wheel doesn't mate up with the hub...

The problem occurs before you even get to lugnuts.

Slo2gSep-12-10 08:59 PM
1074 posts,
#32968, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 7

Does the wheel go over the lug nuts and just doesn't sit flush on them? Have you tried putting the lug nuts on and slowly tightening them down in a star pattern?

FlipadelphiaSep-12-10 10:22 PM
58 posts,
#32969, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 8

I did try that and it was weird. The lug nuts got super tight after like 2-3 full rotations although the gap was still there and also everything sounded funny and brakes squeaked and sounded like they were rattling around and lost 2 lug nuts after a 40 mile drive and the rest were like hand tight so it was sketchy and I took them back off.

Slo2gSep-13-10 02:19 AM
1074 posts,
#32970, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 9

Post a picture of the entire wheel. Also did these come off of a GSX (did you see them on the other car?) If the wheel just doesn't fit then it sounds like you got hosed on the wheels and its a different wheel patter and not a 5x114.3.

FlipadelphiaSep-13-10 02:40 AM
58 posts,
#32971, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 10

No it's the right pattern. They go on just not far enough. Also yes I've seen them on the car. They were from my bosses talon

electroheadSep-14-10 07:00 AM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#32972, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 11

If those are going to be your winter wheels, that means you have aftermarket wheels on now, right? This might sound kind of silly, but do you still have the centering rings from the aftermarket wheels still on the hub? It`s the only thing I can think of that would prevent your GSX wheels from sitting flush.

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 05:36 PM
58 posts,
#32975, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by electrohead
If those are going to be your winter wheels, that means you have aftermarket wheels on now, right? This might sound kind of silly, but do you still have the centering rings from the aftermarket wheels still on the hub? It`s the only thing I can think of that would prevent your GSX wheels from sitting flush.

Yeah I do have aftermarket wheels but I've never heard of centering rings, I don't have any of those.

AdministratorCODE4Sep-15-10 02:59 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32993, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Flipadelphia
Originally posted by electrohead If those are going to be your winter wheels, that means you have aftermarket wheels on now, right? This might sound kind of silly, but do you still have the centering rings from the aftermarket wheels still on the hub? It`s the only thing I can think of that would prevent your GSX wheels from sitting flush.
Yeah I do have aftermarket wheels but I've never heard of centering rings, I don't have any of those.

In the future you need to know what you are talking about before you discount suggestions or the fact that you do not have something on your car.

---

2012 2500HD LML

fullmoonSep-14-10 12:10 PM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
158 posts,
#32973, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone ever tried putting the 17" gsx wheels onto a GS and for some reason they don't sit flush with the hub... this makes no sense whatsoever? I kind of wanted to throw them on for the winter but I'm able to get like 2 rotations of the lug nut on there and they don't sit flush and rattle around and the brakes makes godawful noises and it rattles and is just really sketchy. I can't for the life of me think of why they wouldn't fit Not only that the person I bought them from had them on a 96 GS..?

Yes they do fit I have a GS with the GSX rims and sad to say I bought them with the hopes that they would not leak. Boy was I praying up the wrong tree!
They do fit flush, they do look good BUT don't handle in the curves like the 16 could and I can feel the sidewalls cannot handle the extra hight and or load, they do give a better top end at high speeds on a straight-a-way however as I said they leak air over time because they warp over time.
I saw mines on a roller and I can see a warble in them, however the warblers don't leak don't know if the two in the back warble but one does leak.
My guess is the only reason ya brakes screem is ya need to get ya rotors turned.

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 02:09 PM
58 posts,
#32974, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 13

They don't make noise until I put the gsx wheels on

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 05:39 PM
58 posts,
#32976, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 13

All wheels and tires are goin to lack in performance overtime. Also if I was that concerned with cornering and auto cross I wouldn't be wanting oem gsx wheels. All I'm concerned with fitment and ice researched every reply and checked 48 times and still no luck.. This is weird.

fullmoonSep-14-10 05:50 PM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
158 posts,
#32977, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 16

All wheels and tires are goin to lack in performance overtime. Also if I was that concerned with cornering and auto cross I wouldn't be wanting oem gsx wheels. All I'm concerned with fitment and ice researched every reply and checked 48 times and still no luck.. This is weird.

Ok try this put them on then take them off and look for the scratches. It seems to me that something is rubbing big time. I thought I read somewhere that some eclipses came out with drum brakes. I may be very very wrong so please don't flame me for the info.

ModeratortekleinSep-14-10 05:59 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#32978, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by fullmoon
Originally posted by Flipadelphia All wheels and tires are goin to lack in performance overtime. Also if I was that concerned with cornering and auto cross I wouldn't be wanting oem gsx wheels. All I'm concerned with fitment and ice researched every reply and checked 48 times and still no luck.. This is weird.
Ok try this put them on then take them off and look for the scratches. It seems to me that something is rubbing big time. I thought I read somewhere that some eclipses came out with drum brakes. I may be very very wrong so please don't flame me for the info.

90% of RS's / base Talons came with rear drums. GSX wheels fit fine on those too...

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 06:02 PM
58 posts,
#32979, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 17

Haha I have disc brakes all around. Possible my rotors were swapped with not oem ones?

ModeratortekleinSep-14-10 06:04 PM
1699 posts,
#32980, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 19

Haha I have disc brakes all around. Possible my rotors were swapped with not oem ones?

I said 90%.

I am 99% sure that is not your issue. If the brakes worked fine before they are fine now.

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 06:13 PM
58 posts,
#32981, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 20

I'm fresh out of ideas...

Are the specific to where on the car they go? Are certain ones fronts and certain ones back and maybe I have them swapped?

AdministratorCODE4Sep-14-10 06:51 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32982, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm fresh out of ideas... Are the specific to where on the car they go? Are certain ones fronts and certain ones back and maybe I have them swapped?

No. DSMs did not have staggered fitments.

---

2012 2500HD LML

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 07:44 PM
58 posts,
#32983, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 22

Lol my car can't be the only one on this planet doing this...

electroheadSep-14-10 10:14 PM
182 posts,
#32984, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 23

Can you take a pic of one of your hubs?

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 10:39 PM
58 posts,
#32985, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 24

I think I might be apologizing to the guy who suggested the aftermarket wheel plate idea. I went to take a pic as requested and in doing so there actually is something that goes around where the wheel mounts that looks cleaner and newer than the rest... Can anyone confirm this is the case and it comes off before I start prying on it with a screwdriver... Lol

Pic in a sec

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 10:45 PM
58 posts,
#32986, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 25

Fairly certain that comes off because that is about the width it does go all the way on by and about the the depth of the gap when it's tightened down...

affirmitive...?

electroheadSep-14-10 10:49 PM
182 posts,
#32987, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 26

Yep. Take the black plastic ring off the hub where the wheel sits and you'll be fine. It should come off no problem. Plus they're cheap as hell, too.

FlipadelphiaSep-14-10 10:51 PM
58 posts,
#32988, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 27

Originally posted by electrohead
Yep. Take the black plastic ring off the hub where the wheel sits and you'll be fine. It should come off no problem. Plus they're cheap as hell, too.

You sure? that isn't plastic. It looks and feels like steel to me.

electroheadSep-14-10 11:04 PM
182 posts,
#32989, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 28

It`s not a spacer. it`s just there to keep aftermarket wheels centered to you don`t have the car shake at high speeds. it`s on the lip right around where the cv axle comes through.

electroheadSep-14-10 11:49 PM
182 posts,
#32990, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 29

That might help. That's what's keeping your stock wheels from sitting properly.

dalesmitsuSep-15-10 05:37 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#32991, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 30

Someone needs to take a pic of there's without the black ring, and do side by side comparison.

Flipdelphis, if you look through the wiki write removing front axle there's a photo of the hub. Compare that to yours, I would take photo of my 98rs but my batteries died for camera.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

FlipadelphiaSep-15-10 12:04 PM
58 posts,
#32992, "RE: GSX wheels"
In response to Reply # 0

Haha

Thanks guys!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32960 Previous topic | Next topic