Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32940
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113" Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorCODE4Aug-23-10 04:24 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32940, "Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"

Anyone know where to buy MB991113 for a decent price? I rented a front end service kit from Advance today that included this tool:

http://www.etoolcart.com/tierodballjointlifterta61900.aspx

Obviously a cheap ass knockoff and the bolt snapped under moderate pressure. Went to Ace to find a replacement bolt however the thread is unique/proprietary to the tool apparently.

The FSM calls out the Miller tool, as seen here http://www.etoolcart.com/tierodballjointseparator.aspx

Obviously more expensive but not as likely to fail. After some googling the average cost is around $140 for the correct tool. Anyone know of a better priced solution?

I am servicing lower control arms/lower ball joints with the axle in place.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, megaskillz, Aug-24-10 10:33 AM, #1
RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, dalesmitsu, Aug-24-10 09:22 PM, #2
      RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, megaskillz, Aug-25-10 10:48 AM, #3
           RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, freelancefool, Aug-25-10 10:26 PM, #4
           RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-25-10 10:36 PM, #5
                RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, freelancefool, Aug-25-10 11:00 PM, #6
                     RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-26-10 09:33 AM, #7
                          RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-31-10 09:46 PM, #8
                               RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, itsaslow95, Sep-06-10 09:53 AM, #9
                                    RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-06-10 10:00 AM, #10
           RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113, thakid22, Sep-19-10 09:52 AM, #11

megaskillzAug-24-10 10:33 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32941, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, that part looks like if you breathe on it hard enough it would break. I know of a part similar to the one you used but looks better built on harber freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-point-joint-separator-99849.html

It's only $20 plus you can use online coupons to get it even cheaper.

Personally I used a large pitman arm remover to remove my upper control arms and sway bar endlinks, but never tried on lowers. It was like $15 at autozone.

If you insist on having the Miller part, I found it for $128 here. http://www.toolsource.com/tie-rod-end-remover-p-103519.html?sourceid=googleps

I know its just shy of 140, but figured more money for you for beer.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dalesmitsuAug-24-10 09:22 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#32942, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 1

NOt sure if this right tool but looks stronger.
One I found is from OTC but its five piece kit at 133.

I live next door to paint shop called Alliance automotive supply/ but its really Premier Paint they sell high quaility tools, prices are pretty high.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

megaskillzAug-25-10 10:48 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#32943, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
NOt sure if this right tool but looks stronger. One I found is from OTC but its five piece kit at 133. I live next door to paint shop called Alliance automotive supply/ but its really Premier Paint they sell high quaility tools, prices are pretty high.

I just found the same set by US General on harbor freight for $70. Looks like it has lifetime warranty. Plus you probably can save even more with one of their coupons.

Hmmm.. I might buy that for myself lol. Looks very useful. You can find it here. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-front-end-service-tool-set-66686.html

freelancefoolAug-25-10 10:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32946, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 3

Define servicing them? Are you replacing the ball joints? If so, just get the ball joint fork that you beat between the spindle and the control arm. Guaranteed to destroy the boots, but very effective if you are just replacing the arms. $20.

My Blog

AdministratorCODE4Aug-25-10 10:36 PM
2552 posts,
#32947, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 4

This time around I am replacing a torn boot on the lateral arm. Arm has 10k miles but I tore the boot accidentally when installing my konis.

I ordered the OTC version from summitracing. They have good customer service in the event of any problems.

---

2012 2500HD LML

freelancefoolAug-25-10 11:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32948, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 5

In that case, you a ball joint fork. I would anyway.

My Blog

AdministratorCODE4Aug-26-10 09:33 AM
2552 posts,
#32949, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 6

I have a couple of those lying around, but I never liked them much. Granted I am replacing the boots anyway - but the pickle fork always seemed too destructive for my taste.

I use the forks on truck knuckles and such. Either way, the replacement tool is en route from Summit and should serve its purpose. For shits though I may buy a pickle fork with the appropriate shank for my air hammer.

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4Aug-31-10 09:46 PM
2552 posts,
#32955, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 7

Update for the thread. Had 30 minutes between watching the baby, wife coming home from work and myself needing to leave for work. OTC tool from summitracing worked perfectly. Pulled the arm off and took off the old boot. Tomorrow I should be able to grease it up & install the new boot.

Now that the daily temperatures are dropping to low 90s I want to put some miles on her again. Driving the wife's civic is killing me.

---

2012 2500HD LML

itsaslow95Sep-06-10 09:53 AM
Member since Oct 17th 2009
139 posts,
#32956, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 8

Hey i know that I am late on this reply and I'm sorry for that i didn't see it earlier. My neighbor once showed me a trick to tie-rod ball joints, which i didn't believe until I tried it and it worked well.

Grab the tie rod with one hand and apply force in the direction it needs to go to come out.
with the nut loosely on the threads of the ball joint (i run it on until its flush with the top of the stud to not damage threads) smack it with a hammer. apparently the constant pressure you are applying with your hand and the shock if you will from the hammer is enough to pull it loose.

believe it or not it hasn't not worked yet. best part is it's FREE

other then for tie rods, i just use the fork. Harbor Freight 9.99 :

-Jason

---------------------------------------
most posts are done from my iPhone please excuse my typos

95 eclipse gs turbo - parting out
2004- dodge dakota
2006 lancer with a fancy wing and really expensive brakes.

~Naturally Aspirated then Pressurized~
Streetworksautomotivetuning.com <~ best friend's shop SUPPORT HIM!

AdministratorCODE4Sep-06-10 10:00 AM
2552 posts,
#32957, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 9

That is an old trick. Does not work for our ball joints unless the axle is removed from the knuckle.

---

2012 2500HD LML

thakid22Sep-19-10 09:52 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
#33001, "RE: Ball joint and tie rod removal tool - Miller MB991113"
In response to Reply # 3

The right tools are essential. It makes this job much easier!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32940 Previous topic | Next topic