Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32936
View in linear mode

Subject: "rack & pinion replacement?" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Aug-10-10 06:43 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32936, "rack & pinion replacement?"

is there a writeup on replacing the r&p? any special tools needed? also how much space do you need? does it drop straight down once everything's unbolted? i only have my parents' single car garage to work in and it's pretty cramped. it really wouldn't work if the r&p needs to come out from the side of the car or somethin.. >.<

i'm gonna try just replacing the o-rings first but the leaking's gotten pretty bad so might end up doing the whole r&p.

thanks

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: rack & pinion replacement?, MCubed45, Aug-18-10 11:07 PM, #1
RE: rack & pinion replacement?, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-19-10 04:37 AM, #2
      RE: rack & pinion replacement?, MCubed45, Aug-28-10 02:44 PM, #3
           RE: rack & pinion replacement?, eclipse4g, Sep-07-10 10:38 PM, #4
                RE: rack & pinion replacement?, thakid22, Dec-15-10 02:29 AM, #5
                RE: rack & pinion replacement?, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-18-10 09:57 AM, #6
RE: rack & pinion replacement?, MCubed45, Jan-30-11 06:56 PM, #7

MCubed45Aug-18-10 11:07 PM
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32937, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0

bump

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Aug-19-10 04:37 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32938, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-19-10 04:46 AM by CODE4

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-suspension-brakes/226656-how-remove-rebuild-power-steering-rack.html

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=27102&mode=full

Bother to check the FSM? Page 37A-18.

---

2012 2500HD LML

MCubed45Aug-28-10 02:44 PM
2706 posts,
#32952, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 2

cool thanks

it sounds like unless you drop the exhaust, the R&P needs to come out from the side of the car? not possible in a single car garage then?

i haven't touched the exhaust since the catback was put in back in like 2003..

-marc

eclipse4gSep-07-10 10:38 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2010
2 posts,
#32958, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 3

i recommend depower your rack, save weight and manual steering is the way to go.

thakid22Dec-15-10 02:29 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
#33141, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipse4g
i recommend depower your rack, save weight and manual steering is the way to go.

Is that the same as no power steering at all?

RoninEclipse2GDec-18-10 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33157, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by eclipse4g

All you can do is remove the pump and loop the lines together. You're maybe saving 5-6 lbs, and making the car much more difficult to drive. Unless you're making a drag only car, having power steering is a very good thing to have. I once lost the power steering belt at the track (road course, I don't do straight line) and the car was so hard to turn in on the tight turns that I had to pull off the track.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

MCubed45Jan-30-11 06:56 PM
2706 posts,
#33184, "RE: rack & pinion replacement?"
In response to Reply # 0

blah. so oring didn't solve it. i think the hardline might be cracked.

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32936 Previous topic | Next topic