Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32896
View in linear mode

Subject: "Front struts moving around" Previous topic | Next topic
scorpo86Jul-12-10 11:34 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32896, "Front struts moving around"

I have Eibach springs and Kyb struts but they seem to move around a lot when I gas it a little, it sounds like when your driving next to someone and they hit a bump you can hear the struts bouncing around. I know they are in right and the kybs are new but im stumped how to fix this.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Front struts moving around, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-28-10 07:16 AM, #1
RE: Front struts moving around, Moderatorteklein, Jun-28-10 08:42 AM, #2
      RE: Front struts moving around, megaskillz, Jun-28-10 10:07 AM, #3
           RE: Front struts moving around, scorpo86, Jun-28-10 03:40 PM, #4
                RE: Front struts moving around, megaskillz, Jun-29-10 09:00 AM, #5
                RE: Front struts moving around, Ebster1085, Jun-29-10 08:23 PM, #6
                RE: Front struts moving around, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-01-10 11:53 AM, #7
RE: Front struts moving around, thakid22, Sep-19-10 10:21 AM, #8
RE: Front struts moving around, scorpo86, Jul-03-11 09:40 PM, #9

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-28-10 07:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32897, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 0

Moving around how? They shouldn't move at all...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinJun-28-10 08:42 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#32898, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
Moving around how? They shouldn't move at all...

I think you are hearing something else.

Check your ball joints, especially the lower one.

megaskillzJun-28-10 10:07 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#32899, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 2

I would definitely check your control arms for worn balljoints and bushings especially the upper control arms. I was experiencing something similar and felt something moving around up top around struts every time I hit a bump. Come to find out, I had a worn bushing in the upper control arm which caused stress on the pivot shafts which eventually broke through the body in the engine bay. Not a good look or feel. I had to get it welded. I hope this is not the case with you.

Try bouncing the front suspension a bit by pressing on the fenders around the strut area to imitate a bump. See if you can pinpoint the noise this way first. If you cant hear anything then thoroughly check each balljoint and bushing.

scorpo86Jun-28-10 03:40 PM
282 posts,
#32900, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 3

My whole front end is new, and I mean everything. I thought it was just a motor mount loose but as I hit bumps it sounds like I have blown struts. I would coast in 3rd gear and tap on the gas just a little and the body would move before the shocks. I really cant do anything till tomorrow but I'm getting sick of my front end ALWAYS feeling loose. I even have Rsdsm sway bars.... I'M Sick of it.

megaskillzJun-29-10 09:00 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#32901, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 4

My first question is are the springs new as well? You stated in your earlier post the the shocks were new. Worn springs can put stress on your shocks.

My second question is what type of shocks do you have? The gr-2 or the agx? If you have the gr-2s they are about stock quality. Stiffer springs with stock like shocks is going to give you a more bouncy ride quality. Also have you replaced the rear as well?

Ebster1085Jun-29-10 08:23 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#32902, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 5

I run Tokico HP struts and Eibach Prokit springs and I have always had a slight "shifting" issue. I never feel any actual shifting, but under hard braking or hard acceleration, if I hit a big bump there will always be a loud "click" from somewhere within my front suspension, as if something was shifting and then snapping back into place. I have never been able to track it down, and it doesn't happen very often or effect daily driving, so I have just ignored it.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-01-10 11:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#32903, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by scorpo86
I would coast in 3rd gear and tap on the gas just a little and the body would move before the shocks.

That sounds like a motor mount. Make sure the rear MM bracket hasn't worked its way off the diff housing, it'll cause something very similar to what you're describing.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

thakid22Sep-19-10 10:21 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
#33006, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 0

Did you ever find the problem?

scorpo86Jul-03-11 09:40 PM
282 posts,
#33347, "RE: Front struts moving around"
In response to Reply # 8

I did, When I replaced the rack the new one didn't come with that rubber bushing around it. Ill have to find one to put on

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32896 Previous topic | Next topic