Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32848
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will this damage steering system" Previous topic | Next topic
gasha1Apr-29-10 02:15 PM
Member since Dec 24th 2009
12 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32848, "Will this damage steering system"

My 98 GS pulls to the left really bad. It's as if someone is tugging on the wheel and steering to the left. I've hit a few potholes but no accidents. The car is lowered 1.6" with Eibach springs and camber kit. The pulling started before that. I've changed all 4 wheels and tires, replaced upper and lower control arms, struts, and tie-rods. The alignment is spot on. Toe-in and out are 0.00 front and rear. I am about to remove my power steering belt to see if I have a leaking valve in the unit. My question is will driving the car without power steering damage anything in the steering system?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Will this damage steering system, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-29-10 02:41 PM, #1
RE: Will this damage steering system, Tuxdreamerx, Apr-29-10 02:53 PM, #2
      RE: Will this damage steering system, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-29-10 04:51 PM, #3
           RE: Will this damage steering system, gasha1, Apr-30-10 08:51 AM, #4
                RE: Will this damage steering system, scorpo86, May-02-10 12:02 PM, #5
RE: Will this damage steering system, freelancefool, May-25-10 12:18 PM, #6
RE: Will this damage steering system, thakid22, Sep-19-10 10:23 AM, #7

AdministratorCODE4Apr-29-10 02:41 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32849, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 0

No.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TuxdreamerxApr-29-10 02:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32850, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 1

I have put almost 1000 miles on my car with no power steering and the previous owner had been running without it too, and no problems so far.

RoninEclipse2GApr-29-10 04:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32851, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 2

I once ran for 6 months without power steering because I was too lazy to replace the belt, didn't damage a thing. It worked perfect when I finally replaced the belt just so that I could have AC in the summer

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

gasha1Apr-30-10 08:51 AM
Member since Dec 24th 2009
12 posts,
#32854, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the input. The belt is gone this afternoon.

scorpo86May-02-10 12:02 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#32857, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 4

power steering is a pain in the ass. we are all lazy when problems arise with it and we just take off the belt.

freelancefoolMay-25-10 12:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32877, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 0

Check your brakes on that side or wheel bearing. If it is a rack problem, when you crank the car up and are sitting at a stop, it should still pull if you move the wheel.

My Blog

thakid22Sep-19-10 10:23 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
#33007, "RE: Will this damage steering system"
In response to Reply # 0

It'll be fine.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32848 Previous topic | Next topic