Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32691
View in linear mode

Subject: "Annoying Noises" Previous topic | Next topic
dalesmitsuFeb-06-10 10:27 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32691, "Annoying Noises"

While idleing in park, I would hear an annoying squeel in my steering wheel. By turning the wheel back and forth, also happends while driving making turns.

My front suspension does the same when going bumps. I know it needs springs/shocks/struts.

What cause thumping in my front tires. While on a smooth raod I'll hear thump, thump,thump. Are tire cupped or something, I notice they starting to wear on the inside.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Annoying Noises, dalesmitsu, Feb-06-10 10:31 PM, #1
RE: Annoying Noises, jesterscorpion, Feb-07-10 09:04 PM, #2
      RE: Annoying Noises, 95_ESi_Person, Feb-07-10 09:27 PM, #3
           RE: Annoying Noises, Babbz413, Feb-07-10 11:52 PM, #4
                RE: Annoying Noises, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-08-10 01:13 PM, #5
                     RE: Annoying Noises, Nemo, Feb-08-10 08:12 PM, #6
                     RE: Annoying Noises, dalesmitsu, Feb-08-10 09:57 PM, #7
                     RE: Annoying Noises, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-09-10 01:56 AM, #8
                          RE: Annoying Noises, dalesmitsu, Feb-11-10 12:04 PM, #9
                               RE: Annoying Noises, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-11-10 01:22 PM, #10
                                    RE: Annoying Noises, dalesmitsu, Feb-11-10 05:21 PM, #11
                     RE: Annoying Noises, dalesmitsu, Feb-20-10 02:23 PM, #13
RE: Annoying Noises, FurstimeDSMer, Feb-17-10 04:05 PM, #12

dalesmitsuFeb-06-10 10:31 PM
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32692, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 0

My 98rs came with the stock 14's bas model wheels. I want to replace them with the 16 gst wheels. Should add anything when going for two sizes up for 14's, or is good to go.

__

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jesterscorpionFeb-07-10 09:04 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2010
36 posts,
#32695, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 1

I put some extended 18's on my 07 gs about 1 1/2 years ago and have had no issues with the steering or suspension from it.

95_ESi_PersonFeb-07-10 09:27 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#32696, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 2

I went from 14 to 17 on my old Talon.. no issues.

Babbz413Feb-07-10 11:52 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#32697, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 3

you should have no issues with changing rim/tire size on a stock suspension. when your lowered on aftermarket suspension is when you have to worry about things such as camber.

95 GS Boosted

RoninEclipse2GFeb-08-10 01:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32701, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 4
Feb-08-10 01:16 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Squealing while turning the wheel is usually a loose belt slipping on the pump, or a bad tensioner.

Bad struts can cause tires to wear very unevenly which could cause thumping noises, or the strut could just be toast and the tire is actually bouncing as you drive down the road.

Squeaking on bumps is indicative of worn sway bar bushings.

Sounds like your suspension needs an overhaul.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

NemoFeb-08-10 08:12 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#32702, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 5

I went from the stock 14's to the 16" GST rims with no problem.

dalesmitsuFeb-08-10 09:57 PM
986 posts,
#32703, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-08-10 09:58 PM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Squealing while turning the wheel is usually a loose belt slipping on the pump, or a bad tensioner. Bad struts can cause tires to wear very unevenly which could cause thumping noises, or the strut could just be toast and the tire is actually bouncing as you drive down the road. Squeaking on bumps is indicative of worn sway bar bushings. Sounds like your suspension needs an overhaul.

Thanks, Ronin. You described it to a T.

This adds to my grocery list.

How good are the eibach camber kit compared to Ingalls. Tirerack has a good price on camber kit from eibach. But the kit looks incomplete compared to the Ingalls. Eibach's are within my budget.

__

RoninEclipse2GFeb-09-10 01:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32704, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G Squealing while turning the wheel is usually a loose belt slipping on the pump, or a bad tensioner. Bad struts can cause tires to wear very unevenly which could cause thumping noises, or the strut could just be toast and the tire is actually bouncing as you drive down the road. Squeaking on bumps is indicative of worn sway bar bushings. Sounds like your suspension needs an overhaul.
Thanks, Ronin. You described it to a T.

You're welcome. Everyone seemed stuck on the wheel fitment question so I figured I'd give you an answer about your noise issues

A cheap (free) way to test struts is to get someone that weighs in excess of 200lb to do a push test on the corners of the car. Have them push all their weight on each corner off the car right at the strut (open the hood so that they don't mash the sheet metal) Good struts should allow the car to compress then come right back up and stay there. Bad struts will allow the car to slowly bounce or wave. Toast struts can look like a lowrider on hydros bouncing

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

dalesmitsuFeb-11-10 12:04 PM
986 posts,
#32705, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 8

Would the PS pump not the belt cause this.

__

RoninEclipse2GFeb-11-10 01:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32706, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 9
Feb-11-10 01:24 PM by RoninEclipse2G

If the belt has been too tight and the bearings inside the pump are fucked up, Yes.

Or the banjo bolt could have been removed and retightened out of alignment. That'll make a nasty groaning sound when you turn the wheel. I did that once.

Erik P.

dalesmitsuFeb-11-10 05:21 PM
986 posts,
#32707, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 10

If the belt has been too tight and the bearings inside the pump are fucked up, Yes. Or the banjo bolt could have been removed and retightened out of alignment. That'll make a nasty groaning sound when you turn the wheel. I did that once.

Thanks man. I'll check these things when the snow clears up abit.

__

dalesmitsuFeb-20-10 02:23 PM
986 posts,
#32710, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 5

Squealing while turning the wheel is usually a loose belt slipping on the pump, or a bad tensioner. Bad struts can cause tires to wear very unevenly which could cause thumping noises, or the strut could just be toast and the tire is actually bouncing as you drive down the road. Squeaking on bumps is indicative of worn sway bar bushings. Sounds like your suspension needs an overhaul.

I've done a comparison from autozone and cimotorsports. I notice at autozone site their's different sizes from ES brand price is about 20 bucks two day wait. Now from cimotorsports is cheaper 8.99 size 19mm front bar and 15mm rear bar by prothane.
The autozone energy suspension is abit more, wait is a two days and they have it red as to cimotorsports is cheaper only have it black and shipping could be longer.

I also did some searching(search)and information on the home page. Noticed I don't have a rear sway bar, my 2g is an 1998 rs as to my old 1997gs had rear swaybar. This fine to me, but which front sway bar bushing size should I use.

Where is exactly the adjuster to loose the tension on my power steering belt. I've replaced the one on my old 89 ciera is was simple, but I never had to adjust the tension on it.

I'm hoping the belt only needs losen abit and the pump is good. This would save me about 200 for a new one.

Powersteering fluid level was abit low when I bought the car.

I could it was female driven, lack of fluid check. Overall car runs great and drives on rails (hope this isnt due to bad hub/bearings).

Weather is clear good day to do some spring maintence.

__

FurstimeDSMerFeb-17-10 04:05 PM
Member since Feb 17th 2010
2 posts,
#32709, "RE: Annoying Noises"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-17-10 11:23 PM by FurstimeDSMer

I over-tightened my powersteering pump belt once and it definately had the same issue you described with the steering wheel being turned. Best of Luck.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32691 Previous topic | Next topic