Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32546
View in linear mode

Subject: "squeeking from front passenger side while turning." Previous topic | Next topic
HedgeOct-14-09 07:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32546, "squeeking from front passenger side while turning."

Hey, this just started a few days ago and would like to fix soon. When ever i turn eather way, there seems to be a loud squeek sound coming from (i think) the front passenger side. Id compare the sound to that of a window squegee. I havnt had time to take the tire off yet for a look because its been snowing and just so damn cold out lately so i figured id ask and get an idea of what to look for before going out aimlessly in the cold breaking things.

About three weeks ago i took the lowering kit off of the car and replaced it with the old stock set up that was in working shape when i took it off. The lower "strait" control arm was replaced maby 6 months ago. So if you have any idea of what i should check on or what it could be, it would be really helpful. thanks.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning., whtclipse98, Oct-14-09 10:13 PM, #1
RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning., Tuxdreamerx, Oct-15-09 06:05 AM, #2
RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning., Hedge, Oct-15-09 03:09 PM, #3
      RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning., quicksilver99, Oct-29-09 10:11 PM, #4
           RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning., Hedge, Oct-30-09 10:43 PM, #5
                RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning., rs99eclipse, Nov-15-09 04:25 PM, #6

whtclipse98Oct-14-09 10:13 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32547, "RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning."
In response to Reply # 0

Have you done the recall? Reason why I ask is mine did this and once I did the recall it stopped.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TuxdreamerxOct-15-09 06:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32548, "RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Hedge
Hey, this just started a few days ago and would like to fix soon. When ever i turn eather way, there seems to be a loud squeek sound coming from (i think) the front passenger side. Id compare the sound to that of a window squegee. I havnt had time to take the tire off yet for a look because its been snowing and just so damn cold out lately so i figured id ask and get an idea of what to look for before going out aimlessly in the cold breaking things. About three weeks ago i took the lowering kit off of the car and replaced it with the old stock set up that was in working shape when i took it off. The lower "strait" control arm was replaced maby 6 months ago. So if you have any idea of what i should check on or what it could be, it would be really helpful. thanks.

The cold seems to bring this squeak out of any older suspension. I have had many cars do this and its nothing bad just annoying. I believe its the rubber bushings and parts that squeak because of the cold.

HedgeOct-15-09 03:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#32549, "RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning."
In response to Reply # 2

I think the recall was just on the drivers side, but i replaced both control arms/ball joints less then 6 months ago.

It does seem to be worse in colder weather and i never had this problem with the lowered struts, but it never went below 10 degrees or so when i had them on. Ive had people that ive driven by ask about the noise, i guess its really loud from outside.

quicksilver99Oct-29-09 10:11 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
152 posts,
#32556, "RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning."
In response to Reply # 3

try this test:

Use PB Blaster and spot spray each joint of your suspension, one at a time. Spray it well, but be careful to keep it off of the brakes. Have someone turn the steering after each part is sprayed. Start with the tie rod, then the lower ball joint, then the upper. If there's is a failed seal or boot the squeek will top but if you listed close you will still hear the metal grinding within the joint. If its just the rubber in the seals hardening from the cold the blaster will soak in and soften it up and all noise will be gone and so will your problem.

Creative thinking? Ingenuity? Hell, It's just an obsession!

99 Eclipse GS turbo: MSpowered, everything custom built, 223.8 HP-199.8 TQ @8psi through auto-tranny. The first time around...

HedgeOct-30-09 10:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#32557, "RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning."
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by quicksilver99
try this test: Use PB Blaster and spot spray each joint of your suspension, one at a time. Spray it well, but be careful to keep it off of the brakes. Have someone turn the steering after each part is sprayed. Start with the tie rod, then the lower ball joint, then the upper. If there's is a failed seal or boot the squeek will top but if you listed close you will still hear the metal grinding within the joint. If its just the rubber in the seals hardening from the cold the blaster will soak in and soften it up and all noise will be gone and so will your problem.

The noise has been gone for about two weeks now, i basically did what you said but used a spray greese. It seemed to be coming from the strut but after spraying everything it went away. Thanks though.

rs99eclipseNov-15-09 04:25 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2009
25 posts,
#32573, "RE: squeeking from front passenger side while turning."
In response to Reply # 5

if it does come back check your power steering belt same thing happened to me the ps belt just needed tightening

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32546 Previous topic | Next topic