Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32515
View in linear mode

Subject: "Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above" Previous topic | Next topic
WytChoclitJNov-22-09 09:03 AM
Member since Oct 07th 2009
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32515, "Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"

OK...so I can brake under 60 mph just fine, no vibration. If I get around 60 mph and above and brake I get this awful vibration and shaking coming from the left front. It shakes bad enough, that it shakes the whole car. I have a Powerslot Plus Brake kit on the fronts and rears. Any ideas?!?! Help!!!

In need of a good rebuild!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-07-09 08:25 PM, #1
RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-07-09 08:46 PM, #2
      RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, nicho919, Oct-07-09 09:57 PM, #3
           RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, Ebster1085, Oct-09-09 05:40 AM, #4
                RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-09-09 08:51 AM, #5
                     RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-09-09 08:30 PM, #6
                          RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-10-09 08:52 AM, #7
                               RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, Malenko, Oct-10-09 10:01 AM, #8
                                    RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, dalesmitsu, Oct-10-09 03:05 PM, #9
                                    RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-10-09 04:35 PM, #11
                                    RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-10-09 04:43 PM, #13
                                    RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-10-09 04:33 PM, #10
                                         RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-10-09 04:40 PM, #12
                                              RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-10-09 05:17 PM, #14
                                                   RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-09 11:12 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above, WytChoclitJ, Oct-12-09 04:30 PM, #16

AdministratorCODE4Oct-07-09 08:25 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32516, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-07-09 08:26 PM by CODE4

First, White Chocolate, verify that your rotors have zero runout. Get a micrometer and take measurements radially and laterally.

Check your calipers and other related hardware.

On a side note please comply with forum rules and update your user profile.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WytChoclitJOct-07-09 08:46 PM
9 posts,
#32517, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-07-09 08:46 PM by WytChoclitJ

Which way is radially and laterally? Checked out the hardware and everything seems to be in tact. How can I check the calipers? I am probably getting GSX calipers in the near future.

Also, I updated my profile info, but I don't think it took, cuz when I tried changing my time zone, it told me the city, state, country was required. Not sure what's going on there.

nicho919Oct-07-09 09:57 PM
Member since Apr 12th 2009
93 posts,
#32518, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 2

Pretty sure this is just your rotors being warped. It happened for my car scarily from 90 mph-65 mph. Above or below that, it was fine. Replaced pads and rotors, and now it's smooth.

I'm broke, it's broken. I'm broke because it's broken. It's broken because I'm broke.

Simplicity Car Club - Founding Member

Ebster1085Oct-09-09 05:40 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#32519, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 3

I agree with Nicho. Definitly sounds like a warped rotor. Sometimes when it is just minor warpage you only feel it at highway speed or after the brakes have fully warmed up. Get a new rotor and change your pads and I bet it goes away.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

WytChoclitJOct-09-09 08:51 AM
9 posts,
#32520, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks guys! Sounds easy enough. Now I just need to find a Power Slot Plus brake kit rotor without having to buy the whole kit again. LOL

WytChoclitJOct-09-09 08:30 PM
9 posts,
#32521, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 5

One more thing....I really don't need to change both rotors, if the warped one is only on the left correct?! I know I need to change both front sets of pads.

RoninEclipse2GOct-10-09 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32524, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 6

You might be able to have them turned if there's still enough rotor left. That'll take out the warpage.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

MalenkoOct-10-09 10:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#32525, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 7
Oct-10-09 10:03 AM by Malenko

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
You might be able to have them turned if there's still enough rotor left. That'll take out the warpage.

I'd see if they could be turned first. its a cost effective option and it saves you the trouble of hunting for parts. if your rotors are warping you're either braking too hard/often or you need better pads or you're using the pads past their duration.

dalesmitsuOct-10-09 03:05 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#32526, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by Malenko
if your rotors are warping you're either braking too hard/often or you need better pads or you're using the pads past their duration.

You might want check your swaybar, struts.

WytChoclitJOct-10-09 04:35 PM
9 posts,
#32528, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm pretty sure the struts are ok. I have a fair new set of Tein coilovers on. However, what might the swaybar issue be?

RoninEclipse2GOct-10-09 04:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32530, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Originally posted by Malenko if your rotors are warping you're either braking too hard/often or you need better pads or you're using the pads past their duration.
You might want check your swaybar, struts.

WTF? Uh, no. Swaybars and struts aren't going to cause a vibration under braking.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

WytChoclitJOct-10-09 04:33 PM
9 posts,
#32527, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 8

I was told by a brake shop that I could not have slotted rotors turned. If not, where would you suggest going to have them turned?

RoninEclipse2GOct-10-09 04:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32529, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 10
Oct-10-09 04:41 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by WytChoclitJ
I was told by a brake shop that I could not have slotted rotors turned. If not, where would you suggest going to have them turned?

If you were in colorado I'd turn them for you.

Most brake shops will tell you that they can't turn slotted rotors because they aren't willing to take the time that slotted rotors require. They have to be turned at a slow pace, removing as little material as possible or the slots will tear the shit out of the cutting blades and fuck up the rotors at the same time. Check the local auto parts stores, a lot of them have brake lathes (not autozone) and if you ask around you can usually find someone that knows how to do it.

Erik P.

WytChoclitJOct-10-09 05:17 PM
9 posts,
#32531, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 12

Thanks for the info! I will definitley be on the phone on monday. Do I need to have both fronts turned at the same time or just the warped one?

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-09 11:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32537, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 14

I'd recommend having both turned because it's so hard to tell which one is the screwy one. They're both probably a little warped anyways

Erik P.

WytChoclitJOct-12-09 04:30 PM
9 posts,
#32538, "RE: Vibration when braking at 60 mph and above"
In response to Reply # 15

Got it...Thanks again!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32515 Previous topic | Next topic