Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32489
View in linear mode

Subject: "Brake light wont go out when cold" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipserstturboNov-22-09 09:04 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32489, "Brake light wont go out when cold"

I don't know what it is, but I've had a 98 eclipse and two 95 talons that seem like everytime it gets cold the brake light on the dash stays on for at least 10 mins after I've dropped the hand brake. It only does it when it's around 45-50 degrees or lower, and never does it when its warm out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Brake light wont go out when cold, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-02-09 12:05 PM, #1
RE: Brake light wont go out when cold, ez, Oct-02-09 12:36 PM, #2
      RE: Brake light wont go out when cold, eclipserstturbo, Oct-03-09 09:27 PM, #3
           RE: Brake light wont go out when cold, Moderatorteklein, Oct-04-09 07:08 AM, #4
                RE: Brake light wont go out when cold, ModeratorCorbin, Oct-04-09 05:39 PM, #5
                     RE: Brake light wont go out when cold, Tuxdreamerx, Oct-04-09 07:29 PM, #6

RoninEclipse2GOct-02-09 12:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32490, "RE: Brake light wont go out when cold"
In response to Reply # 0

Your handbrake light switch is slowly dying. Mine did it for years only on cold days then it stayed on constantly if it wasn't above 50* outside. I disconnected it because I really didn't care. I've got a newer one to replace it with in my donor car, but getting the car running has been more important.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ezOct-02-09 12:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#32491, "RE: Brake light wont go out when cold"
In response to Reply # 1

What you are seeing is contraction of the brake fluid because of low temps. Just like how metal expands/contracts as temperature fluctuates, fluid does the same thing.

Our brake fluid sensors are extremely sensitive to this slight decrease in fluid level.

Solution: Add brake fluid. The light will no longer come on in cold temps. (speaking from experience)

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

eclipserstturboOct-03-09 09:27 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#32500, "RE: Brake light wont go out when cold"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get it to stop with some fluid, and if that doesn't work than I'll try the handbrake switch. Honestly I was probably going in that direction anyway, but I was just curious as to I've had three cars in the course of two years that did the same thing when it got cold.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

ModeratortekleinOct-04-09 07:08 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#32502, "RE: Brake light wont go out when cold"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by eclipserstturbo
Thanks guys, I'll see if I can get it to stop with some fluid, and if that doesn't work than I'll try the handbrake switch. Honestly I was probably going in that direction anyway, but I was just curious as to I've had three cars in the course of two years that did the same thing when it got cold.

Brake fluid.

Mine did it for the first time last week, every morning it would stay on, afternoon go off.

Even though the fluid was to the max line, I added like an 1/8 inch more. Been off since

ModeratorCorbinOct-04-09 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#32506, "RE: Brake light wont go out when cold"
In response to Reply # 4

Same for me. It turned out to be slightly low brake fluid.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

TuxdreamerxOct-04-09 07:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32507, "RE: Brake light wont go out when cold"
In response to Reply # 5

Same here low brake fluid. 99% sure its your problem.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32489 Previous topic | Next topic