Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32401
View in linear mode

Subject: "upper control arm dammage pulling left hard." Previous topic | Next topic
valdeelricoJul-08-09 05:14 PM
Member since Mar 06th 2009
41 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32401, "upper control arm dammage pulling left hard."
Jul-09-09 04:18 PM by valdeelrico

Hi my timing belt slipped not to long ago but after some hard work I'm back into the game. but before that occurred. i slipped on some ice and hit a cub real hard last winter 07' and my car has been pulling to the left ever since. I was wondering if anyone knew what part causes it. i see my upper control arm has some damage. so i bought a new one from the salvage yard. new would be the relative term here. and after i put it on is there any other part that i should replace before i send it off to get aligned?
********updated edit********
so a regular piman arm puller or wedge won't separate the balljoint from the suspesion. so I used a pitman tie rod puller, be cause it was smaller and would hold on enough to make an attempt to separate. but eventually it slips off from turning on the bolt on the tool. I even tried using the wedge and puller in combination. local stores don't have the tool that Chilton says to use "control arm seperator" I think is the name. any ideas? will a 3arm gear puller work?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

NightfallJul-08-09 06:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32402, "RE: upper control arm dammage pulling left hard."
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-08-09 06:25 PM by Nightfall

If you hit hard enough to damage the control arm, I'd be sure to check and make sure you didn't bend a tie rod. Jack the car up and see if there's any play in the suspension, might as well replace the tie rod ends/ball joints now if needed too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GJul-08-09 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32403, "RE: upper control arm dammage pulling left hard."
In response to Reply # 1

The good old "Curb hit"

There's a BUNCH of things that could be bent and damaged from a hit. control arms and the upper A arm, inner and outer tie rods, the steering knuckle itself could be bent... I've even seen hubs get knocked askew from a curb hit.

Basically you're gonna have to find out what all you damaged and replace it followed by a very thorough alignment.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32401 Previous topic | Next topic