Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3237
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do Strut Bars Work?" Previous topic | Next topic
moistureJul-14-01 03:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3237, "Do Strut Bars Work?"

I have a question for you guys. So far, I have left my suspension alone in the quest to improve my car, so I don't really know know what to expect from modifying it. So how much difference does a less expensive mod like a strut bar make? Do you notice a differnce in everday driving, or only when you're trying to pull tight corners?

- moisture

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Do Strut Bars Work?, hudy, Jul-14-01 04:31 PM, #1
RE: Do Strut Bars Work?, mitseclps, Jul-14-01 04:38 PM, #2
One More..., moisture, Jul-14-01 11:58 PM, #3
      RE: One More..., Fast420A, Jul-15-01 02:09 AM, #4
           RE: One More..., joshacu, Nov-14-01 02:13 PM, #5
                RE: One More..., joshacu, Nov-14-01 02:17 PM, #6
                     RE: One More..., LoudEclipse, Nov-14-01 07:29 PM, #7
                          RE: One More..., vegasdsmr, Nov-14-01 09:18 PM, #8
                               RE: One More..., joshacu, Nov-15-01 08:43 AM, #9
                                    RE: One More..., TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-15-01 09:46 AM, #10
                                         RE: One More..., Irfan, Nov-15-01 07:00 PM, #11
                                              RE: One More..., Irfan, Nov-18-01 06:57 PM, #12
                                                   RE: One More..., esi420, Nov-18-01 08:33 PM, #13
                                                        RE: One More..., HadesOmega, Nov-20-01 01:26 PM, #14
RE: Do Strut Bars Work?, Niclipse, Nov-22-01 09:59 AM, #15

hudyJul-14-01 04:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3238, "RE: Do Strut Bars Work?"
In response to Reply # 0

I found that with both the front and rear upper my car felt more stable at high speeds along with beig able to go faster into corners.

OBX Pedals (Stolen)
OBX R Muffler (Stolen)
2 12" Subs (Stolen)
1500 Watt Amp (Stolen)
Front Strut Bar (Stolen)
Rear Strut Bar
Shift Kit
Battle Z Front Bumper
Projector Headlights

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mitseclpsJul-14-01 04:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1018 posts,
#3239, "RE: Do Strut Bars Work?"
In response to Reply # 1

damn. all that got ripped out?

aem cai
greddy 4-1 headers
highflow cat
greddy sp cat-back exhaust
nx nitrous system <5o shot>
purge kit
engine wireloom (5 hp rite there)
spring performance 2" lowering springs
autometer carbon fiber gauges
(a/f ratio, nitro press, oil press)

-bryan
'98 rst

moistureJul-14-01 11:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
31 posts,
#3240, "One More..."
In response to Reply # 1

Wow...all that for only thirty or forty dollars, too. Anyway, one more question. Where do you mount the rear strut bar? Do you have to take the panelling off in the trunk, or am I way off base here?

- moisture

Fast420AJul-15-01 02:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#3241, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 3

There are to panels in the back that are about 6 inches by 6 inches and have to screw holes in it. Take those out and the top of the strut tower is there. Thats where it goes.

KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Custom 2 1/4 inch exhaust
Empty Catalytic Convertor
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

joshacuNov-14-01 02:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
625 posts,
#3242, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 4

i have front and rear. front was very noticeable all the time. turn-in was vastly improved. car just feels more solid. i got both of mine off ebay $35 for the front $25 for the rear. for that price you cant beat it.

15.882@86.27

joshacuNov-14-01 02:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
625 posts,
#3243, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 5

also a blind monkey could install them. just take off the three nuts on the towers put on the mount, tighten the nuts back on. thats it.

15.882@86.27

LoudEclipseNov-14-01 07:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#3244, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 6

Thats it
even a blind monkey, ouch thats gotta hurt mike

vegasdsmrNov-14-01 09:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#3245, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 7

i fet a difference after i installed the front one, then two weeks later, the rear one went on too. i am still on da stock suspension, and i think that it was a good handlin mod, cheap too!

if ya only got the front one, watch out for the back end wippin around on ya (seen sean spin out??)

hth, tia

hit me up on aim, vegasdsmr thats da new SN
Sean G
vegaspimpin 99 gs ounce edition (wish it was a Q P)
http://seangordon1.tripod.com

short ram intake w/custom dual ram air
2.5 catback w/5zigen muff and cherry bomb resonator
front upper and rear upper strut bar
NGK BKR5E-11
8.5 mm magnecores
hurricane gs shiftermod
symborski shifter kit

AFX UDP (sittin in my garage)

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

joshacuNov-15-01 08:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
625 posts,
#3246, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 8

i didnt mean the blind mokey thing mean. just saying it is an easy, cheap, noticable mod.

15.882@86.27

TeamMichael_97RSNov-15-01 09:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3247, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 9

Yeah I have front upper, rear upper and lower and i feel the difference. Again stock supension when first install on 14" tires and they helped, now on 17"s but I do reccommend them.

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All Motor Beast in the Making

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

IrfanNov-15-01 07:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3248, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 10

i cant tell a thing with the upper ones... then again my suspension was good to start with - new sways, illuminas/tokico springs, and the lower tie bars and nice ass tires/rims.. but im sure they still help.. i think the front one is more of a cosmetic mod.

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

IrfanNov-18-01 06:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3249, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 11

i'll put the front ones on again this weekend and see how they go

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

esi420Nov-18-01 08:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
155 posts,
#3250, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 12

Maybe its just me, but I had a front bar for about three months and thought I noticed a difference. Then I took it off, and I thought it was better without it.

They look cool though

JE Pistons .020 over
Eagle Rods
TotalSeal Gapless Rings
HRC Stage 2 Kit
Stage 4 Clutchmasters
Phantom grip LSD
TurboXS Hp boost controller
TurboXS Type H BOV
Greddy Turbo Timer
OBX 2.5" catback
2.5" Racecat
RRE Oil Catchcan w\o PCV
Top Fuel UDP
PT Cruiser Lifters and Rockers
Missing Link
MSD Coil pack
MSD 8.5mm wires
AFX Solid Front mount
Tokico Illuminas
Tokico Springs
Brembo Rotors
Ceramic pads
17" Black ADR Dv-8 Rims
Clear Corners
Aluminum Gauge bezel(15+HP!!!)
White Face Gauges

Soon to come..
Black projector headlights
Front 97 Eclipse conversion
All GO, A little SHOW.....The way it should be

HadesOmegaNov-20-01 01:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#3251, "RE: One More..."
In response to Reply # 13

No matter what any strut bar will help because you never had one to begin with. Strut bars are a good mod to do because they are inexpensive and they basically add on not upgrade anything on your car. But remember strut bars only make your chassis stiffer by reinforcing the strut towers from bending under hard cornering. Adding thicker sway bars will yield more better results because it keeps you wheels on the ground and shox and spring have better results, but then again it's an inexpensive mod so I say go for it.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

NiclipseNov-22-01 09:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
831 posts,
#3252, "RE: Do Strut Bars Work?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have rear upper and front upper, and HIGHLY recoomend these add ons because they are so cheap and so worth it.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3237 Previous topic | Next topic