Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32328
View in linear mode

Subject: "WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
FunkDoctaJun-13-09 09:25 PM
Member since Apr 09th 2009
37 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32328, "WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"

First of all let me just say this is not my pic took it off another thread since my camera broke.

I just finished dropping in to engine and everything i going smoothly until i get putting back the axles. Jesus Christ it is a bitch to work the bolt into the control arm and after I finally popped it back in the nut wont screw into place. I checked the thread on both the nut and bolt and they are fine but it seems that the bolt twirls with the nut as I attempt to tighten it. I have tried everything to hold the bolt still but with no prevail. Right now the ca is sitting on jackstands in my garage until I can some how find a way to get that nut on and move on to the other axle. Do you guys think that I am effed or is there some secret trick to keep that fucking bolt from moving and actually tight it down?

Its currently 11:23pm, I'm tired, and I'm really close to pushing this car into a ditch; nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. Please help me love my car again like I used to do before when it ran 25% of the time I had it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, eclipse982nrRST, Jun-13-09 09:47 PM, #1
RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, Jungy, Jun-13-09 10:49 PM, #2
      RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, freelancefool, Jun-14-09 06:14 AM, #3
      RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, eclipse982nrRST, Jun-14-09 07:24 AM, #4
           RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, FunkDocta, Jun-14-09 08:35 AM, #5
                RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-14-09 05:46 PM, #6
                     RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, FunkDocta, Jun-14-09 07:38 PM, #7
                          RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, dalesmitsu, Jun-15-09 01:54 AM, #8
                               RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, Flipboi89, Jun-15-09 11:24 AM, #9
                                    RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, FunkDocta, Jun-15-09 11:14 PM, #10
                                         RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-16-09 04:46 AM, #11
                                              RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-16-09 08:05 AM, #12
                                                   RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!, User_22, Jul-04-09 11:00 PM, #13

eclipse982nrRSTJun-13-09 09:47 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32329, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Couple of options...

Two man mode...get a long pry bar and pry up onto the bottom of the arm and the other person try to tighten the nut.

One man mode option one...heat it slightly, and try an air impact wrench, or try and move quick with a regular ratchet.

One man mode two....Get a large C-Clamp, Clamp the bottom of the joint to the top of the knuckle, tighten real tight, try to tighten nut.

One of these options will work. However, being frustrated does not help. Drink a beer, smoke a joint, do something to calm down, then go back to work

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JungyJun-13-09 10:49 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2005
164 posts,
#32330, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

What I've always done is compressed the suspension by placing a floor jack underneath that ball joint and what it ends up doing is it binds that bolt so it can't spin as your tightening the nut.

96' eclipse gs, 2gb conversion
built bottom end, crane #16 cams, hx40 pro billet, MS1 v3 MSn'S-E, 3.55 trans, quaife lsd

freelancefoolJun-14-09 06:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32331, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Jungy
What I've always done is compressed the suspension by placing a floor jack underneath that ball joint and what it ends up doing is it binds that bolt so it can't spin as your tightening the nut.

This is how I do it. I've probably pulled my front end apart more than a dozen times now.

My Blog

eclipse982nrRSTJun-14-09 07:24 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#32332, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Jungy

Same thing as the prybar and c-clamp trick...but a jack would work as well.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

FunkDoctaJun-14-09 08:35 AM
37 posts,
#32333, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Already tried placing a jack under it and even though it went through the hole the bolt still spun around trying to tighten the nut. I have tried holding down the bolt with pliers while tightening the nut with the other hand but it still spins with the nut and does not hold still. I just woke up so I will see if the c-clamp will work and I will try to get some friends over to help but if anything I will keep you guys updated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-14-09 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#32334, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, compression of the suspension usually works, but a couple of things; check to be sure that all the threads (nut and bolt) are relatively good. You could be fighting a screwed up thread. Also, if you put compression on it and it still spins, try putting a wrench on it and give the wrench some raps with a small sledge. This acts like an impact and should get you past the nylon that is holding you up.

And you may want to do axles with this method next time;

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Changing%20an%20axle%202

That way, you don't have to play with that nut.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

FunkDoctaJun-14-09 07:38 PM
37 posts,
#32335, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

^^^ lol a little too late for that but will keep that in mind whenever taking out the axles again seems much easier. Haven't really tried to work on it since I hurt my hand pretty bad yesterday and I can't grip anything with it but will try these methods tomorrow after work. As for the jack method must the suspension be jacked up all the way? I tried this the first time but got scared I might break something so I did not jack it up all the way and the bolt still spun. I checked the threads and they are still good on both right and left sides of the car just a bitch to get that bolt to hold still. Should be easier now that I blew off all the steam I had with a whole day to relax and sleep. No matter how many times this car leaves me stranded on the road I can never go through with selling it, even had a guy with $3000 cash ready to buy it but I turned him down because I had second thoughts since it is my first car (stupid me).

dalesmitsuJun-15-09 01:54 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#32336, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by FunkDocta
^^^ lol a little too late for that but will keep that in mind whenever taking out the axles again seems much easier. Haven't really tried to work on it since I hurt my hand pretty bad yesterday and I can't grip anything with it but will try these methods tomorrow after work. As for the jack method must the suspension be jacked up all the way? I tried this the first time but got scared I might break something so I did not jack it up all the way and the bolt still spun. I checked the threads and they are still good on both right and left sides of the car just a bitch to get that bolt to hold still. Should be easier now that I blew off all the steam I had with a whole day to relax and sleep. No matter how many times this car leaves me stranded on the road I can never go through with selling it, even had a guy with $3000 cash ready to buy it but I turned him down because I had second thoughts since it is my first car (stupid me).

Ive had same problem this morning I busted my axle destroyed the balljoint on driverside. My brother and I used the jack method and a prybar I had to put extra pressure on the prybar with my foot.

I'd kick myself if I got rid of my 2g Its been three day haven't driven my bitch and I've been using my brothers neon, I hate it every minute.

Cool panda with the turbo spoiler I should be on the road by tuesday morning.

After I'm finished back on the road we're headed to the Diamond Royale.

Anyone what meet up there and look at boobies for a few hours. I promise I wont tell your old ladies, haha

Flipboi89Jun-15-09 11:24 AM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32337, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Hey thats my car ha, I ended up taking it all apart also. Its a bitch.

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

FunkDoctaJun-15-09 11:14 PM
37 posts,
#32338, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Well great news guys got both sides tightened down all the way and the car is officially back on the road. U used the jack method along with a blow torch to heat the nut up a bit and it screwed on real quick. Last time I ever take out the axles that way again. Thanks for all the support guys you never cease to amaze.

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-16-09 04:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#32339, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10
Jun-18-09 03:17 PM by bullettdsm

And now you love your car again!!

Just fyi on the torch method (I know you were on your last choice), there are lots of rubber things that can get melted down when you use this method (as in boot and nylon on the nut. Not to mention the surrounding pieces). That's why this would be an option of last resort.

Glad to hear you're back in business.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

AdministratorCODE4Jun-16-09 08:05 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32340, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

I agree with Mark on this. Per the FSM, that nut is a single use item - when it comes off you are technically suppose to replace it with a new one. Now people have reused the NyLoc nut without problems but again I know of one member that did and it somehow backed out causing the lower control arm to drop out of the knuckle on the street.

Using a torch may have had some adverse effects. I would recommend keeping an eye on it for safety. Glad to hear you got it all back together man.

---

2012 2500HD LML

User_22Jul-04-09 11:00 PM
Member since Jun 17th 2009
29 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32373, "RE: WTF I HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Spread the love. = p

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32328 Previous topic | Next topic