Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32292
View in linear mode

Subject: "rear knuckle bushing replacement tools" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45May-14-09 02:30 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32292, "rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"

so my upper rear knuckle bushings are pretty much non-existant and i'd like to replace them sometime in the near future - prolly with the ES ones. what tools will I need besides the typical sockets and whatnot? do i need a spring compressor? i'm not sure how many of the bushings i'll do since i know what a PITA they can be. the knuckle bushings definitely need replacement though. car's clunking all around the place atm. thanks

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, daes_venge, May-14-09 03:19 PM, #1
RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, RoninEclipse2G, May-14-09 05:22 PM, #2
      RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, DirtMegirt, May-14-09 06:00 PM, #3
           RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, MCubed45, May-14-09 09:01 PM, #4
                RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, freelancefool, May-14-09 09:32 PM, #5
                RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, DirtMegirt, May-14-09 11:04 PM, #6
                     RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, daes_venge, May-14-09 11:50 PM, #7
                          RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, MCubed45, May-15-09 12:07 AM, #8
                               RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, 740 turbo brick, May-15-09 06:23 PM, #9
                               RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, freelancefool, May-16-09 04:29 AM, #10
                                    RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools, mitsu95023, May-20-09 10:06 AM, #11

daes_vengeMay-14-09 03:19 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32293, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 0

I replaced mine with the ES bushings and the upper knuckle bushings didn't last but a few hundred miles. So I got some Prothane upper knuckle bushings i'm going to install sometime in the near future. The prothane bushings are a lot easier to install because they are 2 piece bushings that don't require a press to install them. Prothane is more expensive than ES but I think they are worth the extra.

Here's a pic of my ES bushings after only a short time and few miles.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GMay-14-09 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32294, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 1

can you get a blurrier pic? I can almost make out what that pic is

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

DirtMegirtMay-14-09 06:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#32295, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 2
May-14-09 06:03 PM by DirtMegirt

Daes, the same thing happened with the ES bushing on the drivers side rear. How are the P's different? As far as what tools, I did all the rear bushings fron the ES kit the same. I scraped out most of the rubber so that the metal sleeve was exposed, used a hacksaw to cut across the circumference in two places about a 1/4" apart, pryed that piece out to relieve the pressure on the sleeve, and then popped that out. As far as installing them, I didn't have to use a press, just some of the lube in the ES kit and some elbow grease. Of course a metric socket set and wrenches are useful. If you use this method, be careful not to damage the surfaces that the new bushing goes into by cutting to far with the hacksaw.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

MCubed45May-14-09 09:01 PM
2706 posts,
#32296, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 3

wow is this pretty common?

searching through older threads it seemed like the ES kit was pretty much the accepted solution for dead knuckle bushings...

were any other bushings replaced at the same time? maybe other bad bushings allowed too much play and premature wear on the new knuckle bushing?

-marc

freelancefoolMay-14-09 09:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32297, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 4

ES bushings are a softer polyurethane than the Prothane bushings. I like having a car that NO ONE wants to ride in. So I did all Prothane bushings and motor mounts.

My Blog

DirtMegirtMay-14-09 11:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#32298, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by MCubed45
were any other bushings replaced at the same time? maybe other bad bushings allowed too much play and premature wear on the new knuckle bushing?

The ES master kit that I had replaced all 3 rear knuckle bushings(I only replaced two, the top and the frontside, I have no idea why ), both rear upper control arm bushings, as well as the larger trailing arm bushings. It makes sense what freelance says about the softer compound, and maybe that does allow for more play and premature wear?

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

daes_vengeMay-14-09 11:50 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#32299, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 6

I replaced all of the rear bushings at the same time with ES bushings. Those upper knuckle bushings are the only ones that have failed so far.

MCubed45May-15-09 12:07 AM
2706 posts,
#32300, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by daes_venge
I replaced all of the rear bushings at the same time with ES bushings. Those upper knuckle bushings are the only ones that have failed so far.

weird. maybe it's just the design of our suspension? it seems pretty common for the stock top knuckle bushing to go so i guess that particular bushing just sees a lot of stress?

for those of you with the prothane inserts, how have those been holding up?

-marc

740 turbo brickMay-15-09 06:23 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#32301, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 8

I have those rear knuckle bushings as well. Im going on 8 months including winter on mine and they are still ok.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

freelancefoolMay-16-09 04:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32302, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 8

It's been two years and more than 30k miles for me. All mine are in good shape so far.

My Blog

mitsu95023May-20-09 10:06 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#32303, "RE: rear knuckle bushing replacement tools"
In response to Reply # 10

im in the process of replacing my bushings with the prothane ones...i visited my local harbor freight tools and bought a 20 ton arbor press to press out the old bushings makes the job so much easier...just a fyi

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32292 Previous topic | Next topic