Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32286
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP - Thumping noise when driving" Previous topic | Next topic
DalSlackerMay-12-09 06:03 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2008
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32286, "HELP - Thumping noise when driving"

I generally diagnose and fix my own problems, but this one has me stumped. I'd appreciate any input I could get
I have a 98 Eclipse NT and this issue started just recently

If I let off the throttle, I immediately hear a thud
If I drive at a constant speed, I hear a constant thud-thud-thud-thud
The sound only really goes away if I'm either accelerating or braking (or not moving)
I can feel the thud, but I hear it more than I feel it. It's not a violent thing, it's just obvious that something isn't quite right

I jacked it up and checked the suspension for play, and everything appears to be tight
In case it's related, I changed the timing belt a few weeks ago also, but there was no thump until a couple days ago. The Tbelt is tight and the engine runs/revs great.
Someone help please
Thanks in advance

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving, Tuxdreamerx, May-12-09 07:15 PM, #1
RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving, 420agreenvilleSC, May-12-09 07:19 PM, #2
      RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving, DalSlacker, May-13-09 06:18 PM, #3
           RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving, Babbz413, May-21-09 07:50 AM, #4
                RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving, 420agreenvilleSC, May-21-09 03:13 PM, #5
                     RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving, RoninEclipse2G, May-21-09 05:03 PM, #6

TuxdreamerxMay-12-09 07:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32288, "RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving"
In response to Reply # 0

Check your engine mounts.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCMay-12-09 07:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
#32290, "RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving"
In response to Reply # 1

yea, check your front and back mounts. It may be sides, but i doubt it. while your car's off, try jolting your motor frontwards/backwards and see if you hear the thud. If you hear it, locate it.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

DalSlackerMay-13-09 06:18 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2008
5 posts,
#32291, "RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks guys
I couldn't reproduce the noise with the car stationary, but I found that the longitudinal bolt through the passenger side motor mount wasn't as tight as it could've (should've) been. Tightened her up, and it's fine now
Cheers

Babbz413May-21-09 07:50 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#32311, "RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah sounds like your motor mounts are loose letting the engine to rock back n forth.

420agreenvilleSCMay-21-09 03:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
#32312, "RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Babbz413
yeah sounds like your motor mounts are loose letting the engine to rock back n forth.

he's already fixed it....

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

RoninEclipse2GMay-21-09 05:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32313, "RE: HELP - Thumping noise when driving"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
Originally posted by Babbz413 yeah sounds like your motor mounts are loose letting the engine to rock back n forth.
he's already fixed it....

I'd bet someone is trying to build up a post count.

Badly.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32286 Previous topic | Next topic