Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32260
View in linear mode

Subject: "slop in 2g rack" Previous topic | Next topic
lamrithMay-05-09 10:13 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2009
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32260, "slop in 2g rack"

I had my 2G up on jackstands and found something a bit disturbing.

I can move the the front wheels side to side. Before everyone says balljoints, I dug into it and it is NOT the bushings or ball joints in the suspension, wheel, hub. The movement is all inside the boot of the steering rack. I didn't get a tape measure on it, but the tierod is moving in/out of the rack a good 1/2" before it gets any resistance and starts to move the rack internals. I bumped the wheel with my knee installing a trans temp gauge and clunk it moved..

Is there a balljoint or some kind in there that can be replaced or something to be tightened? I am guessing I have to drain the rack of oil to pull the boot, or doing so will drain the boot?? My Chiltons manual did not seem to show any rack internals for me to look at..

Car is my daily driver, so want to have an idea of things I need on hand to get it fixed without having to run to the store..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

NightfallMay-05-09 11:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32261, "RE: slop in 2g rack"
In response to Reply # 0
May-06-09 12:05 AM by Nightfall

You need some inner tie rod ends. And there's no need to drain the rack to replace them, no fluid should be in the boot unless your rack is bad. The clamps that hold the boot on are a pain to get off but if you're carefull enough you can reuse them. Unscrew the tie rod end and relpace. Make sure to get an alignment afterwards too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4May-06-09 07:47 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32263, "RE: slop in 2g rack"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by lamrith
Before everyone says balljoints, I dug into it and it is NOT the bushings or ball joints in the suspension, wheel, hub.

We are not going to say ball joints because it is not the ball joints. If you had play at the 12 and 6 o'clock then it would be.

Grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and finding slop is more often than not inner and/or outer tie rods.

Inner tie rod - $20 @autozone.
Inner tie rod removal/install tool - $60 @NAPA.

Looks like a foot long piece of black pipe with a square drive on one end. Try to rent it if it is available in your area.

And of course, alignment.

---

2012 2500HD LML

TuxdreamerxMay-06-09 08:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32264, "RE: slop in 2g rack"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by lamrith Before everyone says balljoints, I dug into it and it is NOT the bushings or ball joints in the suspension, wheel, hub.
We are not going to say ball joints because it is not the ball joints. If you had play at the 12 and 6 o'clock then it would be. Grabbing the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and finding slop is more often than not inner and/or outer tie rods. Inner tie rod - $20 @autozone. Inner tie rod removal/install tool - $60 @NAPA. Looks like a foot long piece of black pipe with a square drive on one end. Try to rent it if it is available in your area. And of course, alignment.

Agreed. There is fluid in my drivers side boot but I put lucas power steering stop leak in it and it stopped.

RoninEclipse2GMay-07-09 06:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32266, "RE: slop in 2g rack"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Agreed. There is fluid in my drivers side boot but I put lucas power steering stop leak in it and it stopped.

good stuff, if the leak can be stopped that stuff will do the job.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32260 Previous topic | Next topic