Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32204
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ebay Springs/Coilovers?" Previous topic | Next topic
DarkMatterM4Nov-22-09 08:59 AM
Member since Jul 19th 2005
22 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32204, "Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"

How many of you guys are running suspension parts from ebay, meaning generic springs/coilovers? Let me know how the ride quality is and how difficult are they to install. Thanks a lot.

-------
92 3000GT VR4 - Weekend Warrior
97 Eclipse RS - "Finally 5 Speed" Daily Driver

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, eclipse982nrRST, Apr-22-09 10:37 AM, #1
RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-22-09 05:35 PM, #2
      RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, Nightfall, Apr-22-09 06:12 PM, #3
           RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, Nemo, Apr-22-09 06:26 PM, #4
                RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, DarkMatterM4, Apr-22-09 09:27 PM, #5
                     RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, Moderatorteklein, Apr-23-09 06:04 AM, #6
                          RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, Warmage12, Apr-23-09 06:53 AM, #7
                          RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, wordsarize, Apr-23-09 01:19 PM, #8
                               RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, tegster, Apr-25-09 08:43 AM, #9
                                    RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, mitsu95023, May-20-09 10:45 AM, #10
                          RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, Fallen4ng31, May-20-09 10:57 AM, #11
                               RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?, Babbz413, May-21-09 07:49 AM, #12

eclipse982nrRSTApr-22-09 10:37 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32205, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 0

They ride like shit. Your suspension will bounce like crazy.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RoninEclipse2GApr-22-09 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32206, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 1

spend some real money and get a qualtiy namebrand product. ebay springs are chinese knockoffs that have no quality control whatsoever. usually they start by riding like crap, then they sag quickly and throw off all your careful alignment adjustments. if you're really lucky they'll break before your struts blow out from the sagging.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

NightfallApr-22-09 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
335 posts,
#32207, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ebay coilovers feel like you're riding on all flats, don't do it. Now if you can find a set of new/used Eibach prokits/sportlines on Ebay, then I say go for it.

NemoApr-22-09 06:26 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#32208, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 3

+1 on "don't do it". I got talked out of it here and they are right.

DarkMatterM4Apr-22-09 09:27 PM
Member since Jul 19th 2005
22 posts,
#32209, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 4

Wow. I didn't think they were THAT bad. Alright, I guess I'll spend the extra few bucks and get Eibachs. How difficult is it to install springs on these cars? I know on my VR4, it's pretty easy. Are there any special obstacles that I will encounter?

-------
92 3000GT VR4 - Weekend Warrior
97 Eclipse RS - "Finally 5 Speed" Daily Driver

ModeratortekleinApr-23-09 06:04 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#32210, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 5

Nope, its all straght forward for the install!

Youll need to rent a spring compressor.

Warmage12Apr-23-09 06:53 AM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#32211, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thank god mitsu's are easy when it comes to suspension install. Really. They are. JUST REMEBER TO DISCONNECT THE SWAY BAR...OR YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF..

95 RS sold...

wordsarizeApr-23-09 01:19 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2008
16 posts,
#32213, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 7

DONT DO IT! i bought the ebay GT Racer coilover springs n they were horrible!!! every LITTLE bump felt like i was destroying the car and in fact, they blew all my shocks... so i got H&R Race springs that lowered the car 1.4" in the rear and 1.7" in the front and Koni Red Special shocks and ride quality is beautiful...

tegsterApr-25-09 08:43 AM
Member since Sep 21st 2006
25 posts,
#32222, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 8

Just follow this. http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Strut%20Install

And as long as you dont have too much rust or seized bolts it doesnt take very long and isnt very hard to do at all.

mitsu95023May-20-09 10:45 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2009
36 posts,
#32304, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 9

i fell into the ebay trap of cheap coilovers a few years back it was a waste of time and money, the ride height looked great but driving it was a nightmare

'95 rs turbo project
'97 gs parts car
'01 Audi s4 DD
'80 porsche 911 993 widebody, 3.6ltr

Fallen4ng31May-20-09 10:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#32305, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by teklein
Nope, its all straght forward for the install! Youll need to rent a spring compressor.

Or you can do it the "cheap bastard" way like some of us have and use a wet towel and a piece of pipe. This, however, can be extremely dangerous.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

Babbz413May-21-09 07:49 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#32309, "RE: Ebay Springs/Coilovers?"
In response to Reply # 11

my springs are from ebay. they are great....they are a tein setup.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32204 Previous topic | Next topic