Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32107
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strut tower rust!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
Babbz413Mar-25-09 12:25 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32107, "Strut tower rust!!!"

One of my strut towers is rusted out bad! what can be done to prevent this cancer from spreading?!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Strut tower rust!!!, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-25-09 01:18 PM, #1
RE: Strut tower rust!!!, 96mitseclipsers, Mar-25-09 01:34 PM, #2
      RE: Strut tower rust!!!, Nemo, Mar-25-09 07:31 PM, #3
           RE: Strut tower rust!!!, boostdtalon, Mar-25-09 08:02 PM, #4
                RE: Strut tower rust!!!, 96mitseclipsers, Mar-26-09 10:53 AM, #5
                     RE: Strut tower rust!!!, adamzty, Mar-26-09 01:35 PM, #6
                          RE: Strut tower rust!!!, ez, Mar-26-09 03:40 PM, #7
                               RE: Strut tower rust!!!, Fallen4ng31, Mar-26-09 05:34 PM, #8
                                    RE: Strut tower rust!!!, freelancefool, Mar-27-09 12:55 PM, #9
                                         RE: Strut tower rust!!!, Babbz413, Mar-27-09 04:52 PM, #10
                                              RE: Strut tower rust!!!, adamzty, Mar-27-09 09:53 PM, #11
                                              RE: Strut tower rust!!!, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-03-09 06:21 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Strut tower rust!!!, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-03-09 10:36 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Strut tower rust!!!, Tuxdreamerx, Apr-11-09 06:51 PM, #14

AdministratorCODE4Mar-25-09 01:18 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32108, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes. Same as anywhere else you would have rust problems. Sand, clean, weld new material if needed, and paint.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

96mitseclipsersMar-25-09 01:34 PM
Member since Jan 12th 2009
47 posts,
#32109, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Better start fixing it soon or its just gonna get worse.

NemoMar-25-09 07:31 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#32110, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, before you have a wreck too-what a suck ass place to rust out

boostdtalonMar-25-09 08:02 PM
Member since Jan 18th 2009
47 posts,
#32111, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

i have the same problem. i'm going to have to cut out sections and reweld them. i was amazed to see it there.

stable: 05' Evo MR
95' GS (part of jackstand racing since 05')

96mitseclipsersMar-26-09 10:53 AM
Member since Jan 12th 2009
47 posts,
#32112, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

What causes the rust to start right around that area? is it the metal? I know on almost every eclipse RS,GS,GST,GSX its there or is starting to show up there.

adamztyMar-26-09 01:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#32113, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 96mitseclipsers
What causes the rust to start right around that area? is it the metal? I know on almost every eclipse RS,GS,GST,GSX its there or is starting to show up there.

Road salt.

ezMar-26-09 03:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#32114, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

yup. Because I've NEVER seen this on a single california 2g. One good thing about living here

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Fallen4ng31Mar-26-09 05:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#32115, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

We're fortunate enough not to have that issue here in FL, either. Unless, of course, you leave it out in a hurricane.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

freelancefoolMar-27-09 12:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32116, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Pssh! Mine has seen about 5 hurricanes now. I have no rust issues anywhere on the car.

My Blog

Babbz413Mar-27-09 04:52 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#32117, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost? Ive never had any body work done on a car (besides front bumpers redone). I keep my work on performance. what should i expect to pay when I'm calling around.

It is so bad in one spot of my right strut tower. you can see the tire if you look through it.

Thanks guys!

adamztyMar-27-09 09:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#32119, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Babbz413
Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost? Ive never had any body work done on a car (besides front bumpers redone). I keep my work on performance. what should i expect to pay when I'm calling around. It is so bad in one spot of my right strut tower. you can see the tire if you look through it. Thanks guys!

Well, you are going to need new material welded on. That can get expensive pretty fast. Take it to a few body shops for a quote.

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-03-09 06:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#32136, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-03-09 06:21 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by Babbz413
Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost?

eleventy billion dollars

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

AdministratorCODE4Apr-03-09 10:36 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32137, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by Babbz413 Don't mean too sound like an idiot...but I'm gonna sound like an idiot. how much would something like that cost?
eleventy billion dollars

:p

---

2012 2500HD LML

TuxdreamerxApr-11-09 06:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#32165, "RE: Strut tower rust!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Well your not the only one with that problem. When I got into the DSM game I first had a 95 talon ESI and as I was tearing the motor out I noticed a horrible amount of rust on the strut tower I could actually see through it.

So I went to a friend of my dads that does collision repair and he was going to find a good strut tower from another eclipse/talon have it cut out then cut mine out and weld the good tower into its place and all for $220 plus the cost of the used tower.

Now here are some problems I have been told about when it comes to replacing a strut tower...

The biggest problem is that it has to be pretty darn accurate or you will have alignment problems.

Another hassle is that almost all of the parts, suspension and anything in the way of cutting that tower out has to be taken off before the repair can be done.

Anyway sorry to make such a long post but hopefully its not rusted out entirely.

Just as a side note DO NOT use fiberglass or bondo to repair any holes in the tower as that will greatly reduce the integrity of the tower and will most likely just break once some force is applied to the tower from just everyday driving conditions.

Here are the pics of the towers in that talon, Needless to say I had that shell crushed.

Gotta throw in a pic of this cooked engine lol

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32107 Previous topic | Next topic