Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32085
View in linear mode

Subject: "Broken bleeders for brakes!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
brandons_97gsMar-16-09 04:14 PM
Member since Jul 06th 2008
42 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32085, "Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"

WTF!!! 3 out of 4 of my bleeder valves broke for my brakes today!! Are you serious. I've never had any problems bleeding brakes.

I ordered 4 valves from the parts store. Picked up a drill bit and the appropriate 'easy out' bit. Any thing else i should prepare for or try??

Also, for the sake of not feeling like a complete idiot...to bleed the valves, is it counter-clockwise to loosen?

Thanks guys.
B

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-16-09 05:08 PM, #1
RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, brandons_97gs, Mar-16-09 07:52 PM, #2
RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-16-09 10:31 PM, #3
      RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, klynt96rst, Mar-18-09 11:00 AM, #4
      RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, adamzty, Mar-18-09 12:02 PM, #5
      RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-18-09 01:04 PM, #6
           RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, brandons_97gs, Mar-18-09 03:38 PM, #7
                RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, Slimyjr., Mar-18-09 03:53 PM, #8
                     RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, dalesmitsu, Mar-19-09 09:15 AM, #9
                          RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, brandons_97gs, Mar-19-09 05:21 PM, #10
                               RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!, whtclipse98, Mar-20-09 02:36 AM, #11

RoninEclipse2GMar-16-09 05:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32086, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by brandons_97gs
WTF!!! 3 out of 4 of my bleeder valves broke for my brakes today!! Are you serious. I've never had any problems bleeding brakes. I ordered 4 valves from the parts store. Picked up a drill bit and the appropriate 'easy out' bit. Any thing else i should prepare for or try??

just be very careful that you don't damage the threads in the caliper. last time I had this issue I had to buy freshly reman'd calipers. If I had known better I would have ponied up the extra $$ for the loaded GSX calipers with mounting brackets.

Originally posted by brandons_97gs
Also, for the sake of not feeling like a complete idiot...to bleed the valves, is it counter-clockwise to loosen? Thanks guys. B

yes, unless you have a euro spec caliper, then they go anti-clockwise.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

brandons_97gsMar-16-09 07:52 PM
42 posts,
#32087, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Where'd be the best place to source loaded gsx/brackets?in case i mess up...

AdministratorCODE4Mar-16-09 10:31 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32088, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
yes, unless you have a euro spec caliper, then they go anti-clockwise.

Anti-clockwise? Is that not the same thing as counter clockwise? :p

---

2012 2500HD LML

klynt96rstMar-18-09 11:00 AM
Member since Jun 12th 2008
25 posts,
#32091, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

i had one break, when i was bleeding my rear breaks after the drum to disc, i think it was because they seized from sitting to long, if its not leaking then your fine, but if they are ur going have to get a reverse drill bit to get it out and replace it (sorry cant think of the actual name of the drill bit needed right now lol)

Striped and left for dead now rebuilding
96 Eclipse Rs will be T again soon
Cold Air intake, Megan Header, N1 Cat back exhaust, test pipe, UDP, Drum To Disc Conversion, OBX throttle body spacer

adamztyMar-18-09 12:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#32092, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by klynt96rst
i had one break, when i was bleeding my rear breaks after the drum to disc, i think it was because they seized from sitting to long, if its not leaking then your fine, but if they are ur going have to get a reverse drill bit to get it out and replace it (sorry cant think of the actual name of the drill bit needed right now lol)

Bolt extractor.

RoninEclipse2GMar-18-09 01:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32093, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G yes, unless you have a euro spec caliper, then they go anti-clockwise.
Anti-clockwise? Is that not the same thing as counter clockwise? :p

I was wondering if someone would catch that

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

brandons_97gsMar-18-09 03:38 PM
42 posts,
#32094, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

hehe. The tiny games we all play. I would never have caught on to that. lmao.

I ended up just getting a reman. caliper today from Autozone. (after i got the bolt extractor/drill bit)

Slimyjr.Mar-18-09 03:53 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2007
212 posts,
#32095, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Good luck man. Almost all bleeders that break on calipers can't be takin out. Metal is too soft for extracter and heat will ruin the caliper seals. Best bet would be to get a bit and drill as close to the threads as possible. Then all you have to do is take out that little bit of bleeder left.

dalesmitsuMar-19-09 09:15 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#32103, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-19-09 09:16 AM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by Slimyjr.
Good luck man. Almost all bleeders that break on calipers can't be takin out. Metal is too soft for extracter and heat will ruin the caliper seals. Best bet would be to get a bit and drill as close to the threads as possible. Then all you have to do is take out that little bit of bleeder left.

You can pick up drill-bit/ bolt extractor set for 10-20 bucks at Advance auto, look for the OEM brand red metal case, it comes with 6 bits and 6 extractors for the bits.

Bits should be reverse, I haven't had time to try them out on my broken inner fender bolts only two. The extractors should work on both yours and mine.

Checkout www.machv.com for the bleeders

brandons_97gsMar-19-09 05:21 PM
42 posts,
#32104, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

New calipers are so much easier to deal with vs. old siezed up ones. hah. Now I have brakes again.

I really didn't want to mess with trying to extract the siezed bleeders. I have heard too many stories about having to invest in new calipers regardless.

whtclipse98Mar-20-09 02:36 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#32105, "RE: Broken bleeders for brakes!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

I broke my bleeders off and was able to get them out with an extractor. Calipers had been sitting for a year b4 I messed with them. Extractors are a worthwhile investment anyways along with a tap and dye set.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32085 Previous topic | Next topic