Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32064
View in linear mode

Subject: "rear disk brake conversion ?" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipsebloomNov-22-09 08:58 AM
Member since Mar 08th 2009
8 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32064, "rear disk brake conversion ?"

Does anyone what kind of adaptor i will need to make 96 disk brakes work on my 95 drums (brake lines).

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-09-09 06:25 PM, #1
RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, azdave, Mar-11-09 01:45 PM, #2
      RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-11-09 04:01 PM, #3
      RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, ThePerfectShift, Mar-11-09 05:27 PM, #4
      RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, silver_7, May-03-09 10:46 PM, #6
RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, klynt96rst, Mar-16-09 01:15 PM, #5
RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, whtclipse98, May-03-09 11:04 PM, #7
RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, MITSUracer123, Jul-06-09 08:38 AM, #8
      RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, Slo2g, Jul-06-09 10:18 AM, #9
           RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-06-09 01:12 PM, #10
                RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, Slo2g, Jul-06-09 06:52 PM, #11
                     RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-06-09 06:54 PM, #12
                          RE: rear disk brake conversion ?, MITSUracer123, Jul-07-09 08:17 AM, #13

RoninEclipse2GMar-09-09 06:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32067, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-09-09 06:25 PM by RoninEclipse2G

you're not gonna last long if you don't learn how to use the search and the Wiki

rear drum to disc conversion

that's a freebie. most of these questions have already been answered.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

azdaveMar-11-09 01:45 PM
Member since Nov 25th 2003
694 posts,
#32072, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 1

I like my way better since there is no need for the hassle to change out the e-brake cables. I've done many this way.

http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub%20indexes/drum_to_disc/index.htm

RoninEclipse2GMar-11-09 04:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32073, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Dave's is great if you've got the tools

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

ThePerfectShiftMar-11-09 05:27 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
#32074, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 3

I did mine via Daves Method. The step reamer was an unexpected $30 though. Oh and get plenty of PB Blaster. I ended up snapping off the bleed valves on the junkyard calipers i got.

Originally posted by thedawg

I ran 15-18psi on my stock a604 for about 30k miles then it broke. It makes cool whining noises now.

silver_7May-03-09 10:46 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
4 posts,
#32250, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by azdave
I like my way better since there is no need for the hassle to change out the e-brake cables. I've done many this way. http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub%20indexes/drum_to_disc/index.htm

This is an amazing write up.

klynt96rstMar-16-09 01:15 PM
Member since Jun 12th 2008
25 posts,
#32083, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 0

the drum to disc conversion is easy

all you need is the caliper/bracket/brake line/backing plate

jack up car removed old stuff, going to have to take off the hub to get the backing plate off

on the disc backing plate just use a drill bit and bore out the hole a little bigger so the stock ebrake cable will fit down in it,

put the disc backing plate on then remote hub, hook up ebrake cable
put on rotor, bolt on caliper, connect brake line that shouldof came with caliper, and repeat on other side and your down

i know one of the write up tells you to cut a slot in the ebrake "holder" on the disc backing plate and use a clamp to make sure its tight, but i found that just boring the hole for the cable to slide down into, worked just as good, and havent had any problems

Striped and left for dead now rebuilding
96 Eclipse Rs will be T again soon
Cold Air intake, Megan Header, N1 Cat back exhaust, test pipe, UDP, Drum To Disc Conversion, OBX throttle body spacer

whtclipse98May-03-09 11:04 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#32251, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 5

I just swapped the whole disc brake setup with hubs over. It was quick and easy doing that.

MITSUracer123Jul-06-09 08:38 AM
Member since May 31st 2008
56 posts,
#32376, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 5

is there is difference between gsx and gst rear brakes???

Slo2gJul-06-09 10:18 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#32377, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 8

If you get the early 95 GSX brakes they are not a solid rear rotor, its vented. other than that, I think they are the same

RoninEclipse2GJul-06-09 01:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32378, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Slo2g
If you get the early 95 GSX brakes they are not a solid rear rotor, its vented. other than that, I think they are the same

Early 95 rears are awesome if you can find them

keyword: IF

Erik P.

Slo2gJul-06-09 06:52 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#32379, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 10

I KNOW !!!!!!!! luckily I found the whole rear end!

RoninEclipse2GJul-06-09 06:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32380, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Lucky baztard! I've never heard of anyone warping the vented rears even with insanely hard track use. I wish I could find a set.

maybe the next car I part out will have to be an early 95 GSX

Erik P.

MITSUracer123Jul-07-09 08:17 AM
Member since May 31st 2008
56 posts,
#32382, "RE: rear disk brake conversion ?"
In response to Reply # 12

so i have the calipers. anyone have the backing plates?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32064 Previous topic | Next topic