Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32055
View in linear mode

Subject: "***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***" Previous topic | Next topic
cmsMar-07-09 06:59 PM
Member since Aug 01st 2003
1092 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32055, "***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"

To all of those that remember me on here, * Hello! *

And the rest that dont, well, Hello to you as well.

Now down to business. I have a problem that I have no knowledge on how to fix. to let you know, Ive done a half-ass search as to not get beat down for not doing one.

As I was driving (approx. 45mph) I could feel the car starting to work harder then it should (same speed, but bogging as if it were going against some unknown resistance) I then pushed in the clutch and put it in Neutral, the car started to shake a little and come to a stop. I then let it sit for about 10 minutes and continued to drive as if nothing ever happened. The rest of the day it was fine. Ive driven it a couple more times after that when the exact same situation took place. Today, I took it for a drive since the midwest has gotten some much deserved warm weather. I was able to drive it for about 5-10min before I noticed the car starting to work it self hard to keep the same speed, put it in neutral and it just brings itself to a stop. If I sit for about 5min, and drive again, its like nothing happened... at least for the next 5min of driving anyway. So the last time it did that today (which is about every 5 or 10min, I pulled over and was on an incline in a parking lot. I was waiting to let it sit and rest with it in neutral and NO E-Brake.. it stayed right where it was. after sitting there for about 5 minutes, it started to roll backwords as if something was automatically released. I have checked the fluids, ive looked to see if the pad is touching the rotor (it is not) so, I need some advice as to what it could be.

I hope I have been detailed enough! Thanks!!!

-Christopehr

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, freelancefool, Mar-07-09 07:40 PM, #1
RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, cms, Mar-07-09 07:42 PM, #2
      RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, ez, Mar-08-09 01:14 PM, #3
           RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, cms, Mar-08-09 05:45 PM, #4
                RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, Warmage12, Mar-08-09 09:52 PM, #5
                     RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, scorpo86, Mar-09-09 05:46 AM, #6
                     RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, cms, Mar-09-09 03:27 PM, #7
                          RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, Warmage12, Mar-09-09 04:21 PM, #8
                               RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, cms, Mar-09-09 05:17 PM, #9
                                    RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, Warmage12, Mar-10-09 02:15 PM, #10
                                         RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, cms, Mar-16-09 03:06 PM, #11
                                              RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, Slimyjr., Mar-18-09 03:59 PM, #12
                                                   RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-18-09 04:10 PM, #13
                                                        RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, cms, Mar-18-09 07:09 PM, #14
                                                             RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***, Warmage12, Mar-19-09 06:18 AM, #15

freelancefoolMar-07-09 07:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#32056, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 0

Wheel bearing going bad heating up and locking up? Any strange noises associated with this?

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cmsMar-07-09 07:42 PM
1092 posts,
#32057, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 1

No strange noises at all.

ezMar-08-09 01:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#32058, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 2

95?

*cough* ECU *cough*

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

cmsMar-08-09 05:45 PM
1092 posts,
#32059, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 3

Warmage12Mar-08-09 09:52 PM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#32060, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 4

You said it shook? Would that be a front to back or a side to side? Was this felt in the body of the car, in the steering wheel or both?

Have you checked your brake lines for kinks??? Both metal and rubber. You could have a kinked line on one side. If so i would imagine that if you've touched the brake peddle then the fluid would get trapped, when you stop or let it sit that allows the fluid to slowly get released solving the problem. It would happen fast enough for you to not be able to check it unless you see the line, and it would explain both the shake and the car straining...

Check the metal lines under your car tooo...there are metal lines down there that could have been pinched. i think if you scrubbed on something or especially if you bottomed out... Just some thoughts...trying to help and all...

That last thoughts i have are some sorta strange brake booster failure of some compltetly wierd sort...or like ABS pump mess up, but idk if yours has ABS, and i know nothing about ABS...

Other than that i got nothin...
I love my car...
I love Horsepower...
I love reliability...
So why do i own a DSM again?

scorpo86Mar-09-09 05:46 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#32061, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 5

id say brake booster too, my old truck did the same thing. at one point it was so bad when i made it back home i looked at my rotors and they were red ass hell. so i would say brake booster

cmsMar-09-09 03:27 PM
1092 posts,
#32062, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-09-09 04:06 PM by cms

Originally posted by Warmage12
You said it shook? Would that be a front to back or a side to side? Was this felt in the body of the car, in the steering wheel or both? Have you checked your brake lines for kinks??? Both metal and rubber. You could have a kinked line on one side. If so i would imagine that if you've touched the brake peddle then the fluid would get trapped, when you stop or let it sit that allows the fluid to slowly get released solving the problem. It would happen fast enough for you to not be able to check it unless you see the line, and it would explain both the shake and the car straining... Check the metal lines under your car tooo...there are metal lines down there that could have been pinched. i think if you scrubbed on something or especially if you bottomed out... Just some thoughts...trying to help and all... That last thoughts i have are some sorta strange brake booster failure of some compltetly wierd sort...or like ABS pump mess up, but idk if yours has ABS, and i know nothing about ABS... Other than that i got nothin...

Thanks for all of the info! I will be sure to check the brake lines tonight. Is their anywhere particular that I should look? Is this something that I dont have to have the car lifted to check out? Im not familiar with brakes at all as sad as it is to say. But, I am willing to learn. To answer your questions, it is a side to side shake and you can just kinda feel it in the car which I think has a little influence on the steering wheel shake.

Originally posted by scorpo86
id say brake booster too, my old truck did the same thing. at one point it was so bad when i made it back home i looked at my rotors and they were red ass hell. so i would say brake booster

Lets hope not!

Warmage12Mar-09-09 04:21 PM
168 posts,
#32063, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 7

Eh, it would be easier to raise the car up. But you don't have to. Just one corner at a time if you want to. Same way you'd do it if you were changing a tire. As for checking the rubber lines, you may want to remvoe the wheel. Just check everything.

As for the location of the steel hard lines, they are under the passangver side of the car. There is a small frame support that hangs down fromt eh car floor, they are on the side you can't see them. There are four five lines i believe. Just check them to see if they are pinched. You have side skirts? If your skirts aren't cracked i wouldn't worry about this too much. Just check the rubber ones. If nothings kinked then idk. I guess the only other thing we have is the brake booster problem.

Do we have any other info on the brake booster suggestion. A way to test it or anything?

95 RS sold...

cmsMar-09-09 05:17 PM
1092 posts,
#32066, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-09-09 05:19 PM by cms

I will probly have to do it without jacking it up as I dont have a way to get it into the air nor the warm weather to stay out there forever so I appreciate the pointers you gave me as to where to look. I will do my best with that. As far as the booster, it would be nice to know if there are any test out there to tell if it is faulty or not.

Also, no, I dont have side skirts. However, I do know for sure I havent bottomed out with the vehicle. The only time anything scrapes (which would be the front bumper) is when I pull in the driveway and thats because its a sharp incline. That only happens when I back in and thats @ practically no kind of speed.

Warmage12Mar-10-09 02:15 PM
168 posts,
#32070, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 9

Good, luck with it. Wish i could help more.

95 RS sold...

cmsMar-16-09 03:06 PM
1092 posts,
#32084, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 10
Mar-16-09 03:08 PM by cms

Warmage12, I looked today with no luck. I checked out to the best of my knowledge from what you described above for any lines that would need to be fixed.

Tommorrow I will be taking it to get looked at by the expertise of Matt D (XtremeRS)as Im sure he will be able to find the problem. Thanks for you input though! Also, I will update this after it gets looked out for reference to anyone else who may run into this problem in the future.

-Christopher

Slimyjr.Mar-18-09 03:59 PM
Member since Feb 08th 2007
212 posts,
#32096, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 11

A caliper is either bad and the piston is not depressing properly or the caliper slides are corroded and not allowing the caliper to move back and forth. This is neccesary since we have floating calipers. Only other thing i could think of besides this or what others have said is the porportioning valve and I rarely hear of them going bad.

RoninEclipse2GMar-18-09 04:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32099, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Slimyjr.
A caliper is either bad and the piston is not depressing properly or the caliper slides are corroded and not allowing the caliper to move back and forth. This is neccesary since we have floating calipers. Only other thing i could think of besides this or what others have said is the porportioning valve and I rarely hear of them going bad.

the other VERY common issue is that the slide pins have seized and aren't allowing the caliper to move back to a neutral position after braking. I've seen it happen HUNDREDS of times working in the parts business, if not thousands. usually someone forgot to clean and regrease them or some crud got in during a pad change.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

cmsMar-18-09 07:09 PM
1092 posts,
#32101, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 13

Warmage12, RoninEclipse2G *, Slimyjr. *, scorpo86, freelancefool,

Thank all of you for your suggestions!! RononEclipse2G, Slimyjr, You hit it right on the nail, just a little bit to late, or maybe I read the post too late. Either way, as I stated in my last post that I was going to take it over to Matt's (XtremeRS)house and have him take a look at it. Within 5min he figured out the problem just by the temperature of the rotors. Took the wheel off of the drivers side, checked the caliper and the piston was froze. I took a quick trip to the part store, grabbed a new caliper for $39.99. Matt quickly installed the new caliper, then bleed the brake. After that, everything was working perfect! Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

-Christopher

Warmage12Mar-19-09 06:18 AM
168 posts,
#32102, "RE: ***While Driving, car just starts to shake and then slows down by itself***"
In response to Reply # 14

Damn, that's alot of things that can BREAK on your BRAKES...lol. But seriously,

95 RS sold...

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #32055 Previous topic | Next topic