Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31990
View in linear mode

Subject: "how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...." Previous topic | Next topic
kevoxFeb-18-09 10:09 PM
Member since Jul 21st 2007
145 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31990, "how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
Feb-18-09 10:10 PM by kevox

So it is my understanding that a wider tire (I currently have 215/50/17 and would like to go to 235/45/17) will give increased handling and since I will be needing new tires here (but can't afford new rims at the same time...) I am hoping I can increase tire width a bit...I have the stock Eclipse rims from the 3g Eclipse's and I'm wondering if they will support 235/50/17 or not? Maybe I'm missing something; if so, please educate me! thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., halfasss101, Feb-19-09 12:41 AM, #1
RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., AdministratorCODE4, Feb-19-09 12:51 AM, #2
RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., RoninEclipse2G, Feb-19-09 12:59 PM, #3
      RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., halfasss101, Feb-19-09 04:06 PM, #4
           RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., kevox, Feb-20-09 01:22 AM, #5
                RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., Warmage12, Feb-20-09 09:26 AM, #6
                     RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., Nemo, Feb-20-09 04:50 PM, #7
                          RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., kevox, Apr-11-09 02:40 AM, #8
                               RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., Moderatorcs82685, Apr-11-09 05:24 AM, #9
                                    RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., Moderatorcs82685, Apr-11-09 05:38 AM, #10
                                    RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., RoninEclipse2G, Apr-11-09 09:26 AM, #11
                                    RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...., kevox, Apr-11-09 12:20 PM, #12

halfasss101Feb-19-09 12:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31991, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 0

Generally you can go 2 sizes wider than the original size so putting a 235 on your 215 stock rim shouldn't be a problem. But i haven't gotten to wider tires on mine yet so I'm not sure if the tires will rub on the inside or not.

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Feb-19-09 12:51 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#31992, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by kevox
So it is my understanding that a wider tire (I currently have 215/50/17 and would like to go to 235/45/17) will give increased handling and since I will be needing new tires here (but can't afford new rims at the same time...) I am hoping I can increase tire width a bit...I have the stock Eclipse rims from the 3g Eclipse's and I'm wondering if they will support 235/50/17 or not? Maybe I'm missing something; if so, please educate me! thanks

Read this.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tirespecskey.jsp

That was the first link that came up on google. It is not that hard. Using a rule of thumb that you can go two sizes bigger is not always accurate or a good idea either. Just because you can does not mean you should.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GFeb-19-09 12:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31995, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-19-09 12:59 PM by RoninEclipse2G

you can put that size on your stock rim, but it won't really increase your contact patch or improve your handeling

Why?

Because you are causing the tire to crown itself on a narrower wheel. this will cause the tire to stick out further along the centerline and you won't be using the shoulder of the tire properly. issues this can cause is uneven tire wear, twitchy steering (especially on grooved pavement) and reduced cornering ability.

a 225 wouldn't be too bad, but if you want to do a 235 jump up to an 8" wide wheel

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

halfasss101Feb-19-09 04:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#31998, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
a 225 wouldn't be too bad, but if you want to do a 235 jump up to an 8" wide wheel

agreed. when i upgrade tires i will put 225's on my wheels now (17x7) then 245's on my evo 9 rims that i picked up for track use and slicks

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

kevoxFeb-20-09 01:22 AM
145 posts,
#32000, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks guys, that answers my questio

Warmage12Feb-20-09 09:26 AM
Member since May 24th 2008
168 posts,
#32001, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-20-09 09:28 AM by Warmage12

Best bet if you want to realy go wider is just get wider rims...I'm not sure the offest of my rims, but you can, when you get new rims, fit, as i have fitted them, with the right offset go as wide as 18 by 9 (that's 9 inches wide...hehe) Its just all in the right rim and offset. IDK about cornering but it sure helped with wheel hop and spin during launches.

My old shit rims were very narrow with alot of sidewall...not good for cornering...you may want to consider that...a lower profile tire...i do believe that may help a bit by reducing the side wall, but don't take my word for it.. ...low profiles tire are harsher on the ass though...

I love my car...
I love Horsepower...
I love reliability...
So why do i own a DSM again?

NemoFeb-20-09 04:50 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#32002, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 6

I put P205's on my stock rims and that was plenty. You don't want to get a twitchy/spongey handling ride.

kevoxApr-11-09 02:40 AM
145 posts,
#32160, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 7

Well the Talon is taking much longer than projected to get back on the road (*sigh*....as always!) so I've had enough time to save up for new rims AND tires together

I'm planning on going with some 17x8 rims now with 245x45 tires, any reason I shouldn't go this big?

Moderatorcs82685Apr-11-09 05:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#32161, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 8
Apr-11-09 05:25 AM by cs82685

Originally posted by kevox
Well the Talon is taking much longer than projected to get back on the road (*sigh*....as always!) so I've had enough time to save up for new rims AND tires together I'm planning on going with some 17x8 rims now with 245x45 tires, any reason I shouldn't go this big?

I would do a bit of research on this. There are plenty of people running evo 8/9 wheels which are 17x8 +38mm offset without problems, but IDK if they stuck with the 235's or went bigger on those wheels. Obviously a different platform, but for the evo guys the general consensus (it seems to me) is when they step up to a 245 on the stock 17x8's they go with a 245/40. Is your suspension setup stock? Are you lowered? All things to factor in when trying to find the right wheel/tire combo.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Moderatorcs82685Apr-11-09 05:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#32162, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 9

Just found these posts on tuners tailored to evo rims specifically, but they are the size you're looking at and should give you a good starting point...

Originally posted by 50trimmed1gI'm running evo9 rims on my gsx. One word of advice is that they will rub on hard turns even with stock suspension. But I'm running 245/45/17 tires so that might be the problem. I tried to lower the car with the tokico hp kit and it was impossible. There was like a 1mm gap between the fender and the tire on the front driver side because of the 2g sag issue. The right side had about 1 finger gap and the rears where fine with a 2 finger gap. Make sure you get the right size tire when you get your evo wheels, don't be an idiot like me. lol

Originally posted by aliceI have EVO 8 Rims on my 2g talon with 245/45/17 tires lowered on eibach prokit with stock shocks. I only rub on huge bumps so I have yet to roll my fenders. Also, my tires are huge but don't really stock out much at all. I think they look pretty sick on there and bad ass from the back with these wide ass tires!!

If you want real sexy

Evo MR SE wheels, F1 Tires, and Evo Brembos

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

RoninEclipse2GApr-11-09 09:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32163, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by cs82685
If you want real sexy Evo MR SE wheels, F1 Tires, and Evo Brembos

bitch.

the only thing that would make that setup look better would be if the wheels weren't the SE color. I like the standard MR gunmetal personally.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

kevoxApr-11-09 12:20 PM
145 posts,
#32164, "RE: how wide can my tires be on stock Eclipse rims...."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by cs82685
Originally posted by kevox Is your suspension setup stock? Are you lowered? All things to factor in when trying to find the right wheel/tire combo.

Ya so far the suspension is all stock. This time next year I'll probably be getting new shocks/struts.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31990 Previous topic | Next topic