Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31979
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coil Overs" Previous topic | Next topic
cosFeb-17-09 12:56 PM
Member since Jul 07th 2006
12 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31979, "Coil Overs"

Hello All,
I have a question, would I need to replace the upper strut mounts when installing coilovers?
Thanks
Chris

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Coil Overs, freelancefool, Feb-17-09 10:07 PM, #1
RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-18-09 12:16 PM, #2
      RE: Coil Overs, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-18-09 05:35 PM, #3
           RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-19-09 08:49 AM, #4
                RE: Coil Overs, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-19-09 12:49 PM, #5
                     RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-19-09 02:18 PM, #6
                          RE: Coil Overs, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-19-09 02:55 PM, #7
                               RE: Coil Overs, freelancefool, Feb-19-09 06:14 PM, #8
                                    RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-21-09 03:15 AM, #9
                                         RE: Coil Overs, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-21-09 09:40 AM, #10
                                              RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-21-09 10:03 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Coil Overs, freelancefool, Feb-21-09 04:49 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-22-09 01:54 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Coil Overs, freelancefool, Feb-22-09 08:07 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-25-09 11:32 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Coil Overs, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-25-09 01:23 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-25-09 01:26 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Coil Overs, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-25-09 02:52 PM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Coil Overs, freelancefool, Feb-25-09 04:12 PM, #19
                                                                                           RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-26-09 06:14 AM, #20
                                                                                                RE: Coil Overs, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-26-09 10:27 AM, #21
                                                                                                RE: Coil Overs, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-26-09 10:28 AM, #22
                                                                                                     RE: Coil Overs, cos, Feb-28-09 06:46 AM, #23
                                                                                                          RE: Coil Overs, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-28-09 04:11 PM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: Coil Overs, freelancefool, Mar-04-09 11:02 PM, #25

freelancefoolFeb-17-09 10:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31982, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 0

You shouldn't need to. The coilovers should just bolt in just like the stock springs/shocks.

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cosFeb-18-09 12:16 PM
12 posts,
#31986, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. Can the struts be changed out on the coilover system or would I need to purchase new ones when they go bad?
Thanks
Chris

RoninEclipse2GFeb-18-09 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31989, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 2

depends on the coilover setup. most of the better brands offer a rebuild service for a fraction of the cost of replacement. you'll be stuck on blocks or switching back to stock gear for a week or so while the struts are sent back, rebuilt, and resent to you, but it's much cheaper than replacing a $1000+ coilover setup

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

cosFeb-19-09 08:49 AM
12 posts,
#31993, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for the info. I am stuck with the decision of going with coilovers or a lowering spring and strut set up. How long does the average coilover last. My 95 GS is my everyday driver during the non-winter months. I live in Germany and the roads here are pretty well taken care of. I cant believe that I am having such a hard time in trying to decide on which set up to go with. any pros and cons on both systems would be helpful.
Thanks
Chris

RoninEclipse2GFeb-19-09 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31994, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 4

Coilovers usually give you more adjustability depending on the setup but cost is higher, usually around $1000+. I haven't heard about unusually short lifespans unless you're doing dirt roads constantly.
Coilovers usually allow you to adjust ride height, strut dampening, sometimes even caster and camber. with the height adjustment you can corner balance the car for even better handling.

strut and spring combos are considerably cheaper starting around $400+ but you may only get a lowered, stiffer ride. installation is easier because you don't have to adjust the ride height, just bolt them in, realign the car and go.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

cosFeb-19-09 02:18 PM
12 posts,
#31996, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks Erik for the info. I saw at modacar.com they have a suspension package with Skunk2 coils and Koni reds for 629. L:ooks like they are sleeves. Any comments on these or this kind of set up?
Thanks
Chris

RoninEclipse2GFeb-19-09 02:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31997, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm not a big fan of sleeves, it's too easy to drop things below what the struts can handle and blow them out. just my opinion

Erik P.

freelancefoolFeb-19-09 06:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31999, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 7

My buddy Darnell has about 100k miles on his coilovers. That is pretty unheard of though. Most people get around 40k-50k miles. The JIC FTL-A2s that he has were about $2k. To have them rebuilt would cost him about $900. You results may be very different though since the roads dont suck where you are and you can get better damping. His JICs are the old Japanese valving which is pretty harsh for American roads, but would be great in Japan.

My Blog

cosFeb-21-09 03:15 AM
12 posts,
#32004, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks guys for all your input. I am still undecided on what I would like to do as far as a set up. I like the fact about being able to adjust whenever needed with coilovers, but do not like the fact that I would have to either replace or send in the coilovers once they do go bad. With the lowering spring strut I would be able just to replace the struts once they go bad which is a quarter of the price of replacing coilovers. I have seen pros and cons on both sides. Will just have to sit back and make a decision.
Thanks
Chris

RoninEclipse2GFeb-21-09 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32005, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 9

Here's a big question for you.

What are you looking to get out of your suspension setup?

do you want a daily driver that won't see much track use but you'd like something that looks better and handles a bit tighter? Or do you plan on going to the track regularly and really need the adjustability? are you just one of us nuts that has to have the adjustability even though you may never need it?

once you answer that you'll have a better idea of which route you should go.

on a side note, performance coilovers don't really have an unusually different lifespan than regular struts. they just tend to be owned by people that will drive on them harder.

Erik P.

cosFeb-21-09 10:03 AM
12 posts,
#32006, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks again Erik, she is my everyday driver and doubt I will be going to the track although Hochenheim and Nurngerg Ring is not far away for a quick test run. I went with the Takico Illuminas package. Was wondering, will the Tein Upper Mounts fit with this application?

freelancefoolFeb-21-09 04:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32007, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 11

I doubt it. You won't need them anyway. Just reuse the stock hardware. I've been running Illuminas with Goldline springs on my car for about a year now on the stock top hats. No problems there.

My Blog

cosFeb-22-09 01:54 AM
12 posts,
#32008, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 12

Thanks Clay,
My original mounts are bad. Would you know where I could get a good set of mounts?
Thanks
Chris

freelancefoolFeb-22-09 08:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32009, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 13

They shouldn't go bad. All the top hats are is a metal shroud with a rubber bushing to keep the springs from making noise. If anything, find someone who has a car they are parting out (importpartsman@hotmail.com) and buy the top hats used from them. I had about 150k miles on my top hats and have almost 170k miles on them now.

My Blog

cosFeb-25-09 11:32 AM
12 posts,
#32022, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 14

Thanks again, sorry was off from work the last two days. One more question, would I need to get camber kits for my set up?
Thanks
Chris

RoninEclipse2GFeb-25-09 01:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32023, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 15

How much drop was this kit?

Erik P.

cosFeb-25-09 01:26 PM
12 posts,
#32024, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 16

1.5 all around

RoninEclipse2GFeb-25-09 02:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32025, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 17

you don't have to but it will help.

Erik P.

freelancefoolFeb-25-09 04:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32026, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 18

Look into the DIY camber mod. You need some Grade 10 bolts and some washers to correct the camber out back. The fronts would need a camber kit to correct the alignment. You have three options with the camber kit: Ingalls kit which you change the mounts for the upper control arms, the adjustable ball joint which presses into the upper control arm where the stock ball joint is and then you have the SPC control arms that RRE makes. Price and adjustability are the big difference between the three.

My Blog

cosFeb-26-09 06:14 AM
12 posts,
#32031, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 19

What if I change to upper pillow ball mounts? Would I still need to go with the camber kit?
Thanks
Chris

AdministratorCODE4Feb-26-09 10:27 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#32032, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by cos
What if I change to upper pillow ball mounts? Would I still need to go with the camber kit? Thanks Chris

Having an adjustable upper pillow ball mount will not change the clamber angle on double wishbone system. What you need to install to correct excessive negative clamber is either an adjustable upper ball joint or adjustable upper control arm mounts.

End result is to locate the upper control arm closer or further away from the body.

---

2012 2500HD LML

AdministratorCODE4Feb-26-09 10:28 AM
2552 posts,
#32033, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 20
Feb-26-09 10:30 AM by CODE4

damn. Double post.

---

2012 2500HD LML

cosFeb-28-09 06:46 AM
12 posts,
#32040, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 22

Thanks for the info. What would you suggest I use for the Tokico Spring/strut set up 1.5 drop all around?
Thanks
Chris

AdministratorCODE4Feb-28-09 04:11 PM
2552 posts,
#32041, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 23

Sure. Tokico makes great products. I run a 1.2" with Eibach Pro-Kits and have no issues at all.

Tokico Illuminas 5 way are on the drawing board soon.

---

2012 2500HD LML

freelancefoolMar-04-09 11:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#32050, "RE: Coil Overs"
In response to Reply # 23

Use the upper control arm mounts. That will be the simplest one to install and adjust. It's always one of the cheaper options. I would just look at the three options and make a decision based on price, ease of installation and competency of your local shop. Talk to them and see what kind of alignment kits they have used in the past.

My Blog

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31979 Previous topic | Next topic