Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31886
View in linear mode

Subject: "Terrible squeak coming from suspension..." Previous topic | Next topic
brandons_97gsJan-21-09 05:19 PM
Member since Jul 06th 2008
42 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31886, "Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."

I have searched some regarding this problem and was hoping that someone may be able to help me a little more.

There is a horrible squeak (metal on metal) coming from my passenger side. The noise has gotten worse the last few days. It is most prominent going over ANY type of bump and while turning. My outter tie-rods are new (last 4 mos. or so)along with both axles. I have plenty of power steering fluid. I put the front end up in the air today after work and no noise while turning the wheels. The noise quit after removing the slightest bit of weight with the jack, which has me guessing its something in the suspension.

I was planning on replacing all the bushings with the aftermarket ones when I do my springs/strut upgrade. Could a bad ball joint be anything to consider also? Will driving the car like this until I have time to fix it do any damage to my car???

Anything else to check out or consider. God I hate unexpected problems. Hence them being problems. haha.

Thanks guys
brandon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., RoninEclipse2G, Jan-21-09 05:24 PM, #1
RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., freelancefool, Jan-21-09 07:41 PM, #2
RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., Nemo, Jan-21-09 09:21 PM, #3
      RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., brandons_97gs, Jan-23-09 04:10 PM, #4
RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., brandons_97gs, Jan-26-09 08:16 PM, #5
RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., freelancefool, Jan-26-09 08:17 PM, #6
RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., Recall95rs, Feb-01-09 10:57 AM, #7
      RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., brandons_97gs, Feb-08-09 12:16 PM, #8
           RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., RoninEclipse2G, Feb-08-09 02:12 PM, #9
                RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., freelancefool, Feb-08-09 05:56 PM, #10
                     RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., brandons_97gs, Feb-08-09 07:13 PM, #11
                          RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., freelancefool, Feb-08-09 10:21 PM, #12
                               RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., halfasss101, Feb-09-09 01:00 AM, #13
                               RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., freelancefool, Feb-09-09 05:52 AM, #14
                               RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., brandons_97gs, Feb-09-09 05:53 PM, #15
                                    RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..., freelancefool, Feb-09-09 06:00 PM, #16

RoninEclipse2GJan-21-09 05:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31887, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd start checking bushings, sway bar bushings tend to squeak really bad when they go. try using a mechanics stethescope while having someone compress the suspension. getting one side up in the air on a low ramp helps, just make sure the car can't fall on you

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

freelancefoolJan-21-09 07:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31888, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 0

Metal on Metal in a car is always a bad sign. Jack up your car. Grab the wheel and move it.

Do you feel any play?

Check the upper and lower ball joints. One is over the tire, the other two are underneath the brake assembly. Do you see cracks in the boots? Do you have play in these locations?

Let us know.

My Blog

NemoJan-21-09 09:21 PM
Member since Nov 28th 2008
366 posts,
#31889, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 2

second that metal on metal comment-DON'T do it! That's a disaster and maybe a wreck waiting to happen. Be safe bro!

brandons_97gsJan-23-09 04:10 PM
42 posts,
#31890, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 3

Since it has become a little warmer here the squeak has gone away..somewhat. Now its not every little bump/turn. But it's still there. I wish I had the resources to really look into this at the moment. With work being as overwhelming as it is, I'm afraid I will have to take it someplace and have it checked out. I will update you guys when I find out more...I sure hope its nothing too serious.

brandons_97gsJan-26-09 08:16 PM
42 posts,
#31911, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I just got my car back from having it looked at. They checked all the suspension pieces-everything seemed fine. All they did was grease up all the bushings, and no more squeak. Everything seemed fine...until this evening. The squeak has returned. I am really getting annoyed with this and am wondering if this severe cold has anything to do with the recurring noise. It does seem to go away when the weather isn't so cold.

I don't know what to do.

freelancefoolJan-26-09 08:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31912, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 5

Start checking to see if you have a loose bolt on the suspension components.

My Blog

Recall95rsFeb-01-09 10:57 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2008
11 posts,
#31931, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 5

My car had some sounds like that, but mind was the upper strut bushings.. i replaced them and still did not fix it, finally i got some white lithium grease and put it in between the bushing and it went away.

brandons_97gsFeb-08-09 12:16 PM
42 posts,
#31951, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 7

I finally had time to take the car in for another look. Turns out its bad bushings on the lower control arm (the c shaped one). They greased it, but probably won't last long due to how bad they are. Safety-wise they say nothing is wrong, it'll just be squeaky. And since having someone else replace the bushings is WAY out of the question since it's hella-pricey, I think I'm going to get a master bushing kit. I hear those are really time consuming.

RoninEclipse2GFeb-08-09 02:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31952, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 8

it'll take you a full weekend to do the master bushing kit, don't forget the alignment!

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

freelancefoolFeb-08-09 05:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31953, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 9

The master bushing kit that Prothane and Energy suspension sell do not include the bushing on the lower compression arms. Those bushings must remain rubber because it twists on 3 different axis. Urethane can't twist in that many directions without tearing out. Your best best is to just replace the whole compression arm. The Mevotech brand arms are $150 from www.autopartswarehouse.com. They seem to be a much nicer quality than the eBay arms.

I wouldn't skimp on suspension components. That's just me though.

My Blog

brandons_97gsFeb-08-09 07:13 PM
42 posts,
#31954, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 10

After looking into what's required for the bushing upgrade-I may not worry about that at the moment. As for replacing the control arm-should i replace both sides at once or just worry about it as they go? My car has 154k on it and is an illinois car. I will need an alignment after replacing the arm right?

freelancefoolFeb-08-09 10:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31955, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 11

I'd replace both of them at the same time. What you will probably find out though is that you have more ball joints that are bad. It gets expensive replacing everything at once though. I've been down that road before. You could replace them one at a time if you don't have the cash to do everything.

You will need an alignment though once you start replacing worn components.

My Blog

halfasss101Feb-09-09 01:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#31956, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 12

how about the pads that sit between the springs and the shock tower itself? Mine were damn near hanging off in shreds when i got my car.

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

freelancefoolFeb-09-09 05:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31957, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 13

That is there to prevent noise. It doesn't serve any other purpose.

My Blog

brandons_97gsFeb-09-09 05:53 PM
42 posts,
#31958, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by freelancefool
What you will probably find out though is that you have more ball joints that are bad.

Thank god the lower lateral arms have been replaced already!! I will have to take a look myself then to determine what needs replacing. Especially since I'm wanting to put a drop on it with some new struts.

Thanks

freelancefoolFeb-09-09 06:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31959, "RE: Terrible squeak coming from suspension..."
In response to Reply # 15

I did all my control arms at once. I think it cost me something like $1200 to do the front and rear. I did the polyurethane bushing kit at the same time though.

My Blog

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31886 Previous topic | Next topic