Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31772
View in linear mode

Subject: "Power Steering Removal" Previous topic | Next topic
RebelRiderR6Nov-03-06 02:38 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31772, "Power Steering Removal"

I have more problems with my power steering then I think anyone can ever have. My belt has shoot off more than 15 times and is has gotten tangled in my timing belt several times which you all know caused a ton of damage.

I had my unorthodox under drive pulley taken off and replaced back to stock, had it checked to see if it’s aligned. I also replaced the power steering pump. The problem still exists and no matter who I take it to they claim to fix it and then it happens again.

I am sick and tired of it causing me problems so I have come to the decision to remove it. I have the phantom LSD on my car. I was wondering what do I need to do to take the power steering out of my car.

I understand that I am going to need to drain the power steering fluid but I wasn’t sure what else to do following that. I want it to be a little less work trying to turn or park because to my understanding the reason why it is so hard now is because I am trying to push the fluid through manually.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=24657

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Power Steering Removal, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-03-06 09:31 AM, #1
RE: Power Steering Removal, RebelRiderR6, Nov-03-06 10:49 AM, #2
      RE: Power Steering Removal, FluxCapacitor, Nov-03-06 11:15 AM, #3
           RE: Power Steering Removal, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-03-06 11:26 AM, #4
                RE: Power Steering Removal, RebelRiderR6, Nov-03-06 12:39 PM, #5
                     RE: Power Steering Removal, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-03-06 02:32 PM, #6
                          RE: Power Steering Removal, RebelRiderR6, Nov-04-06 03:24 AM, #7
                               RE: Power Steering Removal, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-04-06 04:21 AM, #8
                                    RE: Power Steering Removal, dsmmyth, Nov-04-06 12:20 PM, #9
                                         RE: Power Steering Removal, RebelRiderR6, Dec-10-06 04:51 PM, #10
                                              RE: Power Steering Removal, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-11-06 12:15 PM, #11
                                              RE: Power Steering Removal, tbone, Dec-13-06 04:55 AM, #12
                                              RE: Power Steering Removal, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-13-06 05:55 AM, #13
                                              RE: Power Steering Removal, 2GeclipseRS, May-16-07 08:41 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Power Steering Removal, totaleclipse_05, May-25-07 12:45 PM, #15
                                                        RE: Power Steering Removal, totaleclipse_05, May-28-07 04:48 AM, #18
                                                             RE: Power Steering Removal, WickedESi, May-28-07 06:26 AM, #19
                                                             RE: Power Steering Removal, Moderatorbullettdsm, May-28-07 06:46 AM, #20
                                                                  RE: Power Steering Removal, totaleclipse_05, May-28-07 12:02 PM, #21
                                                                       RE: Power Steering Removal, 2GeclipseRS, May-30-07 04:52 PM, #22
                                                                            RE: Power Steering Removal, totaleclipse_05, May-30-07 05:15 PM, #23
                                                                                 RE: Power Steering Removal, Moderatorbullettdsm, May-31-07 12:32 AM, #24
                                                                                      RE: Power Steering Removal, totaleclipse_05, May-31-07 04:42 AM, #25
                                                                                           RE: Power Steering Removal, RoninEclipse2G, Jun-04-07 04:26 AM, #26
                                              RE: Power Steering Removal, RoninEclipse2G, May-25-07 12:52 PM, #16
                                                   RE: Power Steering Removal, TKI, May-25-07 05:55 PM, #17

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-06 09:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31773, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Probably the tensioner bearing failing that is making it come off, but okay.

There's two lines going into the PS rack. Connect them together.

Rip everything else out.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RebelRiderR6Nov-03-06 10:49 AM
61 posts,
#31774, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 1

Am I going to have any problems when I connect the two lines going into the PS rack and then Rip everything else out.

Is removing the PS going to cause any problem is what I am getting at?

FluxCapacitorNov-03-06 11:15 AM
Member since Oct 26th 2006
26 posts,
#31775, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes it will cause you problems. The ps system is made to have ps fluid in it while the car is running, using the ps system without the fluid circulating through it will cause the gears inside the power steering to chew themselves up. You want to convert to MANUAL steering, and I hear the parts for that are not only hard to find, but it's a pain in the ass to install. But yeah, I would recommend against just disconnecting the lines to your power steering.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-06 11:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#31776, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 3

That's why you connect the lines on the rack together. it keeps the fluid in it, and instead of pushing fluid from the rack, you're just moving it from one side to the other.

For what its worth, you *can* just disconnect the lines. The rack won't implode or fall apart if you do.

No manual rack for a 2GNT exists.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

RebelRiderR6Nov-03-06 12:39 PM
61 posts,
#31777, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 4

So if I connect the lines on the rack together to keep the fluid in it, and instead of pushing fluid from the rack, I will just be moving it from one side to the other, will this still make it easier to steer? (ex: parking)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-06 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#31778, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 5

No, not really. It's going to be hard regardless of what you do.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

RebelRiderR6Nov-04-06 03:24 AM
61 posts,
#31779, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 6

I understand its going to be hard, but I guess where I am getting at is when I take it out and connect those tubes will it be alittle easier then how it was when I had everything still in there?

Do I have any other options?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-04-06 04:21 AM
8331 posts,
#31780, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 7

It will be the same as it is now with no belt. Your option is to fix the issue and keep the power steering.

Terry

dsmmythNov-04-06 12:20 PM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#31781, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, no power steering sucks. Big time.

Unless you're not driving daily, then you really don't need PS.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

RebelRiderR6Dec-10-06 04:51 PM
61 posts,
#31782, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 9

okay I ended up not removing my powersteering but we decided just to use a belt for the powersteering and no ac. My mechanic checked over the stepup and everything seems okay until the drive homl\
Well I was at a stop light and I shifted into neutral and did a light rev and I felt the belt slip off. I pulled over and yes it slipped off with no noticable marks on the belt. What can explain this for keep happening?

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-11-06 12:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#31783, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 10

Simply put, either geometry or tension (provided the belt is good).

Either the tension on the belt is incorrect (or slipping) or one of the components crooked (pulleys crooked or bent or the whole power steering pump crooked).

The tension is kind of self explanatory. I check my geometry with a T straight edge that I make. Basically I put a piece (usually wood) on the end of a straight edge at 90* and then lay the straight edge against the pulleys to eyeball for gaps. I guess that's not the greatest explanation but the drive is to check and see that the pulleys are in line so the belt does not ride off.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

tboneDec-13-06 04:55 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2006
103 posts,
#31784, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 11
Dec-13-06 04:57 AM by tbone

check the tensioner pully.
heres how.

First, go to the auto parts store or a bearing shop and get a 6301 sealed bearing.(about $5.00)

Now go home and get the following tools,
hammer, 3/8" ratchet, 15MM socket, 3/8" extenion, spring clip removal tool, or a small regular screwdriver

Pull off your belt(or in your case, rev the motor until it falls off)
grab the pully and wiggle it. If it moves in any direction other than the intended rotation, the bearing is NFG, I am talking even 1/2 of a MM.

Simply unbolt the pully slide it twards the rear of the car and it slip right out of the bracket.

Next you need to remove the pully from the threaded shaft it rides on. use that hammer, one decent hit should knock it loose and you can pull it out.

Next remove the spring clip that hold the bearing inplace.

After that,knock the bearing out of the pully. Place it on its side,(spring clip side down) use the 3/8" socket extension placed on the bearing. Use a hammer and give it a solid couple of wacks. The bearing will pop right out.

Once the bearing is out of the pully, clean the pully up with a rag or paper towel.

The new bearing needs to be "press" fitted into the pully. that is simple. Carefully use your hammer and that 3/8" extension. Mind the seal, you dont want ruin the seal or youll be doing this again in a few months.

Once the bearing is in the pully, replace the spring clip, the threaded shaft. Slip it back onto the motor, repace the belt and tighten everything down.

Start your motor up and notice how much more quiet the motor sounds now that the spent bearing has been repalced

This job takes about 15 minutes to comlpete

Tom

98 RS 5spd.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-13-06 05:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#31785, "RE: Power Steering Removal"

Originally posted by RebelRiderR6
okay I ended up not removing my powersteering but we decided just to use a belt for the powersteering and no ac. My mechanic checked over the stepup and everything seems okay until the drive homl\ Well I was at a stop light and I shifted into neutral and did a light rev and I felt the belt slip off. I pulled over and yes it slipped off with no noticable marks on the belt. What can explain this for keep happening?

The PS bracket may be off-true, forcing the pump out of alignment.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

2GeclipseRSMay-16-07 08:41 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#31786, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 13
May-16-07 08:42 AM by 2GeclipseRS

I'm in the process of this. I'm connecting the lines. Um, should i add some fluid before looping them? Which line if so? What should i use to connect the lines and where can i get the peice?

Any write ups on ac removal? I mean, i didn't want to take it out but fuck it. My windows roll down.

Rather just bring this thread back than make another.

totaleclipse_05May-25-07 12:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#31787, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I'm in the process of this. I'm connecting the lines. Um, should i add some fluid before looping them? Which line if so? What should i use to connect the lines and where can i get the peice? Any write ups on ac removal? I mean, i didn't want to take it out but fuck it. My windows roll down. Rather just bring this thread back than make another.

I'm in the process also. Just kind of wondering what the people used to connect the two ports on the rack together.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

totaleclipse_05May-28-07 04:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#31788, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Just kind of wondering what the people used to connect the two ports on the rack together.

Anybody do this?

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

WickedESiMay-28-07 06:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#31789, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 18
May-28-07 06:26 AM by WickedESi

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05 Just kind of wondering what the people used to connect the two ports on the rack together.
Anybody do this?

I started to hunt for something to fit but just kind of gave up on it, 4 years ago...

I think I remember the size of the threads to be 14mm-1.5 we'd have to piece something together off something like http://mcmaster.com .

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-28-07 06:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#31790, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 18
May-28-07 06:46 AM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05 Just kind of wondering what the people used to connect the two ports on the rack together.
Anybody do this?

Honestly? No (I mean I haven't).

All (maybe 5 or 6) that I have done this to are still turning fine. I just left the hoses open, lol. In theory, it will eventually take on some form of water and some parts will start to rust, but IMO, probably not for the life of the car.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

totaleclipse_05May-28-07 12:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#31791, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Honestly? No (I mean I haven't). All (maybe 5 or 6) that I have done this to are still turning fine. I just left the hoses open, lol. In theory, it will eventually take on some form of water and some parts will start to rust, but IMO, probably not for the life of the car.

What do you mean by "left the hoses open" Mark?

Mike D

2GeclipseRSMay-30-07 04:52 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#31792, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 21

I'm guessing he means a simple "cut them and let that be that". I dont like the sound of that.

Fuck it. I'll replace the lines, pulley bearing, pulley(do aftermarket aem pulleys come with bearings?), res and bring the power steering back into the picture. I'll probably keep the ac too. If I ever need the room in the future, they'll come out.

totaleclipse_05May-30-07 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#31793, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 22

Do you mean to just unbolt the lines from the rack and thats it mark?

Mike D

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-31-07 12:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#31794, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 23

Do you mean to just unbolt the lines from the rack and thats it mark?

Yup. That's all I did. It wouldn't take too much to route a hose from one to the other (they are on the same side next to each other) but I never bothered. The first one I did I said I would get around to it and never did. Three years ago and still going strong

Captain Caveman

totaleclipse_05May-31-07 04:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#31795, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 24

Alright, that's all I needed to hear then, thanks Mark. I thought it was "required" to connect them together or else the rack would get damaged very soon or something.

Mike D

RoninEclipse2GJun-04-07 04:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31796, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 25

of course everyone had to talk about powersteering belts being lunched and of course mine decided to get eaten, turns out the bolt on the drivers side of the pump decided to grow legs allowing the pump to flex slightly in the bracket, sliding the belt off.

anyone know the size of that bolt so I can pick one up on the way home? I don't want to take the whole pump loose just to get a bolt size when I dont' have the time.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

RoninEclipse2GMay-25-07 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31797, "RE: Power Steering Removal"

sounds like your crank pulley is slightly too far out or the tensioner pulley isn't tightened enough/bad bearing, that's the problems i've had with the belt popping off

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

TKIMay-25-07 05:55 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
528 posts,
#31798, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 16
May-25-07 06:00 PM by TKI

If you replace the bearing remember to tell them if it is shielded or not, and if so how it is. See if you have an Applied Industrial Technologies in your area. You can get a good price usually on our bearings.

6301 2ZJEM (Metal Shielded on both sides)
6301 2RS (Rubber Shielded on both sides)

I believe those are primarly stocked in the SKF brand, but you could probably get them also in a Koyo which is a cheaper, but decent replacement.

Im not try to make a sells pitch, just trying to give ya some info to help you out if you decided to replace it.

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)
'94 Plymouth Laser RS (sold)
'04 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t (sold)
'08 Silverado LTZ (daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31772 Previous topic | Next topic