Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31627
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened" Previous topic | Next topic
DytDSMDec-10-08 04:08 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2007
51 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31627, "Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"

I hit a huge pot hole on the way to work this morning and now something in my suspension is acting up. The steering wheel will jerk to the left usually when braking or if i just let off the gas, most of the time while im on the gas its fine. I took off the wheel and checked everything out. Nothing was broke, bent, or loose at all that i could tell, so i put on a different rim to see if that might be it. Well it seemed alright, but when the car got up to temp it started doing it again. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Im lowered about 1.5 inches on tokico hp shocks and springs.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, DytDSM, Dec-10-08 04:26 PM, #1
RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, Moderatorteklein, Dec-10-08 08:35 PM, #2
RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, foggy45, Dec-10-08 10:33 PM, #3
      RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, halfasss101, Dec-10-08 11:43 PM, #4
           RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, DytDSM, Dec-16-08 11:27 AM, #5
                RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, Moderatorteklein, Dec-18-08 06:44 AM, #6
                     RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-19-08 02:22 PM, #7
                          RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, DytDSM, Dec-19-08 07:59 PM, #8
                               RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, eclipse982nrRST, Dec-19-08 10:53 PM, #9
                                    RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, Moderatorteklein, Dec-19-08 11:53 PM, #10
                                         RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, DytDSM, Dec-20-08 08:37 AM, #11
                                         RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-21-08 04:37 PM, #12
                                              RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened, Petri, Dec-22-08 10:25 PM, #13

DytDSMDec-10-08 04:26 PM
51 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31628, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't think of this before but could the steering rack be damaged by hitting a pot hole?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinDec-10-08 08:35 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#31629, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 1

Take it for an alignment.

foggy45Dec-10-08 10:33 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#31630, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DytDSM
I didn't think of this before but could the steering rack be damaged by hitting a pot hole?

steering endlinks possibly
but an alignment shop should be able to tell real quick what it is once they get it on the rack

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

halfasss101Dec-10-08 11:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#31631, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 3

ya go get an alignment. My car did that when i let off the gas and coasted too. Alignment fixed it.

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

DytDSMDec-16-08 11:27 AM
51 posts,
#31643, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok I got an alignment done, and still have the problem. It only happens when im in gear and not giving it gas. When coasting in neutral or while giving it gas its fine. Theres also a popping sound i can hear but only while coasting in gear. The only thing i can think of is possibly an axle problem?

ModeratortekleinDec-18-08 06:44 AM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#31672, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 5

Long shut, but check your drivers side wheel bearing.

eclipse982nrRSTDec-19-08 02:22 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#31673, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 6

Popping sounds can be caused by wheel bearings or ball joints.

Did you jack the side up and try moving the wheel side to side or up and down? Do you have any play in either of those directions?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

DytDSMDec-19-08 07:59 PM
51 posts,
#31674, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 7

Well i took it around the block to show a friend what it was doing to see what he thought and the axle broke, so im guessing thats what it was lol. I dont understand how a pot hole could cause this though? I put in a new axle and its fine now, it rides just a little more shaky than it used to but feels about normal.

eclipse982nrRSTDec-19-08 10:53 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#31675, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by DytDSM
Well i took it around the block to show a friend what it was doing to see what he thought and the axle broke, so im guessing thats what it was lol. I dont understand how a pot hole could cause this though? I put in a new axle and its fine now, it rides just a little more shaky than it used to but feels about normal.

Um, where was it broke?

I would demand your money back from whoever did you alignment dude. How the fuck do you align a car with a broken axle? Thats shitty service. EVERY time a vehicle comes in for an alignment at our shop, we ALWAYS ALWAYS check the steering/suspension, tires, and anything else that can throw off the alignment for being loose, broken or worn.

Wow.

Glad to see you got it resolved though!

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

ModeratortekleinDec-19-08 11:53 PM
1699 posts,
#31676, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 9

If its still more shaky than it used to, you probably want to get that wheel on that side balanced.

DytDSMDec-20-08 08:37 AM
51 posts,
#31677, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 10

It broke at the joint on the wheel side.

RoninEclipse2GDec-21-08 04:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31678, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by teklein
If its still more shaky than it used to, you probably want to get that wheel on that side balanced.

the bad axle probably caused the tire to scrub funny and wore it out of balance. Like Tim said, rebalance the wheel.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

PetriDec-22-08 10:25 PM
Member since May 25th 2006
25 posts,
#31695, "RE: Hit pot hole, cant figure out what heppened"
In response to Reply # 12

sorry to hear

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31627 Previous topic | Next topic