Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31588
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alignment question" Previous topic | Next topic
squeebNov-15-08 12:01 PM
Member since Mar 12th 2008
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31588, "Alignment question"
Nov-15-08 01:55 PM by squeeb

I did a search, and I believe I found the answer I was looking for, but I just want to make sure.

I'm about to have the tie rod end replaced on my car. I was told this would require an alignment as well. Thats fine and all...but I will be purchasing new wheels/tires soon(as per my previous thread). Will I need a 2nd alignment after installing the wheels? (the tires are coming pre-balanced)

I would prefer to do it all at once, but I just can't afford to get the repair, and purchase the wheels all at the same time.
Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-15-08 04:33 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31589, "RE: Alignment question"
In response to Reply # 0

No you should not need an alignment if you change rims/tires.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse982nrRSTNov-17-08 03:37 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#31590, "RE: Alignment question"
In response to Reply # 1

My opinion.

Put your tie rod on yourself. Count the threads when you remove it, install the new one and get it as close as you can. Then wait until you get your new tires for your alignment.

If your tires are junk now or have an odd wear pattern on then, the person doing the alignment would adjust to those tires. New tires can make a difference in the alignment, not HUGE, but they can.

That is just my personal opinion.

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

barza21Nov-18-08 01:14 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
#31591, "RE: Alignment question"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by eclipse982nrRST
My opinion. Put your tie rod on yourself. Count the threads when you remove it, install the new one and get it as close as you can. Then wait until you get your new tires for your alignment. If your tires are junk now or have an odd wear pattern on then, the person doing the alignment would adjust to those tires. New tires can make a difference in the alignment, not HUGE, but they can. That is just my personal opinion.

True, count your tie rod thread when you take it off, or else you are gonna have to guess, and you dont want to guess. I went thru 4 set of tires in 3 weeks because I forgot to count the thread and then guessed how much it should have. (front tires only)

Just my .02¢

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31588 Previous topic | Next topic