Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31544
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wheel size" Previous topic | Next topic
squeebNov-02-08 11:59 AM
Member since Mar 12th 2008
17 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31544, "Wheel size"

Guys, I'm going to be picking up some new wheels soon. I checked out some posts on this site, but I just wanna be absolutely sure the size I'm looking at will fit. I drive a '99 RS

I was looking at...

17x7 wheels
225/45-17 tires.

Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Wheel size, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-02-08 01:51 PM, #1
RE: Wheel size, DirtMegirt, Nov-02-08 01:59 PM, #2
RE: Wheel size, squeeb, Nov-02-08 04:36 PM, #3
      RE: Wheel size, DirtMegirt, Nov-03-08 12:11 AM, #4
           RE: Wheel size, squeeb, Nov-03-08 07:50 AM, #5
                RE: Wheel size, SilvrEclips, Nov-03-08 08:51 AM, #6
                     RE: Wheel size, DirtMegirt, Nov-03-08 12:10 PM, #7
                          RE: Wheel size, Moderatorteklein, Nov-03-08 12:50 PM, #8
                               RE: Wheel size, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-03-08 02:04 PM, #9
                                    RE: Wheel size, djtrickee, Nov-03-08 02:19 PM, #10
                                         RE: Wheel size, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-03-08 02:41 PM, #11
                                              RE: Wheel size, squeeb, Nov-03-08 05:50 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Wheel size, squeeb, Dec-05-08 02:14 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Wheel size, Petri, Dec-22-08 10:32 PM, #14

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-02-08 01:51 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31545, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 0

Thats the same size I have with a 40mm off set. I have test fitted the same size with a 35mm offset and both fit fine. 35mm tuck the tires into the well just a tiny bit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DirtMegirtNov-02-08 01:59 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#31546, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 0

Tire size will fit and it will still be within range for the speedo sensor to not be off too much. What is the offset of the wheel?

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

squeebNov-02-08 04:36 PM
17 posts,
#31547, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not sure about the offset..the store I was looking at didn't seem to have that info listed. Here is the manufacturer's link to the wheel I was looking at: clicky

Thanks.

DirtMegirtNov-03-08 12:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#31548, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 3
Nov-03-08 12:12 AM by DirtMegirt

Looks like they offer your choice of wheel with our bolt pattern in 3 different offsets: +35, +42, and +48. +42 should be fine, however i'm not sure about the other 2.

Edit: Refer to STT's post above to see that +35 will also fit fine.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

squeebNov-03-08 07:50 AM
17 posts,
#31549, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok. I'm new to this stuff...which offset is more preferable?

Thanks for the info guys.

SilvrEclipsNov-03-08 08:51 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#31550, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 5

I would go with the 35mm. You dont want the tires to stick outside of the fenders.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

DirtMegirtNov-03-08 12:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#31551, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 6

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but on a wheel with a positive offset, a smaller offset (35mm) would make the wheel stick out further than a larger offset? Either way, I would stick with an offset closer to stock, and go with the 42mm.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

ModeratortekleinNov-03-08 12:50 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#31552, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by DirtMegirt
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but on a wheel with a positive offset, a smaller offset (35mm) would make the wheel stick out further than a larger offset? Either way, I would stick with an offset closer to stock, and go with the 42mm.

Thats my understanding.

But personally, I would go with 35. They bring the tires right to the edge of the fender, about four millimeters in.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-03-08 02:04 PM
8331 posts,
#31553, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-03-08 03:18 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Edit: I was wrong.....had my memory backwards. I have 4 35mm and 1 42 due to order mixup. I just went out and pulled a rim off my car and checked. The 42mm will sit in farther

My advise is to buy the 42mm. 35mm if your lowered, you will hit the fender lip.

djtrickeeNov-03-08 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#31554, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 9
Nov-03-08 02:20 PM by djtrickee

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-03-08 02:41 PM
8331 posts,
#31555, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 10
Nov-03-08 03:19 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Originally posted by djtrickee

I dont know if your arguing with me or agreeing, I just cant think tonight.

http://www.enkei.com/Performance%20specs/evo5.html

Edit: I am sorry....asshole ^^^^ is right. I had it backwards. I have 1 42 offset rim and the rims on my car are 35mm. the 42 sits in farther. buy the 42, I just went out and pulled 1 off my car and checked.

Terry

squeebNov-03-08 05:50 PM
17 posts,
#31556, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 11
Nov-03-08 06:29 PM by squeeb

So go with the 42mm? Got it.

Thanks

squeebDec-05-08 02:14 AM
17 posts,
#31625, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 12
Dec-05-08 02:26 AM by squeeb

Guys..my tires arrived. I am still waiting on the wheels. But now that I have seen these in person, I am seriously starting to worry about the width..and to make matters worse I dug through search and found posts stating that 225 is bad for 7 wide, and to go with 215.

Just from eyeballing the tires, it appears they may hit this curved bar (I don't know what its called) thats up near the top of my wheels.

Can I get some more information on this?

PetriDec-22-08 10:32 PM
Member since May 25th 2006
25 posts,
#31696, "RE: Wheel size"
In response to Reply # 13

My wheels are 18x8 offset I forgot? Tires 225x40, with a 1.5" drop and the rear hits the inner plastic fender well cover only when I have a person in the back and going fast like on a highway ramp.

But I love the way the wheels look, they sit flush with the body

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31544 Previous topic | Next topic