Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31526
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bleeding my brakes today and..." Previous topic | Next topic
adamztyOct-19-08 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31526, "Bleeding my brakes today and..."

got the back ones done, but the front ones, both of them, the bleed valve thing broke off. I had it soaking in WD40 for like half a hour and it still wouldn't budge, so I just tried they broke off.

How do I fix this? Do I need to buy new calipers or can I somehow get it out and put new ones in?

Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ZardozOct-20-08 07:14 AM
Member since Nov 12th 2007
21 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31527, "RE: Bleeding my brakes today and..."
In response to Reply # 0

If you have a set of "easy outs" (bolt extractors), then bleeders are fairly easy to do since they already have a hole down the middle of them. You may just need to drill them out a little larger for so the appropriate easy out can get a good grip.

A lot of times though, if the bleeders have not been touched in so long that they've rusted to the point of breaking then there's a good chance that the seals are getting old, the pistons are getting rusty (a potential sticking hazard), the sliders are worn or rusted, etc. So, check them well, they may need to be replaced anyway. And rebuilt ones are pretty cheap ($30-$45). Don't forget to inspect the hoses while you're there!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

adamztyOct-20-08 08:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#31528, "RE: Bleeding my brakes today and..."
In response to Reply # 1

ok by the look of the brake fluid, they have never been touched. Ok I will try the bolt extractors, but where would I get a new valve? local parts store have them?

Another thing I noticed when I was doing this is that when I rotate the rear roters, they seem to have some drag on them. they wont spin freely at all and it takes some amount of force to spin them. This is with the parking brake down... Is this normal??

daes_vengeOct-20-08 01:37 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#31529, "RE: Bleeding my brakes today and..."
In response to Reply # 2

Most auto part stores sell bleeder valves. The size you need is 7mm x 1.0 and they are 34mm in length.

ZardozOct-21-08 06:47 PM
Member since Nov 12th 2007
21 posts,
#31530, "RE: Bleeding my brakes today and..."
In response to Reply # 2

A lot of people don't know this, but your break fluid also needs to be changed every 60k-75k miles. It absorbs moisture and impurities, not to mention it simply breaks down.

As far as your rear breaks, if they are drum breaks, the adjusters may be engaging the shoes with the drum or the return springs may not be properly retracting the shoes (there can be a number of reasons for that, have to take the drums off and inspect for the answer there). At any rate, you'll need to take the drums off and inspect everything. If they are disc breaks, some friction is normal because the pads are always in slight contact with the rotors.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

adamztyOct-22-08 05:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#31531, "RE: Bleeding my brakes today and..."
In response to Reply # 4

they are disc brakes so they should be fine then. I dont think the brake fluid has ever been changed with 120k miles... It was very shitty.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31526 Previous topic | Next topic