Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31398
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End." Previous topic | Next topic
stillettoDSMJul-28-08 07:26 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2008
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31398, ""Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."

I'm hearing a Loud "Clunking" Noise from my Passenger Front End when going over Bumps. I'm thinking it's my Ball Joint from everything I've read on here so far, but I'm not getting any Squeaking or Grinding while Turning my Wheels at all. Could it just be Bad Shocks or something? The Car has 171k Miles on the Body, so I'm not exactly Shocked that there are Problems. Thanks in Advance Guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., RoninEclipse2G, Jul-28-08 07:29 AM, #1
RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., stillettoDSM, Jul-28-08 08:23 AM, #2
      RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., RoninEclipse2G, Jul-28-08 11:45 AM, #3
           RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., Moderatorteklein, Jul-29-08 03:11 AM, #4
                RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., stillettoDSM, Jul-30-08 07:36 AM, #5
                     RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., stillettoDSM, Aug-05-08 04:07 AM, #6
                          RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., daes_venge, Aug-05-08 08:58 PM, #7
                               RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., Talsition, Aug-26-08 11:50 AM, #8
                                    RE: , wicked_96_rs, Aug-27-10 11:22 PM, #9
                                         RE: , RoninEclipse2G, Aug-28-10 03:38 PM, #10
                                         RE: , megaskillz, Aug-28-10 07:18 PM, #11
RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., thakid22, Sep-19-10 10:12 AM, #12
RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., hoursetraitor, Jun-19-11 02:53 AM, #13
RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., hoursetraitor, Jun-19-11 02:57 AM, #14
      RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End., xiDsmmanix, Jul-23-11 09:13 PM, #15

RoninEclipse2GJul-28-08 07:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31399, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 0

check the joints and the control arm bushings, bad bushings will thunk really loudly but won't grind or squeak when you turn the wheel.

could be a dead strut too.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

stillettoDSMJul-28-08 08:23 AM
43 posts,
#31400, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 1

Ok, I know how to check the Ball Joints, there shouldn't be any Vertical Play, Correct? How would I go about checking the Control Arm Bushings?

RoninEclipse2GJul-28-08 11:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31401, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 2

get a pry bar and see if you can move them more than a MM or 2 if they shift considerably they're probably hitting.

to test the struts push down hard on that corner of the car and see if it doesn't come back up and just stay in place. if it seems even the slightest bit bouncy your strut is probably gone. look for signs of oil leaking from the strut piston seal

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

ModeratortekleinJul-29-08 03:11 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#31402, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 3

Also, something else for you to check is your rear transmission mount.

Mine did the same thing on bumps and I could never figure out what it is until it did it one day while letting the clutch out.

stillettoDSMJul-30-08 07:36 AM
43 posts,
#31403, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 4

That could be a very possible problem now that I think about it. When I had my Transmission Re-Built last year, they said they has only Replaced one of the Mounts because the other wasn't necessary, my Car used to jerk really badly upon acceleration and while stopping, and it sort of jerks now when I accelerate and then let off the gas quickly, so I'm definitely gonna' have to get that checked out.

stillettoDSMAug-05-08 04:07 AM
43 posts,
#31406, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by stillettoDSM
When I had my Transmission Re-Built last year, they said they has only Replaced one of the Mounts because the other wasn't necessary..

I came across the Invoice from when I had my Transmission Re-Built, and they had actually Replaced BOTH Transmission Mounts, so could it be my Passenger Side Engine Mount that's giving me this Problem? It's right above the Alternator right? Thanks.

daes_vengeAug-05-08 08:58 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#31407, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 6

Check you curved lower control arm. The bushing is probably bad on it.

TalsitionAug-26-08 11:50 AM
Member since Aug 08th 2004
39 posts,
#31418, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 7

The my curved control arm on my drivers side was making a loud clunk when I some times started or stopped at low speeds. Once I changed that all I had was the vibration from the passenger side one.

wicked_96_rsAug-27-10 11:22 PM
Member since Aug 29th 2009
4 posts,
#32950, "RE: "
In response to Reply # 8
Aug-27-10 11:24 PM by wicked_96_rs

Ok every one of these suggestions are the best you can get for what your talking about... now....

I had the same exact problem two weeks ago and wht you have to do is going to suck bt it worked for me.

The way i found out that my balljoint was messed up ws when i was replacing my tire and while tightening the lug nuts, thr rim pushed foward. I though t i had something wrong with my fork to my shocks/sruts in the front. So i took the tire off again and looked just to find all was good. I put the im back on and it did the same thing again. So i figured i would take it to the shop in town and i didnt even make it out my drivway. The lateral control arm separated form the ball joing and shoved mt passenger side tire backwards into my fender and ripping out my axel and breaking it. DON'T DRIVE THE CAR!!! If your going down the road over 40 mph, you will total your car by flipping it

sorry the pics are so big and it was my driver side but you get the point of whats going to happ;en if you keep driving it

RoninEclipse2GAug-28-10 03:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#32953, "RE: "
In response to Reply # 9

Classic lower balljoint failure there.

Erik P.

megaskillzAug-28-10 07:18 PM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#32954, "RE: "
In response to Reply # 9

Yep. The same happened to me except the self locking nut decided to break off the lateral arm which caused my axel to snap. I was not a pretty sight.

thakid22Sep-19-10 10:12 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
#33002, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 0

Clunking usually points to bad bushings/ball joints. Replacing the whole arm is easier. And not much more expensive.

hoursetraitorJun-19-11 02:53 AM
Member since Jun 18th 2011
26 posts,
#33313, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 12

Ok now I'm scared after seeing that. How can i tell if mine are bad? which one usually goes since there are 2 connecting to the knuckle.
my car sometimes squeeks when turning really slow and i hear weird noises when breaking sometimes. at 60 mph the car shakes at 65 its bad. i swear i hear a wheel bearing but it doesnt go bump bump its just noisey spining sound. After i saw that pic i realized i need to hurry up and solve my issues.

94 Z28
98 gs
93 FZR 600

hoursetraitorJun-19-11 02:57 AM
Member since Jun 18th 2011
26 posts,
#33314, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by thakid22
Clunking usually points to bad bushings/ball joints. Replacing the whole arm is easier. And not much more expensive.

is it even possible to replace the lower balljoints without a new arm?
In the carnage pics he must have ripped both lower ball joints out right?

94 Z28
98 gs
93 FZR 600

xiDsmmanixJul-23-11 09:13 PM
Member since May 10th 2010
39 posts,
#33362, "RE: "Clunking" Noise from Passenger Front End."
In response to Reply # 14

Usually when there is a clunk when going over bumps it's a stabilizer linkage. A way to check it is to put you hand on the fender near your tire and pull up and down. If the clunking happens then that's what it probably is.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31398 Previous topic | Next topic