Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31376
View in linear mode

Subject: "Caliper Bolts Stuck." Previous topic | Next topic
stillettoDSMJul-11-08 06:14 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2008
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31376, "Caliper Bolts Stuck."

I just ordered 4 New Solid Brembo Rotors (they actually sent me two extra by mistake, so I get to replace the rears too) and some EBC Ultimax Brake Pads (wanted Green Stuff, but they didn't have them).
The front Driver side was screaming, so I replace those pads immediately, and it's barely making any noise, only a bit.. I'm guessing because the Rotor is so badly damaged (I recieved the pads before the rotors.. so I've yet to replace them). The passenger side caliper bolts won't come loose for nothing.
Go out and buy an impact wrench? WD and some freeze stuff don't do the job.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., barza21, Jul-11-08 06:29 AM, #1
RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., Moderatorxcasbonx, Jul-11-08 07:43 AM, #2
      RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., RoninEclipse2G, Jul-11-08 09:00 AM, #3
           RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., dsmtuner1, Jul-11-08 12:22 PM, #4
RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., Tuxdreamerx, Jul-13-08 05:59 PM, #5
RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jul-15-08 02:49 AM, #6
      RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck., RoninEclipse2G, Jul-15-08 05:14 AM, #7

barza21Jul-11-08 06:29 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31377, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 0

a couple of times this has happened to me. What I do is spray the bolts with some w490, and let it sit, then grab a closed wrench, grab it steady against the bolt and hit the wrench with a hammer so that way you can loosen the bolt, but give it solid hit (really solid hits), and it should come off. Thats how I did them when it happened, hope it helps.

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-11-08 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#31378, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 1

If the hammer method doesn't work...Use a breaker bar, get some torque on that bolt and hope it doesn't snap on you. Letting it soak with some pb blast or wd40 for a couple hours and reapplying should help before going at it with the breaker bar.

I contributed to the Wiki.

RoninEclipse2GJul-11-08 09:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31379, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 2

Big effing breaker bar. I have a 4ft length of steel tubing that I use as a cheater bar usually works.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

dsmtuner1Jul-11-08 12:22 PM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
#31380, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-11-08 12:23 PM by dsmtuner1

pb blaster!!!!!!! + hammer on a 1/2 drive = magic.

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

TuxdreamerxJul-13-08 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31383, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by stillettoDSM
I just ordered 4 New Solid Brembo Rotors (they actually sent me two extra by mistake, so I get to replace the rears too) and some EBC Ultimax Brake Pads (wanted Green Stuff, but they didn't have them). The front Driver side was screaming, so I replace those pads immediately, and it's barely making any noise, only a bit.. I'm guessing because the Rotor is so badly damaged (I recieved the pads before the rotors.. so I've yet to replace them). The passenger side caliper bolts won't come loose for nothing. Go out and buy an impact wrench? WD and some freeze stuff don't do the job.

Electric impact = AMAZING. I paid about 60-70 bucks for electric impact and metric sockets and it has saved alot of time and headache. but before that I have used a leg off of my engine hoist and that works well. PB blaster is a great help too.

Just a side note, Unless my 97 GS is just different, I do believe the front and rear rotors are different. So unless they sent you 2 front and 2 rear you will just have a extra front set, which still isnt bad since it was a mistake.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-15-08 02:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#31384, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
So unless they sent you 2 front and 2 rear you will just have a extra front set, which still isnt bad since it was a mistake.

yeah, sell 'em if you've got extra. Those are great rotors.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GJul-15-08 05:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31386, "RE: Caliper Bolts Stuck."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx So unless they sent you 2 front and 2 rear you will just have a extra front set, which still isnt bad since it was a mistake.
yeah, sell 'em if you've got extra. Those are great rotors.

or keep em for spares down the road.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31376 Previous topic | Next topic