Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31351
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help diagnose my brake problem" Previous topic | Next topic
goalieman24Jun-16-08 12:10 PM
Member since Sep 13th 2003
174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31351, "Help diagnose my brake problem"

So I've had this squealing/screeching/annoying noise that comes at times... which I thought might of been bad brake pads. I replaced them(still had plenty of pad left however) about 2 weeks ago, and today the problem came back.
I can't figure out what "triggers" the noise, since it isn't constant, but it's definitely brake related. When it does happen, it will start after hitting the brakes. I don't think the pads are rubbing, because when I apply pressure, it gets louder. After I am off the brakes just coasting, the noise is quieter, usually until I turn the wheel a bit.
It sounds like metal on metal, but I'm not sure what could be rubbing.

Thanks for any help

BTW, rotors were turned when the pads got replaced.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RoninEclipse2GJun-16-08 02:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31352, "RE: Help diagnose my brake problem"
In response to Reply # 0

could be a bad wheel bearing. otherwise stop buying cheap semi-metallic pads?

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

foggy45Jun-16-08 03:31 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#31353, "RE: Help diagnose my brake problem"
In response to Reply # 1

i second the possibility of the bad wheel bearing, especially if it sounds like a warped rotor and your sure the rotors are true

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

dalesmitsuJun-17-08 04:02 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#31354, "RE: Help diagnose my brake problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by foggy45
i second the possibility of the bad wheel bearing, especially if it sounds like a warped rotor and your sure the rotors are true

You might as well replace your hubs both front/rear for a car thats 10 yrs should be wise. Check advance auto you pick up frt/rr hubs/bearings plus the the spindle locks all for under 300

dsmtuner1Jun-30-08 11:43 AM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
#31367, "RE: Help diagnose my brake problem"
In response to Reply # 3

before you replace your hubs you could always check the free stuff first. 1. lube both sides of the brake pad shims. 2 make sure you dont have a pebble stuck in the dust shield behind the rotor.

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

505racerJul-02-08 02:24 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2007
62 posts,
#31375, "RE: Help diagnose my brake problem"
In response to Reply # 4

I would most definatly say its the wheel bearing
i just replaced mine this last weekend
and it made the same noise
got my new hub assemblies for about $50 each corner at checker auto parts

Cruz

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31351 Previous topic | Next topic