Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31343
View in linear mode

Subject: "Frozen e-brake?" Previous topic | Next topic
talonoobJun-08-08 03:52 PM
Member since Jun 08th 2008
1 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31343, "Frozen e-brake?"

I just picked up a 95 Talon ESI, and to my surprise it has rear disc brakes. I really didn't know that this model came with disc brakes in the rear. Anyways, i have a problem, the rear wheels are stuck. I took the wheel off on one side and took a sledge hammer to the brakes in hope of freeing it up. Don't worry, i know where to hit but no amount of tapping would free it up. I took the caliper off verifying that the pads weren't rusted to the rotor and the caliper was not seized. I had enough of working in the 100 degree heat so i quit before pulling the rotor off. Is it safe to assume that the e-brake pads are seized or something? When i pulled the e-brake handle up it felt like nothing was there. Could it be something more serious? Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-09-08 02:22 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31344, "RE: Frozen e-brake?"
In response to Reply # 0

cable is probsbly frozen which is normal when a car sits. Unbolt the cable and start flexing it to try and free it up. If your able to get it to free up then remove it completely and stand it up on end by tiing it to the ceiling of the garage and spray penetrating oil in the one end and let it soak all the way through.

Another method is to cut a tiny hole in a plastic bag and insert the end of the cable into the hole. Now wrap the bag tightly with tape to the cable so the bag acts as a funnel. Now pour a small amount of light oil into the bag and let it seep throught the cable overnight. Make sure you place a bucket underneitht the opposite cable end.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31343 Previous topic | Next topic