Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31282
View in linear mode

Subject: "remove rear control arms!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
shybuckApr-19-08 01:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31282, "remove rear control arms!!!!"

Anyone have a great way/idea how to remove the bolts that are frozen inside the bushing on the lower control arms. They been soaking in pr all day with no luck the whole arm with bolt spins in the sub frame. The bolt will not move.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, foggy45, Apr-19-08 05:25 PM, #1
RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, shybuck, Apr-19-08 07:22 PM, #2
      RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, Murfsmaster, Apr-25-08 10:56 AM, #3
           RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, ligerzero, Apr-28-08 01:26 AM, #4
                RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, 1996BlackGSnt, Aug-27-08 07:58 PM, #5
                     RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Aug-28-08 05:08 AM, #6
                          RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, 1996BlackGSnt, Aug-28-08 06:23 AM, #7
                               RE: remove rear control arms!!!!, RoninEclipse2G, Aug-29-08 11:20 AM, #8

foggy45Apr-19-08 05:25 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31283, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

cut it off on either side of the bushing and then drill the bolt out

or cut it out, scrap the bushing and reinstall with ENergy Suspension or Prothane bushings.

or cut out the whole arm and replace with an upgraded spherical bearing arm

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

shybuckApr-19-08 07:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#31284, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

wear can u get replacment bushings?

MurfsmasterApr-25-08 10:56 AM
Member since Mar 22nd 2005
175 posts,
#31286, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

I just did this yesterday. You have to buy a whole new control arm from the dealer. The good thing is the whole setup with new control arm, bolt, and washer is only like $45 from the dealer. You need to cut the bolt off with a sawzall. First remove the nut from the opposite end and then cut through the bushing as close to the frame as possible and then pound out the control arm and if the bolt didn't fall off, turn it with a wrench and it should fall off. There is a write-up on tunerz if you wanna find it.

ligerzeroApr-28-08 01:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
12 posts,
#31291, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

I had the same thing happen with my front control arm I had to use a cutting tool to get it out, even after getting it out.. holy damn, it was corroded in there. The sad part is that one was "NEW" good ol' Maine winters..

I'm going to have two parts shells, I might be able to pull a rear if you need one...

Good luck!

1996BlackGSntAug-27-08 07:58 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2008
35 posts,
#31422, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by ligerzero
I had the same thing happen with my front control arm I had to use a cutting tool to get it out, even after getting it out.. holy damn, it was corroded in there. The sad part is that one was "NEW" good ol' Maine winters.. I'm going to have two parts shells, I might be able to pull a rear if you need one... Good luck!

lol i need a new front left fender because my ball joint bolts broke. So i had to order new lower control arms

RoninEclipse2GAug-28-08 05:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31423, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 1996BlackGSnt
lol i need a new front left fender because my ball joint bolts broke. So i had to order new lower control arms

that's not your car in the "motivator" pic that I've seen floating around is it?

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

1996BlackGSntAug-28-08 06:23 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2008
35 posts,
#31424, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by 1996BlackGSnt lol i need a new front left fender because my ball joint bolts broke. So i had to order new lower control arms
that's not your car in the "motivator" pic that I've seen floating around is it?

What are you talkin about thats my car in my sig but it doesn't look like that right now the whole front end is of and preped for paint. and im waiting to build a 420a. and trans swap

RoninEclipse2GAug-29-08 11:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31425, "RE: remove rear control arms!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

I saw a "motivational poster" with a black 2g. the drivers front wheel and hub was hanging out.

The caption was:
DSM BALLJOINTS
it's just a recall

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31282 Previous topic | Next topic