Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31262
View in linear mode

Subject: "Looking for good brake setup for under $300" Previous topic | Next topic
2gObsessionApr-12-08 06:25 AM
Member since Apr 12th 2008
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31262, "Looking for good brake setup for under $300"

Ok, so i own a 99 eclipse GS with gsx 2 piston front brake calipers and im lookin for a decent set of front and rear drilled slotted rotors with good pads to go with them.

I have yet to install the gsx calipers but i have the hardware and stuff to install them. I really want to notice a difference after there installed so any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

now I have found some random kits around on line ebay being one of them. i was lookin for opinions or ideas for a good set up. remember i would like to stay around $300 shipped Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, 2gObsession, Apr-12-08 06:26 AM, #1
RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, goalie40, Apr-12-08 10:05 AM, #2
      RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, foggy45, Apr-12-08 05:43 PM, #3
           RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, goalie40, Apr-12-08 08:49 PM, #4
                RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, foggy45, Apr-13-08 02:24 AM, #5
                RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, 2gObsession, Apr-13-08 06:06 AM, #6
                     RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, 2gObsession, Apr-13-08 06:12 AM, #7
                          RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-13-08 02:41 PM, #8
                               RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, barza21, Apr-13-08 05:31 PM, #9
                                    RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, Slo2g, Apr-13-08 06:27 PM, #10
                                         RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300, foggy45, Apr-14-08 06:15 AM, #11

2gObsessionApr-12-08 06:26 AM
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31263, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Eclipse-GSX-4WD-Drill-Slot-Brake-Rotor-PADS-95-99-F-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ021QQitemZ310039699034QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

is this setup any good?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

goalie40Apr-12-08 10:05 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31264, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 1

see my sig $150 to my door ebay brembo blanks drilled slotted by a 3rd party. (sportbrakes) only have 10 miles or so on them so far, but they look good. Then order a set of RRE ss lines 125 to the door. Last but not least. Get some good pads 50-70ish. Then enjoy the walk up to your car and say DAMN DEM SOME BIG ASS BRAKES. I do everytime

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

foggy45Apr-12-08 05:43 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#31265, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by goalie40
ebay brembo blanks drilled slotted by a 3rd party. (sportbrakes)

3rd party ebay rotors make me shudder man
i cracked 2 sets of them before i called brembo and talked to them about it and thats when they told me that they were done by a 3rd party. (slotting / drilling by places like RRE are safer though)
now i run authentic sloted brembo sport rotors and not a single problem.

to each their own, but I feel that one of the few places to not skimp out on are my brakes.

current setup: close to $500 depending on where you get parts form
92 3KGT SL calipers w/ speedbleeders (rebuilt, honed, and polished)
Brembo Sport slotted rotors
RRE stainless lines
EBC Green-Stuff pads
Motul RBF 600 fluid

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

goalie40Apr-12-08 08:49 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31266, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 3

I agree with you. I was poor when I got them. The quality is very nice I was impressed. when these crap out. I want to switch to the powerslot big rotor kit. For someone on budget these would work. I wanted brake bling but there is nothing wrong with OEM. They are still big behind the rim and looks sweet.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

foggy45Apr-13-08 02:24 AM
1032 posts,
#31267, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 4

speaking of OEM, www.machv.com is having a sale on the OEM GSX rotors. iirc its like $90 for the pair.

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

2gObsessionApr-13-08 06:06 AM
6 posts,
#31268, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 4

If i were to go with these rotors, what pads would be a good match and give me great performance without the excessive brake dust or eating away at the rotors too quickly ?

http://www.machv.com/ovoemmiro.html

2gObsessionApr-13-08 06:12 AM
6 posts,
#31269, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 6

what about these? anyone have any of these? like them? also im a daily driver. no track time just lookin for better than oem. is drilled only really better than drilled and slotted for daily driving?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake-Rotors-95-96-97-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Talon-AWD-F-R_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ017QQitemZ270227107823QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnum-Drilled-Rotors-Eclipse-Talon-TSI-AWD-GS-GSX-F-R_W0QQitemZ350046656932QQihZ022QQcategoryZ88433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

RoninEclipse2GApr-13-08 02:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31270, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 7

Don't do Ebay brake rotors. they're cheap for a reason. drilled rotors look cool but BANME! they aren't worth it, they run too much risk of cracking which if they crack bad enough they can shatter which causes major damage. slotted rotors are worth the money if you get good qualiy ones and you don't mind your pads wearing a little faster

for good performance without a huge wallet hit get some GSX fronts and spend some money on high quality pads. SS lines are a major improvement too, probably the best money I've ever spent on a brake system for a car.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

barza21Apr-13-08 05:31 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
#31271, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 8

i agree with everybody above me, dont buy ebay rotors.

from personal experience i would recomend the rotors from SP performance, i have them and asked around before i bought them, and they are good, it has been almost a year since the upgrade and there is no signal of a crack or anything. http://www.sp-performance.com/

i would recomend them to anybody.

p.s. : dont get the nicle plated ones if it rains to much around your area, over here mine are rusting up a bit, but i clean them with an iron tooth brush.... lol

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Slo2gApr-13-08 06:27 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#31272, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 9
Apr-13-08 06:28 PM by Slo2g

I am running a Hawk Ferro Carbon front pad and I love them. +1 on the ebay rotors, and Brembo doesn't drill and slot their rotors. IF they are a Brembo rotor they are slotted that have been drilled by a third party. I bought some drilled brembos to go with the above pad on the front and although they are not bigger the braking is a lot better than stock. Might I also recomend the early 95 (made in 94) gsx rear rotor setup. They are vented vs solid, I have done the upgrade and love it, those things are Huge too to be a factory rotor!

foggy45Apr-14-08 06:15 AM
1032 posts,
#31273, "RE: Looking for good brake setup for under $300"
In response to Reply # 10
Apr-14-08 06:16 AM by foggy45

Originally posted by Slo2g
and Brembo doesn't drill and slot their rotors. IF they are a Brembo rotor they are slotted that have been drilled by a third party.

Correct! this is the biggest mistake most people make with the ebay rotors. and doing that can SERRIOUSLY weaken the rotor if done wrong. and most just use the flat blanks instead of paying for the slotted ones

AUTHENTIC brembos come in slotted OR drilled but not both.
there are stamped numbers on the side of the rotor that you can cross check with Brembo factory.

http://www.brembo.com/ENG/HighPerformance-Brakes/SportBrakes/
Brembo SezThe brake discs are built in high carbon cast iron and they are available either drilled or slotted. The brake discs are then plated for corrosion resistance and for a bold, aggressive appearance.

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31262 Previous topic | Next topic