Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31106
View in linear mode

Subject: "96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon" Previous topic | Next topic
bahhahaFeb-20-08 05:01 AM
Member since Jan 20th 2006
58 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31106, "96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
Feb-20-08 11:23 AM by bahhaha

I've been running autocross now for a couple years and at the end of last year I decided to take my car to the local drag strip. My best time was 13.8, but my 60' was like almost 3 seconds. Obviously I'm not very good at the launch yet, but I think a lot of it was my tires (Nitto NT-01's). So a buddy of mine has a 96 cobra and he uses 275/40/17 Nitto drag radials and his 60' times are like 1.8. Turns out that his wheels have the same bolt pattern. So I borrowed them bolted them on and they fit great. So if you guys want a big ass tire for drag racing, see if you can find some old cobra stock rims, they're 17x8, and you can put a 275/40/17 Nitto on them. I'll post some pics soon.

Also, a few notes:
1. I have Tein type flex suspension, but it's lower than stock, so they should also fit a stock suspension.
2. I had to use a 17" wheel because I have a big brake kit.
3. The center hole on the cobra wheel is a little bigger, but the taper in the lugs still centers the rim.
4. I've heard that the Nitto's run small, so that may be why they will fit on an 8" rim. The MFR recommends a 9.

Like my mud flapps?

About 1/2" gap, time to raise the front end

Center hole is slightly larger

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-20-08 05:34 AM, #1
RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-20-08 11:31 AM, #2
      RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, djtrickee, Feb-20-08 11:43 AM, #3
           RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, bahhaha, Feb-20-08 12:29 PM, #4
                RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-20-08 12:43 PM, #5
                     RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, bahhaha, Feb-20-08 12:48 PM, #6
                          RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-20-08 04:47 PM, #7
                               RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, goalie40, Feb-22-08 11:01 AM, #8
                                    RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, bahhaha, Feb-23-08 05:49 AM, #9
                                         RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-25-08 05:44 PM, #10
                                              RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, RoninEclipse2G, Feb-28-08 04:29 PM, #11
                                                   RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, goalie40, Mar-01-08 11:07 AM, #12
                                                   RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-03-08 10:16 AM, #14
                                                   RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon, bahhaha, Mar-03-08 06:26 AM, #13

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-20-08 05:34 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31107, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 0

interesting yet disturbing at the same time. I should slap you for putting ford rims on your eclipse!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-20-08 11:31 AM
8331 posts,
#31108, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 1

Wait a minute....275 on an 8" rim? I want to see a picture of the actual tire size on the tire. I dont believe you. I had 255's on my 8" z28 rim and the tire tread had started to roll a tiny bit on the edge. My mopar has 295's and I dont see how a 275 would fit our car.

djtrickeeFeb-20-08 11:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#31109, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Wait a minute....275 on an 8" rim? I want to see a picture of the actual tire size on the tire.

Check out the 2nd picture, you can see the tire size listed on the side of the tire.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

bahhahaFeb-20-08 12:29 PM
58 posts,
#31110, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-20-08 12:32 PM by bahhaha

yea, I found it hard to beleive at first, I think the nitto's run small.

Thats also why I thought this was a big enough deal to go ahead and post it.

I actually wanna run the Mickey Thompson drag radials but i'm scared that they wont fit on the rim. Both Nitto and MT recommended that the minimum wheel width for 275/40's is 9". Key word "recommended"

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-20-08 12:43 PM
8331 posts,
#31111, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 4

Yeah i will have to look on another computer.....this one is too dark. MT wont fit. the purpose of a biased ply slick is to have a larger sidewall than a 40 series so the sidewall can flex and give. You would need ot go down to a 14 or 15" rim for a true biasply slick.

Terry

bahhahaFeb-20-08 12:48 PM
58 posts,
#31112, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 5

the one I wanted was the ET street radial

is that the one you're talking about?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-20-08 04:47 PM
8331 posts,
#31113, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 6

No, that is a street radial not a true slick. Actual drag slicks are bias ply tires and require you to drill your rims to hold the bead securely. Bias ply tires in the past were actually mounted on half sizes. For example a 16" rim was actually a 16.5 bead. Radial tires are mounted on an actual 16" rim. Thats why you cannot swap the two.

Terry

goalie40Feb-22-08 11:01 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31117, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 7

(1. I have Tein type flex suspension, but it's lower than stock, so they should also fit a stock suspension.)

I just put on my tein flexs. Twice around the block and its like driving a go cart, so nice mine are not even tuned yet. Ride height is close to where I want it but a little too low. shes getting there

Any advice with them Im going with the edfc in a few months

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

bahhahaFeb-23-08 05:49 AM
58 posts,
#31118, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 8

You'll need camber kits all the way around and I had a big problem with the factory rear toe adjustment. I ended up having these made.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=28573

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-25-08 05:44 PM
8331 posts,
#31122, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 9

Another member put those together without a machine shop about 3 years ago. All you need to do is buy the correct heim joints.

RoninEclipse2GFeb-28-08 04:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31128, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 10

275's is really hard to believe, I've got 17x8 evo 8 enkei's on mine and 235/45 is big enough to screw with the speedometer

yes I know it needs to be lowered.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

goalie40Mar-01-08 11:07 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31130, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
275's is really hard to believe, I've got 17x8 evo 8 enkei's on mine and 235/45 is big enough to screw with the speedometer yes I know it needs to be lowered.

You also need to but that bumper back on

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

RoninEclipse2GMar-03-08 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31134, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 12
Mar-03-08 10:16 AM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by goalie40
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G 275's is really hard to believe, I've got 17x8 evo 8 enkei's on mine and 235/45 is big enough to screw with the speedometer yes I know it needs to be lowered.
You also need to but that bumper back on

actually I need to put the other head on, who gives a shit about the bumper when it doesn't run

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

bahhahaMar-03-08 06:26 AM
58 posts,
#31131, "RE: 96 cobra wheels w/ 275's on the Talon"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
275's is really hard to believe, I've got 17x8 evo 8 enkei's on mine and 235/45 is big enough to screw with the speedometer

I don't really care about the spedo since I'm only using these at the track.

Here's a link to a thread over at mustangforums.com, a few guys over there have already put 275 Nitto NT555R's and MT ET Street Radial's on their stock 17x8 rims.

http://mustangforums.com/m_4556361/tm.htm

I know the MFR recommends that a 275/40 be used on a 9" rim, but if we always did what the MFR wanted then nobody here would have a 300+ HP 420a, right?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31106 Previous topic | Next topic