Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31050
View in linear mode

Subject: "Strut tower replacement" Previous topic | Next topic
TuxdreamerxJan-30-08 01:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31050, "Strut tower replacement"

I know this has been talked about on here before but they are very old posts and I am now doing the work.
I need to replace my strut towers on my 95 Talon ESI they have holes in them. I talked to my uncle he works at a chrysler dealership and they no longer sell the strut tower replacements does anyone know where I could get ahold of a set? Also does anyone know if they have to be out of my exact car if I was to cut some out of a car? What models have the same strut towers?

Anyway thanks in advance

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Strut tower replacement, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jan-31-08 03:20 AM, #1
RE: Strut tower replacement, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-31-08 05:28 AM, #2
      RE: Strut tower replacement, Tuxdreamerx, Jan-31-08 06:35 PM, #3
           RE: Strut tower replacement, daes_venge, Jan-31-08 07:08 PM, #4
                RE: Strut tower replacement, Tuxdreamerx, Jan-31-08 07:12 PM, #5
                     RE: Strut tower replacement, daes_venge, Feb-01-08 06:49 PM, #6
                     RE: Strut tower replacement, Tuxdreamerx, Feb-02-08 09:51 AM, #7
                          RE: Strut tower replacement, Hedge, Feb-02-08 03:36 PM, #8
                               RE: Strut tower replacement, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-03-08 09:03 AM, #9
                                    RE: Strut tower replacement, 2GeclipseRS, Feb-04-08 09:05 AM, #10
                     RE: Strut tower replacement, dalesmitsu, Feb-07-08 08:13 AM, #11
                          RE: Strut tower replacement, mike_d, Feb-09-08 05:14 AM, #12
                               RE: Strut tower replacement, Tuxdreamerx, Feb-12-08 07:36 AM, #13
                                    RE: Strut tower replacement, 2GeclipseRS, Feb-14-08 08:18 AM, #14
                                         RE: Strut tower replacement, hazardeclipse, Feb-21-08 07:56 AM, #15
                                         RE: Strut tower replacement, Tuxdreamerx, Feb-25-08 06:24 PM, #17
                                         RE: Strut tower replacement, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-21-08 09:46 AM, #16
                                              RE: Strut tower replacement, 2GeclipseRS, Feb-26-08 12:38 PM, #18
                                                   RE: Strut tower replacement, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-03-08 10:51 AM, #19
                                                        RE: Strut tower replacement, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-03-08 05:13 PM, #20
                                                             RE: Strut tower replacement, ez, Mar-05-08 07:29 PM, #21
                                                                  RE: Strut tower replacement, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-06-08 05:21 AM, #22
                                                                       RE: Strut tower replacement, Flintcustoms, Mar-13-08 05:45 AM, #23
                                                                            RE: Strut tower replacement, Tuxdreamerx, Mar-18-08 05:06 AM, #24

ModeratorxcasbonxJan-31-08 03:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31051, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-31-08 03:21 AM by xcasbonx

http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main33/main33sub110.html

If I'm following what you're explaining you need PNC 40418. That is part number MR103156. Should be able to find one from a donor car, junkyard, or go to the dealer and buy brand new.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-31-08 05:28 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#31052, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 1

no, he is looking for the metal that rusts out. you know like Haz's towers are rotting away. if they are no longer sold, you may have to fabricate replacement patch panels. Many cars in the junkyards are going to be shot as well.

Terry

TuxdreamerxJan-31-08 06:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31053, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-31-08 06:50 PM by Tuxdreamerx

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
no, he is looking for the metal that rusts out. you know like Haz's towers are rotting away. if they are no longer sold, you may have to fabricate replacement patch panels. Many cars in the junkyards are going to be shot as well. Terry

Yes that is correct. I have talked to a body guy, he said he will probably charge me $200 labor plus parts to do the work now that was just for the drivers side strut tower but im guessing like $300-$400 for labor on both. He is a friend of my dads so he wont kill me on labor. Also he gets his parts out of an Arizona junkyard usally, and of coarse there is no rust out there (At least minimal). So hopefully all will go well.I wanna know how bad you guys think it is compared to other cars you've seen.

Gotta throw in a pic of this cooked engine lol

So as you guys can tell the strut towers must be replaced and that engine is junk so im gonna have fun lol.

daes_vengeJan-31-08 07:08 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#31054, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 3

Is the car really worth saving?

Anyway, strut towers off of a 95-00 Dodge Avenger and 95-00 Chrysler Sebring coupe are the exact same as the 95-99 Eclipse/Talon.

TuxdreamerxJan-31-08 07:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31055, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by daes_venge
Is the car really worth saving? Anyway, strut towers off of a 95-00 Dodge Avenger and 95-00 Chrysler Sebring coupe are the exact same as the 95-99 Eclipse/Talon.

See im wondering if its worth saving also, it will all depend on what my body guy says when he comes over to give me an exact estimate. I can pick up a engine locally for $300-$500 bucks so we will see... I really like the car but I dont wanna sink TOO much money into it.

Thanks for the info on the strut towers, im not trying to say what your saying isnt true or anything like that but is that 100% sure thing I want to make sure before I tell my body guy i'd hate to get some and they dont work.

anyways keep the input coming

daes_vengeFeb-01-08 06:49 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#31061, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Thanks for the info on the strut towers, im not trying to say what your saying isnt true or anything like that but is that 100% sure thing I want to make sure before I tell my body guy i'd hate to get some and they dont work. anyways keep the input coming

I am 100% sure. Even Avenger/Sebring with the V-6 has the exact same towers. But if you happen to get these from an Eclipse/Talon, make sure you get them from a non-turbo car. The Turbo car towers are different.

TuxdreamerxFeb-02-08 09:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31068, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by daes_venge
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx Thanks for the info on the strut towers, im not trying to say what your saying isnt true or anything like that but is that 100% sure thing I want to make sure before I tell my body guy i'd hate to get some and they dont work. anyways keep the input coming
I am 100% sure. Even Avenger/Sebring with the V-6 has the exact same towers. But if you happen to get these from an Eclipse/Talon, make sure you get them from a non-turbo car. The Turbo car towers are different.

Cool I saw mopar still had the TSI Towers but they looked different. But with the avenger sebring info it should make it easier to find them.

HedgeFeb-02-08 03:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
182 posts,
#31069, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 7

If your good with a welder, you could fab something up for that pretty easily. Out of the three talons ive had, two had rusted through in the same spot. The one i have now is still flawless thanks to rustproofing haha.

Thank you mobil one for rust proofing my driveway.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-03-08 09:03 AM
8331 posts,
#31072, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 8

Those are beyond patch panels...wow they are the worst i have seen. This is going ot be a very tricky repair.....if its not right your alignment will be screwwed.

You may be better off finding a set from a junkyard in the south someplace that arent as bad as yours.

2GeclipseRSFeb-04-08 09:05 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#31075, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 9

Those are terrible.

You're going to sink so much money into it or get rid of it asap. Watch.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

dalesmitsuFeb-07-08 08:13 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#31080, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-07-08 08:15 AM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
Originally posted by daes_venge Is the car really worth saving? Anyway, strut towers off of a 95-00 Dodge Avenger and 95-00 Chrysler Sebring coupe are the exact same as the 95-99 Eclipse/Talon.
See im wondering if its worth saving also, it will all depend on what my body guy says when he comes over to give me an exact estimate. I can pick up a engine locally for $300-$500 bucks so we will see... I really like the car but I dont wanna sink TOO much money into it. Thanks for the info on the strut towers, im not trying to say what your saying isnt true or anything like that but is that 100% sure thing I want to make sure before I tell my body guy i'd hate to get some and they dont work. anyways keep the input coming

Man, becarful when you take the fenders off I bet it will crumple.

I would try and find a Front-Clip from a junyard you might find one for around 500. Also, I would start an engine rebuild

mike_dFeb-09-08 05:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
718 posts,
#31084, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 11

That thing has parts car written all over it. I live in Canada and I've never seen towers that bad.

95 Talon ESi-T

TuxdreamerxFeb-12-08 07:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31095, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by mike_d
That thing has parts car written all over it. I live in Canada and I've never seen towers that bad.

Well the towers are actually going to be a cheap fix. I was very worried but my body guy is a friend of my dads and hes gonna do the work very cheap ill probably get all of it done for under $500. Then that leaves the engine and ball joints lol.

2GeclipseRSFeb-14-08 08:18 AM
781 posts,
#31100, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 13

Ball joints indeed.

You're entire suspension probably needs a full workover. I have a little over 120,000 miles on my factory shocks. The rear dampers would not extend after we compressed the damper rod with them off the car. All spring. Alot of my ball joints are rotting away and need replacement VERY soon. Stupid rubber rot.....

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

hazardeclipseFeb-21-08 07:56 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
640 posts,
#31114, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
no, he is looking for the metal that rusts out. you know like Haz's towers are rotting away. if they are no longer sold, you may have to fabricate replacement patch panels. Many cars in the junkyards are going to be shot as well. Terry

lmao. figured the rust bucket would be brought up in this thread... Wow, man... those are bad. mine arent even that bad, youve got rust into your upper control arms and that shit. who ever said parts car hit it on the head... but if youre this motivated then go for it. you'll prolly have to weld the towers to the inner fenderwell and the motor will prolly have to come out. and if you get it done do 2 things. take PLENTY of pics (for future reference for me later ) and for the love of GOD paint/undercoat/rhinoline the bottom sides of those towers, cause if not, it will happen again. WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS ONLY HAPPEN TO WHITE CARS?!?!?!?! good luck man, keep us in the loop

RIP- Rustbucket 1995-2009

‹hazardeclipse› by the way youre thinking of hazard_eclipse
‹hazardeclipse› thats not my fucking car
‹teklein› Oh yeah
‹hazardeclipse› he stole my name
‹hazardeclipse› fuck that radioactive yellow shit
‹teklein› Hazard_eclipse is the homo.

TuxdreamerxFeb-25-08 06:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31123, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by hazardeclipse
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon no, he is looking for the metal that rusts out. you know like Haz's towers are rotting away. if they are no longer sold, you may have to fabricate replacement patch panels. Many cars in the junkyards are going to be shot as well. Terry
lmao. figured the rust bucket would be brought up in this thread... Wow, man... those are bad. mine arent even that bad, youve got rust into your upper control arms and that shit. who ever said parts car hit it on the head... but if youre this motivated then go for it. you'll prolly have to weld the towers to the inner fenderwell and the motor will prolly have to come out. and if you get it done do 2 things. take PLENTY of pics (for future reference for me later ) and for the love of GOD paint/undercoat/rhinoline the bottom sides of those towers, cause if not, it will happen again. WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS ONLY HAPPEN TO WHITE CARS?!?!?!?! good luck man, keep us in the loop

Well luckily the engine is already out lol I pulled that a week ago. And im defentily having a professional do the work to the towers hes good. Undercoating will be a must. He is just going to cut out my towers as far back as needed and hes gonna weld new ones in. I Have tons of pics I need to upload. I will be taking more once the shock towers are replaced ill take very detailed ones I dont know if I can take any while the work is in progress I may be able to stop at his shop and snap a few ill try. I will also let you guys know how he does the work so incase anyone gets frisky they have an idea.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-21-08 09:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#31116, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I have a little over 120,000 miles on my factory shocks. The rear dampers would not extend after we compressed the damper rod with them off the car.

Even brand new ones do that.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

2GeclipseRSFeb-26-08 12:38 PM
781 posts,
#31124, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 16

Comforting.

Our cars are cursed from the factory!!!!

People are so scared to ride in my car. It has nothing to do with my driving habbits or it being fast. They're so worried it's going to keel over mid-trip.

RoninEclipse2GMar-03-08 10:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#31136, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
Comforting. Our cars are cursed from the factory!!!!

Meh, do a google search for "Porsche 914 hellhole" that's a car that was cursed from the factory. almost doesn't matter what area the car was in, most of them have that particular rust problem.

eclipse's have it easy, it's mostly salty environment cars that rust and just in that one spot.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-03-08 05:13 PM
8331 posts,
#31137, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 19

Chrysler parts direct still sells these parts so i have no idea how you claim they are not available anymore.

ezMar-05-08 07:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#31142, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 20

Wow, I thought I was looking at some pictures from an old Russian village.

You know, whole 2g shells go for like $500 sometimes. Putting $400 into repairing the towers seems a little nutty. I totally support repairing and restoring 2g's, but some need to just be put out of their misery.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-06-08 05:21 AM
8331 posts,
#31145, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 21

Its too bad, all the ones i cut up and parted out had perfect towers. Had i have known then what I know now........

FlintcustomsMar-13-08 05:45 AM
Member since Mar 13th 2008
2 posts,
#31172, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 22

Looks like ima go through this same situation with my towers. I was thinking about fabricating some sort of brace with tubular steal pieces to reinforce them. Anything I can do without taking the engine out is my goal.

Ill get some pics of mine in a min.

TuxdreamerxMar-18-08 05:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#31195, "RE: Strut tower replacement"
In response to Reply # 23

Well Here is the news guys my body guy has looked at my car and given me a qoute he said he can do the work with the engine in place and the car running. He is going to charge me $200 for the work and I can get a good tower for $65. the passenger side he said isnt rusted through all the way so he can patch it. the driver side is the only side that needs a replacement. so I guess I got lucky. I am in the process of rebuilding my engine and once I get the thing put back together and get it running im going to have the strut towers worked on.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31050 Previous topic | Next topic