Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30994
View in linear mode

Subject: "cars shaking a lot" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Jan-15-08 06:20 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30994, "cars shaking a lot"

my car over the past couple days has started shaking more and more when i'm on the freeway. at first it was barely noticeable but now i don't like driving much above 50 because the shaking gets pretty bad. i've checked for the obvious flat/bubbled tire or wheel not bolted down securely but everything looks pretty normal. i'll try jacking it up and checking each wheel when i go to my parents house tonite. anything in particular i should be looking for?

the shaking increases with speed and is not related to rpm or anything. car still drives straight and doesn't drift. at lower speeds the shaking feels like the car's being pulled side to side slightly.

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: cars shaking a lot, ez, Jan-15-08 07:11 PM, #1
RE: cars shaking a lot, MCubed45, Jan-15-08 07:15 PM, #2
      RE: cars shaking a lot, mcgyvr, Jan-16-08 02:43 AM, #3
           RE: cars shaking a lot, DirtMegirt, Jan-16-08 03:30 PM, #4
                RE: cars shaking a lot, ez, Jan-17-08 12:07 PM, #5
                     RE: cars shaking a lot, MCubed45, Jan-17-08 06:29 PM, #6
                          RE: cars shaking a lot, dalesmitsu, Jan-26-08 01:57 AM, #7
                               RE: cars shaking a lot, MCubed45, Feb-02-08 07:22 AM, #8
                                    RE: cars shaking a lot, freelancefool, Feb-02-08 05:40 PM, #9

ezJan-15-08 07:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30996, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe one of the wheel weights that are used to balance them finally came unglued and fell off.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Jan-15-08 07:15 PM
2706 posts,
#30997, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 1

thanks i'll check for that too

-marc

mcgyvrJan-16-08 02:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#30998, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 2

Do you have aftermarket rims?
If so, do you have the proper hubcentric rings for it?

Also have you checked your alignment lately?

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

DirtMegirtJan-16-08 03:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#31001, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 3

Another thing to check for is the condition of your hub assembly. When my fronts went, I would get vibration while driving straight. If I turned the wheel, the vibration went away. If you jack the front end up and check the wheels for play between 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, that should be a sign.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

ezJan-17-08 12:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#31002, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 4

Also could be a steering link. Put the front on jacks and check if you have play between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. The one on my drivers side had play, and caused similar symptoms to what you are experiencing. Also causes increased wear on that tire.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

MCubed45Jan-17-08 06:29 PM
2706 posts,
#31003, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 5
Jan-17-08 06:33 PM by MCubed45

ok so i forgot to mention that i've had my stocker 14" on my rear pass for a couple months after i had a flat. idk why the tire on my 17" went flat but i decide to fill it up and try put it back on while i was checking the car and now everything's fine. (and yea i have the hubcentric rings)

however while checking the wheels i found that i do have a couple degrees of play in the front driver's side. 9 and 3. it looks like the tie rod moves with it so i'm guessing there's a problem with the R&P? the boots on my R&P have been torn up for quite awhile now...

-marc

dalesmitsuJan-26-08 01:57 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#31032, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by MCubed45
ok so i forgot to mention that i've had my stocker 14" on my rear pass for a couple months after i had a flat. idk why the tire on my 17" went flat but i decide to fill it up and try put it back on while i was checking the car and now everything's fine. (and yea i have the hubcentric rings) however while checking the wheels i found that i do have a couple degrees of play in the front driver's side. 9 and 3. it looks like the tie rod moves with it so i'm guessing there's a problem with the R&P? the boots on my R&P have been torn up for quite awhile now...

A good place for those parts at decent price that won't break a DSMer budget is Advance Auto parts. You could get the R&P and tie rods on each for under 250.

You might wanna also check your sway bar too. the bushings could be worn out.

If you're like me on a Budget have to buy one two parts at time and then pay a shop a small labor fee to have them install at same time.
This would be you're best route, instead of blowing hole in your wallet.

L8tr

MCubed45Feb-02-08 07:22 AM
2706 posts,
#31067, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 7

what exactly do i most likely have to replace?

-marc

freelancefoolFeb-02-08 05:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31070, "RE: cars shaking a lot"
In response to Reply # 8

Don't take the R&P out. That would be waaaay overkill right now. Think about it. If the ball and cup on the inner tie rod is worn out, you will have play in the same area as the rack. You are talking about $112 for Moog brand inner tie rods.

That should get rid of the play in the 9 & 3. You can go with another brand if you prefer. While you are down there, check the outer tie rods as well. If you need help diagnosing things, let me know and I will be glad to get pictures/CAPS information and make something for you. Let's just rule the rack out first.

My Blog

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30994 Previous topic | Next topic