Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30805
View in linear mode

Subject: "replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!" Previous topic | Next topic
95RS_overseesOct-12-07 12:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30805, "replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"

2GNT-guru's,

I need some help. I need to replace my 95RS front shocks and springs and front cv joints. However I do not have experience on the different possibilities.

This is the case. Apparently one of my springs is broken. Also need to replace some bushings front and rear (probably go for the Prothane Bushing Kit).
Also probably my front cv joints on one side are busted, so need to replace this as well.

So de-assembling the most of the front suspension, I thought better to replace shocks and springs altogether. Saves time and having lined up the wheels later again.

Here's where I need some help.
I see many shocks possibilities and spring coils. What do you guys recommend to do best? I do not want to lower my car, as I already have troubles with some roadbumps here.

I found (included the links):
Monroe shocks about $70:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/products/products.php?year=1995&make_text=mitsubishi&model_text=eclipse&category=suspension&subcategory=shock_absorber

KYB GR-2 shocks $90 for a pair (what about Front Shock Bellows, is that separate?):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-SHOCKS-STRUTS-ECLIPSE-TALON-FRONTS-95-99-98-97-96_W0QQitemZ220159399433QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TOKICO HP2 $137 a pair:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-2-SHOCKS-FRONTS-ECLIPSE-TALON-95-99_W0QQitemZ160164351672QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But still, need the coil springs as well. These are ranging from $10- $15 on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-COILOVER-SPRING-BLUE-GS-RS-98_W0QQitemZ130161678156QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Coilover-Lowering-Spring-96-97_W0QQitemZ200161444907QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-MITS-ECLIPSE-RACING-COILOVER-SPRING-GSX-GST-96-97_W0QQitemZ270174952122QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I find also complete sets:
DropZone Racing Struts/Shocks+Coilovers about $260 for front and rear.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DropZone-Racing-Struts-Shocks-Coilovers-95-99-Eclipse_W0QQitemZ130162436911QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33586QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What is the best to do, not spending the most bucks. I just need good or better replacement from my stock ones. Any help is surely appreciated!

(just another short question on the axle assemblies: what's better, the EMPI ones or the ARC?)

Thanks guys!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-07 04:17 AM, #1
RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, 95RS_oversees, Oct-12-07 07:24 AM, #2
      RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-07 07:44 AM, #3
           RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, 95RS_oversees, Oct-12-07 08:05 AM, #4
                RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-07 09:58 AM, #5
                RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, 95RS_oversees, Oct-12-07 01:43 PM, #6
                     RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-12-07 02:02 PM, #7
                RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-13-07 09:23 PM, #8
                     RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, 95RS_oversees, Oct-15-07 01:22 AM, #9
RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, dalesmitsu, Oct-15-07 01:47 AM, #10
RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, Harashi, Oct-16-07 09:29 AM, #11
      RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-16-07 08:05 PM, #12
           RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, dalesmitsu, Oct-18-07 04:19 AM, #13
                RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, AdministratorCODE4, Oct-18-07 06:48 AM, #14
                     RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-18-07 07:22 AM, #15
                          RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, dalesmitsu, Oct-18-07 08:09 PM, #16
                               RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!, goalie40, Oct-22-07 09:54 AM, #17

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-07 04:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30806, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 0

if you don't want to lower the car, quit looking at the ebay springs. they're mostly junk and will sag in a year beyond what they lower the car. stock ride height will come with stock springs, anything else will lower the car, even the coilover kits at full height are 1-1.5" shorter than stock

for a good stock ride the KYB GR2 struts are just like stock, very good quality IMO, for a little more performance the tokico's are great.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95RS_overseesOct-12-07 07:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
29 posts,
#30807, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
if you don't want to lower the car, quit looking at the ebay springs. they're mostly junk and will sag in a year beyond what they lower the car. stock ride height will come with stock springs, anything else will lower the car, even the coilover kits at full height are 1-1.5" shorter than stock for a good stock ride the KYB GR2 struts are just like stock, very good quality IMO, for a little more performance the tokico's are great.

Ok Erik, thanks for the advice. Appreciate any help. But that will count for the shocks only, so what coil springs would you suggest? Except for the dropzone they are not a complete set. I guess the Dropzone you would not recommend either?

Jeronimo

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-07 07:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#30808, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 2

not if you want to keep the stock ride height.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

95RS_overseesOct-12-07 08:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
29 posts,
#30809, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 3

So even when they claim it can do a 0" adjustment then. Ok, good to know they're not recommended for my case either. Thanks for clearing that out, Erik!

Still leaves me the question: Which ones I could use!?! Please Help. Anyone!

Jeronimo

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-07 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#30810, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 4

I would search for people giving away stock springs, or contact mitsu, perhaps someplace like autozone.

Erik P.

95RS_overseesOct-12-07 01:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
29 posts,
#30811, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 5

So the old stock springs just go without mod on the KYB or tokico's? And need shock bellows and strut mounts? Or use the old ones?

Tried Autozone&O'reilly, does not sell them. Any other suggestion where to try? I can't imagine there is no aftermarket stock spring.

Jeronimo

RoninEclipse2GOct-12-07 02:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#30812, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 6

if the bellows are in decent condition, you can condition them with some silicon lube, but if they're cracked go ahead and replace them and the bumpstops (usually those come in the kit)

the stock springs will work fine with the kyb or tokico struts.

Erik P.

AdministratorCODE4Oct-13-07 09:23 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#30814, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by 95RS_oversees
So even when they claim it can do a 0" adjustment then. Ok, good to know they're not recommended for my case either. Thanks for clearing that out, Erik! Still leaves me the question: Which ones I could use!?! Please Help. Anyone! Jeronimo

I will be installing some H&R Springs in the next week or so, you can have my stockers off my 99 for cost of shipping bro. They have 118K miles on them but are in awesome shape.

---

2012 2500HD LML

95RS_overseesOct-15-07 01:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
29 posts,
#30815, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Absolutely great, man, thanks! I will have an inspection today, to see if mine really is bust like the mechanic says.

If so, I will let you know. Thanks again!
Jeronimo

dalesmitsuOct-15-07 01:47 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#30816, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 95RS_oversees
2GNT-guru's, I need some help. I need to replace my 95RS front shocks and springs and front cv joints. However I do not have experience on the different possibilities. This is the case. Apparently one of my springs is broken. Also need to replace some bushings front and rear (probably go for the Prothane Bushing Kit). Also probably my front cv joints on one side are busted, so need to replace this as well. So de-assembling the most of the front suspension, I thought better to replace shocks and springs altogether. Saves time and having lined up the wheels later again. Here's where I need some help. I see many shocks possibilities and spring coils. What do you guys recommend to do best? I do not want to lower my car, as I already have troubles with some roadbumps here. I found (included the links): Monroe shocks about $70: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/products/products.php?year=1995&make_text=mitsubishi&model_text=eclipse&category=suspension&subcategory=shock_absorber KYB GR-2 shocks $90 for a pair (what about Front Shock Bellows, is that separate?): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-SHOCKS-STRUTS-ECLIPSE-TALON-FRONTS-95-99-98-97-96_W0QQitemZ220159399433QQihZ012QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem TOKICO HP2 $137 a pair: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-2-SHOCKS-FRONTS-ECLIPSE-TALON-95-99_W0QQitemZ160164351672QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33590QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem But still, need the coil springs as well. These are ranging from $10- $15 on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-COILOVER-SPRING-BLUE-GS-RS-98_W0QQitemZ130161678156QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-Coilover-Lowering-Spring-96-97_W0QQitemZ200161444907QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-MITS-ECLIPSE-RACING-COILOVER-SPRING-GSX-GST-96-97_W0QQitemZ270174952122QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem I find also complete sets: DropZone Racing Struts/Shocks+Coilovers about $260 for front and rear. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DropZone-Racing-Struts-Shocks-Coilovers-95-99-Eclipse_W0QQitemZ130162436911QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33586QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem What is the best to do, not spending the most bucks. I just need good or better replacement from my stock ones. Any help is surely appreciated! (just another short question on the axle assemblies: what's better, the EMPI ones or the ARC?) Thanks guys!

Checkout Advanceautoparts.com for those KYB GR2's and the bellows the prices are cheaper than autozone. I don't shop at autozone for this reason, Parts are the same both at Advance auto and Autozone but when comes to SAVING money. Advanceauto wins.

Good thread Mybad for stepping in I also need to replace my too.

2 more Questions would you Gurus recommend EiBach ProKit springs with KYB GR2 or the Tokico. I'm going for the PROKIT its somewhat stock height abit lower but Which shocks/struts would be a great match with these Eibach's Advancesuto has the PROKIT for 216 not bad cheapest I found them

HarashiOct-16-07 09:29 AM
Member since Mar 21st 2007
47 posts,
#30819, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 10

For stock ride height, the GR-2 strut is awesome. My buddy runs them in his lowered neon (about 1.5-2" drop on it) and it rides like stock. If you want to lower, get the Illuminas from Tokico. If you want to be able to play with the dampening without lowering (or only on a mild drop), the KYB AGX is a really good shock for that, I've found.

As for springs, junk yards have em probably cheap. Sometimes you can score some in good shape (Avengers/Sebrings I believe run the same suspension setups). If you really need them, I still have my stock springs, and they're no longer any use to me, so we could work out something for them if you'd like.

~Scott
1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

AdministratorCODE4Oct-16-07 08:05 PM
2552 posts,
#30820, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Harashi
For stock ride height, the GR-2 strut is awesome. My buddy runs them in his lowered neon (about 1.5-2" drop on it) and it rides like stock. If you want to lower, get the Illuminas from Tokico. If you want to be able to play with the dampening without lowering (or only on a mild drop), the KYB AGX is a really good shock for that, I've found. As for springs, junk yards have em probably cheap. Sometimes you can score some in good shape (Avengers/Sebrings I believe run the same suspension setups). If you really need them, I still have my stock springs, and they're no longer any use to me, so we could work out something for them if you'd like.

Avengers run stiffer OEM springs that 2GNTs. And there are probably quite a few people that have their stockers lying around that you could find. Just post up in the Wanted Section.

---

2012 2500HD LML

dalesmitsuOct-18-07 04:19 AM
986 posts,
#30822, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by Harashi For stock ride height, the GR-2 strut is awesome. My buddy runs them in his lowered neon (about 1.5-2" drop on it) and it rides like stock. If you want to lower, get the Illuminas from Tokico. If you want to be able to play with the dampening without lowering (or only on a mild drop), the KYB AGX is a really good shock for that, I've found. As for springs, junk yards have em probably cheap. Sometimes you can score some in good shape (Avengers/Sebrings I believe run the same suspension setups). If you really need them, I still have my stock springs, and they're no longer any use to me, so we could work out something for them if you'd like.
Avengers run stiffer OEM springs that 2GNTs. And there are probably quite a few people that have their stockers lying around that you could find. Just post up in the Wanted Section.

Mmm. I thought Avenger springs are only for the strip not normal driving.

Would Kyb Gr2 matched with EiBach Pro kit work together
or how about

AGX and the Pro Kit

I have my sights on the Prokit so I'm looking for a set of struts to work with them,

AdministratorCODE4Oct-18-07 06:48 AM
2552 posts,
#30823, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Hence what I said, the Avenger springs are stiffer.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GOct-18-07 07:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#30824, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 14

the avenger springs would net a stiffer ride but keep a stock ride height, might help prevent body roll quite nicely. the drag guys run them in the rear to prevent weight transfer, don't see why they couldn't be used for the street other than the extra ride harshness (performance springs would do that anyway)

Erik P.

dalesmitsuOct-18-07 08:09 PM
986 posts,
#30825, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
the avenger springs would net a stiffer ride but keep a stock ride height, might help prevent body roll quite nicely. the drag guys run them in the rear to prevent weight transfer, don't see why they couldn't be used for the street other than the extra ride harshness (performance springs would do that anyway)

thanks Eric for explaining more about the avenger srings and also the othher guy.

goalie40Oct-22-07 09:54 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#30826, "RE: replacing shocks and springs. Need HELP!!"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by 95RS_oversees So even when they claim it can do a 0" adjustment then. Ok, good to know they're not recommended for my case either. Thanks for clearing that out, Erik! Still leaves me the question: Which ones I could use!?! Please Help. Anyone! Jeronimo
I will be installing some H&R Springs in the next week or so, you can have my stockers off my 99 for cost of shipping bro. They have 118K miles on them but are in awesome shape.

H&R springs are nice a little bouncy and a huge drop im over 2 inches my front bumper is 3 fingers from the ground. Im ordering tein flex coilovers my next paycheck. here is whats going on in a few weeks.

coilovers
gsx fronts
disk rears
rear sway bar
ss brake lines
good bushings
edfc after I recover from my 1400 suspension.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30805 Previous topic | Next topic