Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30173
View in linear mode

Subject: "cutting springs?" Previous topic | Next topic
bloodyangel1Mar-09-07 04:06 PM
Member since Aug 02nd 2005
332 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30173, "cutting springs?"

i was wondering if it would be possible to cut lowering springs? i have a set of tein s-tech that only have 1000-2000 miles on them, but they didnt drop the car far enough, and i wanted to drop it like another 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch, but dont know how much of the spring would be needed to be removed to get this much of a drop... i wouldnt be cutting them myself either.

my rims now are 17"x7.5" with a 40mm offset, but i might be going to 18"x7.5" with a 45mm offset, but i wasnt even close to rubbing with the drop from the tein's...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: cutting springs?, TeamDR1665, Mar-09-07 06:41 PM, #1
RE: cutting springs?, totaleclipse_05, Mar-09-07 07:37 PM, #2
      RE: cutting springs?, Malenko, Mar-10-07 04:21 AM, #3
RE: cutting springs?, Penumbra, Mar-10-07 01:00 PM, #4
RE: cutting springs?, goalie40, Mar-11-07 10:11 AM, #5
      RE: cutting springs?, XMasta19, Mar-14-07 02:17 PM, #6
           RE: cutting springs?, EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Mar-14-07 03:29 PM, #7
                RE: cutting springs?, reddrifteclipse, Mar-15-07 01:43 PM, #8
                     RE: cutting springs?, eclipse_gs_1512, Mar-17-07 07:04 AM, #9
                          RE: cutting springs?, edxmon, Mar-17-07 02:18 PM, #10
                               RE: cutting springs?, hazardeclipse, Mar-23-07 09:15 PM, #11
                                    RE: cutting springs?, Byron, Apr-08-07 06:24 AM, #12

TeamDR1665Mar-09-07 06:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30174, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 0

I wouldn't risk it, man. The best bet would be to buy either a set of Eibach Sportlines or some Ground Control coilovers. Then you could sell your Teins for something like $100 on here to recover some of the cost. Don't think of it as buying another set, but paying for an upgrade.

According to www.2gnt.com/www/dino/wiki_testing/index.php?d=Springs, the S-Techs give you about a 1.3" drop front and rear, while the Sportlines are 1.6". From experience, the Sportlines are really too low for a car that isn't spending most of its time on the highway, but if you want to go even lower, the H&R Sport kit will go 1.7".

Some food for thought, bro.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

totaleclipse_05Mar-09-07 07:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#30175, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 1

I had the Sportlines and I agree with Driggs, they are best suited for highway driving. I just got some Pro-Kit springs now and they sit up a little higher than my Sportlines did, but give it a much stiffer feel. Also cornering is greatly improved.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

MalenkoMar-10-07 04:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#30177, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 2

pro kits with Tokico 5-ways, it's what I run and it's the best suspension combination in my eyes (short of some really nice/expensive Tein set ups).

I've never heard of anyone dropping the money for teins then wanting to cut them. Cutting springs is for civic drivers, BANME!

PenumbraMar-10-07 01:00 PM
Member since Jun 08th 2005
34 posts,
#30179, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 0

NEVER cut springs. When you change the length of the spring, the spring rate needs to match, however, cutting the spring does not allow for the correct spring rate. While skipping all the math and equations, your spring rate is impacted by the number of coils in the spring, by cutting the spring you will negatively impact the spring rate and the vehicle will not handle properly.

I have Tein S-tech, and I have problems with ground clearance driving around Worcester as is, back in Connecticut, I get away with it. We have a much lower/more aggressive setup on my brother's MX-6, and I can say from experience, if this is a daily driver in an area with ANY road hazards, you don't want to lower it too far.

1997 Eagle Talon ESi:|Shaved 2Gb bumper|CP CAI w/ K&N Filter and cold air box|Megan Racing Headers|Solid shifter bushings |PowerSlot rotors/Hawk HPS
pads|Rear Disk Conversion | Prothane Engine Mounts|Tokico Illumina struts|Tein S-Tech springs|Front/Rear Upper and Lower Braces |Energy Suspension Bushings|
55mm Half Shaft TB|Greddy eManage Ultimate|AEM UEGO Wideband|Autometer gauges
1987 Trans Am GTA: Project

goalie40Mar-11-07 10:11 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#30182, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 4

I have H&R race springs my front bumper is no more than 3 fingers from resting on the ground it looks nice but roads in hawaii suck ass and my car is way to low im getting tein flexs. you can always get a taller sidewall on your tires to fill a bit of gap.

if you just did your springs give it some time. Your car will settle a bit, mine droped 1/4 to 1/2 inch more after a month of driving

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

XMasta19Mar-14-07 02:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#30194, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 5

Why are threads like this even allowed...

I mean, do people seriously consider these things

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Mar-14-07 03:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#30195, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 6

yea dont even bother cutting, its not worth it overall. i agree with malenko, prokits and tokico illuminas are the way to go. i have illuminas on my car and love them; for springs i have suspension technique springs and they are alright, but id rather have prokits. more people seem to be highly satisfied with them.

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

reddrifteclipseMar-15-07 01:43 PM
Member since Apr 10th 2006
47 posts,
#30200, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 7

cutting = bad

these = 120ish shipped from the nopi e-cat. 2" front and rear!

1996 Eclipse RS - sold, you will be missed
1996 Ram 1500 - Dixie Customs Edition
2001 Durango R/T - the daddy van
2006 Eclipse GS - the new toy

eclipse_gs_1512Mar-17-07 07:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3287 posts,
#30210, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 8

Don't mess around with your suspension like that. Spend the money and do it correctly. My choice of a setup while on a budget would be prokits and koni yellows...I had that setup on my old gs and was extremely satisfied with the performance and ride quality.

2007 wrx

edxmonMar-17-07 02:18 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#30211, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 9

You could always go on ebay and get the tokico combo. I think it ran me bout $400 including shipping, about a 1.5in. drop.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

hazardeclipseMar-23-07 09:15 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
640 posts,
#30229, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 10

offtopic: ive had my prokits for over a year, and how did everyones settle? mine i can barely get 2 fingers in front and can get 3 in the back. That normal?

RIP- Rustbucket 1995-2009

‹hazardeclipse› by the way youre thinking of hazard_eclipse
‹hazardeclipse› thats not my fucking car
‹teklein› Oh yeah
‹hazardeclipse› he stole my name
‹hazardeclipse› fuck that radioactive yellow shit
‹teklein› Hazard_eclipse is the homo.

ByronApr-08-07 06:24 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2005
59 posts,
#30256, "RE: cutting springs?"
In response to Reply # 11

mine settled pretty fast due to the fact I bought them used, but with 18's and 40 profile tires, i have about 2-3 fingers in front and a good 3 in the rear. The drop was a lot more than I expected, but i don't rub and it looks awesome so I don't complain.

99 Eclipse GST, Bullseye v-trim turbo, p&p 1g head, apexi fmic, hard ic piping, megan sway bars, act2100, autometer gauges, rs limited wheels, safc2... and more

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30173 Previous topic | Next topic