Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30149
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ball joint in upper control arm." Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonFeb-27-07 06:57 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30149, "Ball joint in upper control arm."

I was changing out my wheels because I was excited because I just picked up my Talon again (gas mileage reasons) and have not driven it in a while.

While I was down there I was doing a "random" shake check of the suspension components, you know, 205k does catch up to you after-all.

My question is, can I just replace the ball joint in the upper control arm (or A-arm?), or does it have to be the entire unit?

I was shaking it and it was BAD. The swaybar endlinks on the Trailblazer were shot when I got it, but that was 1/32-1/16" movement with effort, this was 1/16+" EASY.

Any help would be great.

On a side note, we have a dinky little sway bar. Maybe I never noticed it until now, but damn! The sway bar on the Trailblazer is about 1.5" diameter (yeah, huge), but this thing is what... 1/2 inch? Upgrade needed for me!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Ball joint in upper control arm., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-27-07 08:41 AM, #1
RE: Ball joint in upper control arm., 95_ESi_Person, Feb-27-07 02:57 PM, #2
      MOOG upper ball joints, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-01-07 06:42 AM, #3
           RE: MOOG upper ball joints, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-01-07 08:24 AM, #4
                RE: MOOG upper ball joints, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-01-07 02:13 PM, #5
                RE: MOOG upper ball joints, mcgyvr, Mar-02-07 06:30 AM, #6
                     RE: MOOG upper ball joints, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-04-07 10:47 AM, #7
                     RE: MOOG upper ball joints, ez, Mar-05-07 10:56 AM, #8
                          RE: MOOG upper ball joints, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-10-07 03:03 AM, #9
                RE: MOOG upper ball joints, DanKid, Apr-15-07 07:16 PM, #10
                     RE: MOOG upper ball joints, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-16-07 02:28 AM, #11
                          RE: MOOG upper ball joints, 95_ESi_Person, Apr-16-07 04:05 AM, #12
                          RE: MOOG upper ball joints, freelancefool, Apr-17-07 05:38 AM, #13
                          RE: MOOG upper ball joints, DanKid, Apr-17-07 02:38 PM, #14
                               RE: MOOG upper ball joints, 95_ESi_Person, Apr-18-07 04:27 AM, #15
                                    RE: MOOG upper ball joints, WickedESi, May-04-07 05:08 PM, #16
                                         RE: MOOG upper ball joints, DanKid, May-04-07 07:53 PM, #17
                                              RE: MOOG upper ball joints, WickedESi, May-05-07 10:56 AM, #18
                                                   RE: MOOG upper ball joints, DanKid, May-06-07 03:31 AM, #19
                                                        RE: MOOG upper ball joints, freelancefool, May-06-07 03:51 AM, #20

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-27-07 08:41 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#30151, "RE: Ball joint in upper control arm."
In response to Reply # 0

the front upper ball joints are replaceable. they are about 30.00 each give or take. I used a press to remove mine but i guess you could pound them out.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95_ESi_PersonFeb-27-07 02:57 PM
3260 posts,
#30152, "RE: Ball joint in upper control arm."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Terry!

I'm assuming it's just a matter of popping the dust cap off and going from there?

95_ESi_PersonMar-01-07 06:42 AM
3260 posts,
#30154, "MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 2

I just got the MOOG ball joints. Do other replacements come with some ring?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-01-07 08:24 AM
8331 posts,
#30155, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 3

Even the stocker has a snap ring.

Terry

95_ESi_PersonMar-01-07 02:13 PM
3260 posts,
#30156, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok. So that is what makes Chiltons say that the upper ball joint is not replaceable by itself?

I'm in the process of the few-days soaking of PB Blaster to help ease my effort.

mcgyvrMar-02-07 06:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#30157, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 5

Chiltons says that because when they wrote it there wasn't a ball joint replacement. Now there is.
You can even get adj. ones from the parts stores which are much cheaper than the SPC ones.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

95_ESi_PersonMar-04-07 10:47 AM
3260 posts,
#30158, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 6

Got them on.

Still a noisy ride with clunking sounds, but that is probably just the endlinks, and not a dangerous clunking like that ball joint was.

ezMar-05-07 10:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#30159, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by mcgyvr
You can even get adj. ones from the parts stores which are much cheaper than the SPC ones.

Where and what part number??? TIA x 1000!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

95_ESi_PersonMar-10-07 03:03 AM
3260 posts,
#30176, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by ez
Where and what part number??? TIA x 1000!

They had some at Advance when I went there initially. CarQuest may also carry some. Just ask them about it.

DanKidApr-15-07 07:16 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#30283, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Even the stocker has a snap ring. Terry

Any tips on how to get that snap ring out of there? I tried putting pressure on it through the opening with a flat head screw driver and the damn thing would only go up a little a then drop back down. Just to make sure we're talking about the same snap ring it's flat right?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-16-07 02:28 AM
8331 posts,
#30284, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 10

Get the right tool for the job. Snap ring plier for a snap ring that doesnt have holes, yes they have a special set of pliers for that. You might be able to use a standard set.

95_ESi_PersonApr-16-07 04:05 AM
3260 posts,
#30285, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 11

I used a standard set and a screwdriver or two.

To put the new ones on I took a piece of 1" ID PVC pipe with a cut down the side and the snap ring pliers and a mallet.

Be prepared for fun.

freelancefoolApr-17-07 05:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#30286, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 12

I just purchased new upper ball joints because I didn't think I could change them out. Maybe I should use the SEARCH button more.

My Blog

DanKidApr-17-07 02:38 PM
480 posts,
#30290, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Get the right tool for the job. Snap ring plier for a snap ring that doesnt have holes, yes they have a special set of pliers for that. You might be able to use a standard set.

Got the snap ring pliers today at Autozone and the snap ring was off in a couple of minutes. Then I tried to beat the ball joint off of the control arm with a hammer but it won't budge. I hit it so much that the threaded bolt end of the ball joint is rounded. Any suggestions?

95_ESi_PersonApr-18-07 04:27 AM
3260 posts,
#30293, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by DanKid
Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon Get the right tool for the job. Snap ring plier for a snap ring that doesnt have holes, yes they have a special set of pliers for that. You might be able to use a standard set.
Got the snap ring pliers today at Autozone and the snap ring was off in a couple of minutes. Then I tried to beat the ball joint off of the control arm with a hammer but it won't budge. I hit it so much that the threaded bolt end of the ball joint is rounded. Any suggestions?

I used my 32mm socket with the upper control arm off of the vehicle. I put it threaded post side down into the socket (socket is to hold it in place), and used a 2lb hammer and beat the crap out of the control arm until it popped out. The hammer did not damage the control arm one bit. Getting the new ones in is going to be fun for you! Have a torch handy.

WickedESiMay-04-07 05:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#30332, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 15

Ball joint presses are wondrous tools. It's a little unpractical to be buying a nice kit for a one time job. Maybe you can rent one, or maybe one of those cheap harbor freight ones would be worth buying for a once or twice job.

You don't have to remove the control arm using one of these, but you do need an impact gun.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

DanKidMay-04-07 07:53 PM
480 posts,
#30333, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by WickedESi
Ball joint presses are wondrous tools. It's a little unpractical to be buying a nice kit for a one time job. Maybe you can rent one, or maybe one of those cheap harbor freight ones would be worth buying for a once or twice job. You don't have to remove the control arm using one of these, but you do need an impact gun.

Tell me about it. I was able to rent one at Autozone and the ball joints were out in minutes. It's a shame though all that work for nothing. I put in some adjustable ingall ball joints to accomodate my sportline springs and tokiko shock setup and I got serious rubbing and banging noises coming from the front right side. I'm gonna put the stock setup back in this weekend and sell the whole suspension on ebay. Too much of a headache and not enough money in my pockets right now to have a professional look at it.

WickedESiMay-05-07 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#30335, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 17

Why don't you try harder to take a look at what's rubbing/banging first. It's gotta be something simple. This is a common setup.

Try jacking the car up, and shaking the wheel down, and shaking the strut, maybe something is just loose. You didn't forget the dust boots did you? They have an important washer in them you need.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

DanKidMay-06-07 03:31 AM
480 posts,
#30336, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by WickedESi
Why don't you try harder to take a look at what's rubbing/banging first. It's gotta be something simple. This is a common setup. Try jacking the car up, and shaking the wheel down, and shaking the strut, maybe something is just loose. You didn't forget the dust boots did you? They have an important washer in them you need.

I didn't forget the dust boots but it's just becoming too much of a hastle. Aside from the banging and rubbing noise I have a kit and the car is so low that for the last three years I have had to put the stock suspension back in whenever it starts getting cold out. I'm getting tired of having to switch back and fourth. Then last year I had to spend $300 on new tires cause the drop had eaten the insides of the tires bad. I'm gonna focus more attention on performance now.

freelancefoolMay-06-07 03:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#30337, "RE: MOOG upper ball joints"
In response to Reply # 19

Buy some RRE upper control arms and lower the car. Just make sure that you get it aligned after you lower it.

My Blog

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #30149 Previous topic | Next topic