Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29859
View in linear mode

Subject: "Chassis Brace" Previous topic | Next topic
talon749Oct-13-06 07:50 PM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29859, "Chassis Brace"
Oct-14-06 08:31 AM by DR1665

has anyone seen this, or used it?
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8018047113&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=8006622006&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

they make one for the front and rear, where would this thing even go?
I am actually impressed with my ebay strut/shock tower bars, and lower tie bars, well the front is tanbe. point is im wanting to buy a set of these if anyone can give some input, thanks

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Chassis Brace, TeamDR1665, Oct-14-06 08:39 AM, #1
RE: Chassis Brace, slowmitsu, Oct-14-06 10:58 AM, #2
      RE: Chassis Brace, TeamDR1665, Oct-14-06 11:21 AM, #3
           RE: Chassis Brace, mcgyvr, Oct-15-06 11:31 AM, #4
                RE: Chassis Brace, turbo8u, Oct-15-06 05:08 PM, #5
                     RE: Chassis Brace, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-15-06 05:28 PM, #6
                          RE: Chassis Brace, mcgyvr, Oct-16-06 06:26 AM, #7
                               RE: Chassis Brace, turbo8u, Oct-16-06 02:34 PM, #8
                                    RE: Chassis Brace, talon749, Oct-16-06 06:37 PM, #9
                                         RE: Chassis Brace, TheGhost, Oct-17-06 12:27 PM, #10
                                              RE: Chassis Brace, TeamDR1665, Oct-17-06 01:50 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Chassis Brace, turbo8u, Oct-17-06 02:03 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Chassis Brace, Dinkjs, Dec-09-06 04:38 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Chassis Brace, TeamDR1665, Dec-21-06 07:51 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Chassis Brace, HadesOmega, Dec-30-06 05:22 PM, #15

TeamDR1665Oct-14-06 08:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29860, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 0

Ever see a Honda with the DC Sports version? It's going to go something like this:

Personally, I would think it should be made of steel rather than aluminum, but I'm no expert. I would venture to say that you should really focus on your suspenders before you get very anal about bracing the geometry. I doubt you would notice anything other than cool points (nothing wrong with that) if you installed bracing such as this without upper tier suspension components on the street.

My personal theory on handling priorities in the order in which you would feel the difference would be like this:
-quality coil over system (Tein or JIC, no sleeved shit)
-brake upgrade w/ braided lines (larger fronts, in particular)
-urethane suspension bushings
-larger rear sway bar (or one at all)
-upgraded brake master
-tie and tower bars

This will do more for that car in terms of looks, imo, than actual performance.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

slowmitsuOct-14-06 10:58 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#29861, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DR1665
My personal theory on handling priorities in the order in which you would feel the difference would be like this: -quality coil over system (Tein or JIC, no sleeved shit) -brake upgrade w/ braided lines (larger fronts, in particular) -urethane suspension bushings -larger rear sway bar (or one at all) -upgraded brake master -tie and tower bars This will do more for that car in terms of looks, imo, than actual performance.

And of course the only part of the car actually touching the ground, quality tires.

_______

BPU'd skittle

TeamDR1665Oct-14-06 11:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#29862, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by slowmitsu
And of course the only part of the car actually touching the ground, quality tires.

mcgyvrOct-15-06 11:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#29865, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 3

I highly disagree. rear lower tie bars make a big difference

Our rear cross member is a thin/weak piece of crap. lower tie bars make a big difference.
Look into the D3 designs kit its like 300 or so and includes tons of different bars that make a huge differnce.

IMO a decent front strut tower bar/rear lower tie bar, and for you eclipse guys the rear upper strut bar for the price is a great investment and works great

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

turbo8uOct-15-06 05:08 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#29870, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-15-06 05:11 PM by turbo8u

Originally posted by mcgyvr
I highly disagree. rear lower tie bars make a big difference Our rear cross member is a thin/weak piece of crap. lower tie bars make a big difference. Look into the D3 designs kit its like 300 or so and includes tons of different bars that make a huge differnce. IMO a decent front strut tower bar/rear lower tie bar, and for you eclipse guys the rear upper strut bar for the price is a great investment and works great

I dont have any rear bar and my Talon handles like a son of a bitch, ask Driggs. It's not exactly needed to get a 2g to stick hard.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-15-06 05:28 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#29871, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 5

The rear subframe is not a cheap flimsy peice of steel, its fairly rigid. Remove one and take a good look. Lower rear is not nearly as critical as the uppers. Since i removed my uppers, i have not noticed any loss of cornering or any instability. Drivers skill is more of a factor.

Terry

mcgyvrOct-16-06 06:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#29875, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 6

The rear crossmember where the lower control arms/toe control arms bolt to IS flimsy.. Stiffening up those points makes a big enough difference to notice.

and an upper is really needed with the eclipse hatchback
The avenger has the rear deck which really negates the need for the rear upper. but the rear lower makes a big difference IMO in both vehicals

Im not saying its absolutely needed to get an eclipse to handle decently, but obviously its going to improve it.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

turbo8uOct-16-06 02:34 PM
10552 posts,
#29879, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by mcgyvr
Im not saying its absolutely needed to get an eclipse to handle decently, but obviously its going to improve it.

how do you know that? Have you tested cornering capabilities on a skidpad and seen an improvement with all other things kept constant?

Just because it might FEEL more solid, doesnt mean it can actually stick any harder.

The deflection of the BUSHINGS is going to make a larger difference than a sissy bar.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

talon749Oct-16-06 06:37 PM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
#29882, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 8

yes I agree the busings make a huge differance, I have the energy suspension set up and it is amazing

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

TheGhostOct-17-06 12:27 PM
Member since Sep 26th 2006
141 posts,
#29884, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 9

IMO I believe that anything that helps fight chassis deflection is worth a look and any thing that helps fight chassis deflection thats shipped for 45$ is definitley worth a try. I love carving corners so I am biased to handling upgrades but try it and post a review so the rest of us know.

" In my life I only knew one man that could GO FAST, that man was RICKY BOBBY "

TeamDR1665Oct-17-06 01:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#29885, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by TheGhost
IMO I believe that anything that helps fight chassis deflection is worth a look and any thing that helps fight chassis deflection thats shipped for 45$ is definitley worth a try. I love carving corners so I am biased to handling upgrades but try it and post a review so the rest of us know.

This is possibly the best reply yet. Personally, I would address the larger issues first, namely suspenders and bouncers, but I've no reason to doubt McGyver. Terry knows his shit and Josh? Well, I've never been more terrified in a DSM than I was that night Josh said, Josiah's not answering the phone, so let's see who's running the canyon tonight."

turbo8uOct-17-06 02:03 PM
10552 posts,
#29886, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by DR1665
I've never been more terrified in a DSM than I was that night Josh said, Josiah's not answering the phone, so let's see who's running the canyon tonight."

thats right! hahaha! until I understeered a little bit on that hairpin uphill at the end, that really freaked ya out!

we need to do it again B

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

DinkjsDec-09-06 04:38 AM
Member since Jun 16th 2002
1035 posts,
#29994, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 12

When I had my Eclipse I had a rear lower bar attached with upgraded swaybars and it helped take some of the understeer out which gave a more neutral ride handling

I had the Stillen swaybars which gave bigger over stock with a bigger swaybar up front so using the rear lower bar basically added benefit with the upgraded rear swaybar

Old = 1997 Eclipse GS
New = 2005 Scion xB

Member # 2283

TeamDR1665Dec-21-06 07:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#30015, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by Dinkjs
When I had my Eclipse I had a rear lower bar attached with upgraded swaybars and it helped take some of the understeer out which gave a more neutral ride handling I had the Stillen swaybars which gave bigger over stock with a bigger swaybar up front so using the rear lower bar basically added benefit with the upgraded rear swaybar Old = 1997 Eclipse GS New = 2005 Scion xB Member # 2283

Welcome back, man. Notice the dates on this one?

HadesOmegaDec-30-06 05:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#30022, "RE: Chassis Brace"
In response to Reply # 14

installed one on mine i can't even remember how long ago seem make a bit of a difference. I can't remember what though, that one looks pretty solid. Probably not gonna make the difference some sway bars around going to do but it does make the back a little stiffer, yay more oversteer!

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29859 Previous topic | Next topic