Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29430
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??" Previous topic | Next topic
XMasta19Jun-13-06 08:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29430, "Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"

So yeah, doing the GSX brake conversion, the infamous nut on the upper hardline was stripped to hell and rounded off. I wasn't cool enough to have that special 10mm wrench that I needed. Anywho, I need to the line, replace that fitting, re-flare etc. I got ss lines that go from the caliper to the upper hardline, and the size from the anplumbing site says 10mm. Does anyone know exactly what size, thread pitch, etc that fitting is supposed to be? I bought a couple today, but not sure if either will actually thread into the lines. I still have to take it all apart in order to actually be able to take the ss line to the store with me and test it that way.

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-14-06 05:43 AM, #1
RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, mcgyvr, Jun-14-06 06:04 AM, #2
      RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-14-06 06:51 AM, #3
           RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, ForceFed420a, Jun-14-06 07:40 AM, #4
                RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-14-06 07:42 AM, #5
                     RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-14-06 08:58 AM, #6
                          RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-14-06 07:50 PM, #7
                               RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-14-06 10:17 PM, #8
                                    RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-15-06 12:30 PM, #9
                                         RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-15-06 02:07 PM, #10
                                              RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jun-15-06 04:55 PM, #11
                                              RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-15-06 06:58 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-15-06 10:42 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-16-06 08:22 AM, #14
                                                             RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-16-06 08:15 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-18-06 01:54 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-19-06 01:00 AM, #17
                                                                            RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-23-06 04:56 PM, #18
                                                                                 RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-24-06 06:28 AM, #19
                                                                                      RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-24-06 07:19 AM, #20
                                                                                           RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, XMasta19, Jun-24-06 12:26 PM, #21
                                                                                                RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-25-06 04:50 PM, #22

XMasta19Jun-14-06 05:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29434, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-14-06 05:43 AM by XMasta19

If it's of any concern, I have ss lines p/n: 63071022
http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=Kit&dept=Speed-Flex

-Xavier-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrJun-14-06 06:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#29435, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 1

just use vice grips
The lines have a double flare, all the flare tools/fittings they typically sell at the autoparts store are single flare.
Brake lines need that double flare.
I believe you just need to buy the whole tube assembly from the dealer or just do what I did and get those vice grips clamped down on it and just use it as is and not replace it

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

XMasta19Jun-14-06 06:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29436, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 2

That really sucks, I totally wasn't even thinking about the whole double flare. I already used the vise-grips, and that damn nut is almost completely rounded out. It happened on both sides, so unless I just happened to cross-thread each one, then my ss lines weren't the correct threading as I thought. I really need to fix this seeing as I can't drive a car without brakes lol. So there's no way to just cut that line and try using a regular compression fitting and re-flaring the line myself?

-Xavier-

ForceFed420aJun-14-06 07:40 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#29437, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 3

If you're in a pinch, I've heard of a guy who vise gripped his rear brake lines shut so he could drive around. Obviously, it's dangerous, but it worked

Brian

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

XMasta19Jun-14-06 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29438, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 4

LMAO...these are for the front, and I wouldn't wanna pinch off the lines goin to those sexy gsx brembos hehe.

-Xavier-

XMasta19Jun-14-06 08:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29439, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 5

Well I got the p/n's according to CAPS, and it seems the right side is still available through dealer or chryslerpartsdirect ect, but the left side has been discontinued. Does anyone happen to just know the size or end fittings needed to just get replacement ss lines for these as well to go from the proportioning valve?

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-14-06 07:50 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#29442, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 6

10mm X 1.0 thread

XMasta19Jun-14-06 10:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29443, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 7

So that's exactly what the lines I have now that you referred to me. How come they didn't thread right onto the fittings like they should Since you know the threading is the same on the lines, that means I just need two more lines like the ones I already have but just different lengths. Do you happen to know how long each side needs to be? I know getting the upper ss lines isn't a necessary upgrade, but at this point it's actually a must for me

-Xavier-

XMasta19Jun-15-06 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29451, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 8

Would there be anything wrong with just trying to get an ss line from the proportioning valve to the caliper on each side? Basically would be what I have now (10mm x 1 male and 10mm x 1 female), but just longer of course.

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-15-06 02:07 PM
8331 posts,
#29452, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 9

you could do that, cost would possibly be an issue and its male to male.

ModeratorxcasbonxJun-15-06 04:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#29455, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 10

Just so you know I rounded off one of these tonight trying to install my SS lines as well. I tried to get one off without a line wrench first...i know dumbass idea. I just used a larger sized pair of vise grips. Just make sure you get a good clamp on it and you should be able to get it off/on again.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1185

XMasta19Jun-15-06 06:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29456, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 10

Well thanks to Terry's help, I believe I've got it all sorted out. I managed to get the old stuff off last night, and am just trying to figure out what fittings/lines etc I need to get. The only real problem I'm coming across is the fact that I can't find a double flaring tool anywhere

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-15-06 10:42 PM
8331 posts,
#29457, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 12

i bought mine from snap on but i know summit racing carries them

XMasta19Jun-16-06 08:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29458, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 13

Ok, well I guess I'm going to just start over. My buddy says he's got the adaptor what not needed to make the double flares. I'm going to order the same lines as I have now just because I know the female ends are pretty stripped. -3 line, 10mm x 1 male and 10mm x 1 female end, 20".

Now the part I'm curious about is the fittings to get.
http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Speed-Seal-Steel
At the bottom of the page, Special Brake Hose Ends - Male. Do I get the 640303 or 640803? The difference is convex (inverted flare) or long concave

I'll cut off what's on there now. Take my new fittings, slide them up the line, do the double flare like it should, then seal the fittings and new ss lines together

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-16-06 08:15 PM
8331 posts,
#29464, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 14

X, i have no idea why you are looking at those hose ends. Those are used for makign your own lines from the hardline to the caliper. I am not going to try guessing what you have going now. In order for me to answwer your PM i want full pictures of everythign you have done. You are off on such a tangent i cant even figure out where you fell off track.

XMasta19Jun-18-06 01:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29476, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 15

Ok...now to get this all figured out. Here is the tangent that I somehow swerved way off onto.

I used a hardware store compression fitting or somethin to that sort. They didn't have anything in the 10mm x 1 size the ss line was originally threaded, but it got all stripped out trying to get it off the stock fitting anyways. I re-tapped them, put the new fitting on the hard line and re-flared it (single, unknowing of the double flare at the time), then put the ss line on. Of course this ghetto concoction of a fix still managed to leak.

So now I'm to the point of starting over. I want to drive my car this week...finally got it running great, and don't have any brakes I want to get new ss lines, same ones of course with one female and one male 10mm x 1 fittings. The fittings I had linked to were to go on the hardline just like a replacement of the factory ones that are all stripped beyond belief.

Does any of this makes sense now?
I would like to order my new stuff first thing in the morning, and have my car on the road before the end of the week. TIA!

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-19-06 01:00 AM
8331 posts,
#29482, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 16

I dont think that brake line is right, that is not the same one i got in the mail. I wonder if they sent you the wrong lines. The line i got fit like stock. That looks liek a reverse flare stainless line.

Terry

XMasta19Jun-23-06 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29511, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 17
Jun-23-06 05:34 PM by XMasta19

So I got my second set of new ss lines in the mail finally....and oh wait, they're not threading on the fittings correctly either. The threads on the fittings seem to be good up to the point where they were grabbed by the vise grips, but the ss line doesn't even make it that far on it. Maybe the threading is messed up and I just can't tell I have another set of the factory fittings on the way from a member on here, I guess I'll have to wait and see how they work.

EDIT: !!!!!!1 I just pulled the other ss line out of the box, and wtf both of my fittings thread in perfect. I have my 3rd defective brake line out of 4 or what

Try and follow this...

SS line #2: The male and female fittings thread into each other. The male fitting from line #1 threads in fine to the female fitting. The female fitting also accepts both of the stock hardline brake fittings.

SS line #1: The male and female fittings thread into each other and the female fitting has no problem taking the male fitting from line #2. BUT, for some reason both of the stock fittings get binded up after maybe 3 threads.

Wow, I'm having some of the best luck in the world right now. Not to mention my wife whom I've been separated from and recently working things out likes to get drunk and fuck her co-worker slash ex-fling

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-24-06 06:28 AM
8331 posts,
#29512, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 18

Got me pictures of the lines especially the female end and the inside of the female end as well. I want to make sure your not getting the wrong lines.

As far as your wife, X, I am so very sorry. That is so horrible.

Terry

XMasta19Jun-24-06 07:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29513, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 19

Yeah really sucks when you have two little boys involved in the whole dealio too. She's leaving and moving to california soon with the kids, and I get out of the Air Force and Alaska in December and headed to Florida...oh how my luck is never ending

Ok...not only do I suck at life, but I wasn't in camera man mode this morning.

You can see in the last pic how the fitting only threads in so far on ss line #1, yet the fitting in line #2 goes all the way to the point where the vise-grips grabbed it.

I really hope my fittings get here today. I thought they were sent out Express Mail so I went to complain yesterday at the post office since it's guaranteed...she ended up killing me in front of everyone there LOL, it was actually Priority Mail.

-Xavier-

XMasta19Jun-24-06 12:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29515, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 20

Go figure....the fittings did not arrive today

meh, getting used to having a car that actually runs, yet still not driving it

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-25-06 04:50 PM
8331 posts,
#29521, "RE: Upper hardline fitting rounded off...size??"
In response to Reply # 21

Thos elines look better than the last picture you had. They look like the sam eones i got so your good there. The fitting may not thread in all the way becasue the nut off your hardline may have crapped up threads. Try taking the nut that does thread all the way in and try to thread it in the other line.

Terry

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29430 Previous topic | Next topic