Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29346
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need help with suspension problem." Previous topic | Next topic
EclipsedOutMay-24-06 08:26 AM
Member since Mar 29th 2006
81 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29346, "Need help with suspension problem."

While driving my car it feels like its "fish-tailing", the ass end sways back and forth. It does not do this all the time just every once in a while.
I was using my foot to push on the tires and it kind of looked like something was moving on the right rear wheel. I jacked it up and pulled the wheel but everything seemed to be fine. The only thing I noticed was I was able to push the shock(strut)up pretty easy.

Anybody know what could cause this occasional "fish-tailing"??
Thanks for any help.

95 GSX
95 RS
96 GS (parts car)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Need help with suspension problem., wite96gs, May-24-06 08:39 AM, #1
RE: Need help with suspension problem., mcgyvr, May-24-06 08:39 AM, #2
RE: Need help with suspension problem., EclipsedOut, May-24-06 08:50 AM, #3
      RE: Need help with suspension problem., mcgyvr, May-24-06 09:56 AM, #4
           RE: Need help with suspension problem., EclipsedOut, May-24-06 01:02 PM, #5
                RE: Need help with suspension problem., goalie40, May-24-06 02:56 PM, #6
                RE: Need help with suspension problem., EclipsedOut, May-24-06 04:27 PM, #7
                RE: Need help with suspension problem., mcgyvr, May-25-06 04:17 AM, #8
                     RE: Need help with suspension problem., aivanne182, May-25-06 06:03 PM, #9
                          RE: Need help with suspension problem., Graph-X, Jul-29-06 03:28 AM, #10

wite96gsMay-24-06 08:39 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29347, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by EclipsedOut
.... The only thing I noticed was I was able to push the shock(strut)up pretty easy. Anybody know what could cause this occasional "fish-tailing"?? Thanks for any help.

shocks are probably dead, springs could be tired(doubtful), bushings could be worn out, sway bar end links could be broken. look over EVERYTHING back there.

-----------
the first solution that comes to mind for any new problem with my car usually involves a can of bad gas and a match...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mcgyvrMay-24-06 08:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#29348, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 0

Excessive TOE (mine is doing it too from really bad toe in)
Worn upper knuckle bushing (seems to be pretty common around here this month)

Do you have a rear sway bar?
Have you had an alignment lately?

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

EclipsedOutMay-24-06 08:50 AM
81 posts,
#29349, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by mcgyvr
Do you have a rear sway bar? Have you had an alignment lately?

Its my 95 RS, no sway bar and I no alignment. The tires are fine, no funny wear to them.

I'll check everything out better.

Thanks.

95 GSX
95 RS
96 GS (parts car)

mcgyvrMay-24-06 09:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#29350, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah check it out, but sounds to me like its time for an alignment

Mods are:
Not enough

EclipsedOutMay-24-06 01:02 PM
81 posts,
#29351, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 4

I think I found the problem.
The lower control arm is sliding back and forth on the bushing where it mounts to the suspension crossmember. Would that make the car feel like its fish-tailing once in a while??

95 GSX
95 RS
96 GS (parts car)

goalie40May-24-06 02:56 PM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#29352, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 5

When my car did the same thing it was my struts. New struts no problem.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

EclipsedOutMay-24-06 04:27 PM
81 posts,
#29353, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by goalie40
When my car did the same thing it was my struts. New struts no problem.

Did your car only do it once in a while??
I'm gonna try the bushing first if it still does it I will do the struts.
Thanks

95 GSX
95 RS
96 GS (parts car)

mcgyvrMay-25-06 04:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#29357, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by EclipsedOut
I think I found the problem. The lower control arm is sliding back and forth on the bushing where it mounts to the suspension crossmember. Would that make the car feel like its fish-tailing once in a while??

yep that would do it

Mods are:
Not enough

aivanne182May-25-06 06:03 PM
Member since Jul 24th 2005
94 posts,
#29358, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 8

I had issues with one of my rear suspension before.....looking at it and pushin it with your foot or whatever won't tell you what's wrong...think about the force applied while the cars runs...can't compare that to shaking the whole thing with your tiny muscles...j/k

Quit your job
Sell your car
Get on a plane
Surf and party
Fall in love
Never come back...

Graph-XJul-29-06 03:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2607 posts,
#29679, "RE: Need help with suspension problem."
In response to Reply # 9

May car just started doing this last night... God I love the search button!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29346 Previous topic | Next topic