Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29003
View in linear mode

Subject: "why do NEW tires attract nails?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezMar-22-06 01:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29003, "why do NEW tires attract nails?"

WTF I've had these yokohamas on my car for 5 days!!! Finally had enough money to get them after driving on bald tires for thousands of death-defying miles.

anybody know why? Gremlins? Does extra thick tread cause a nail to upright itself as I go over it? It is statistically improbable that I should get a nail in my tires within 1 week of driving them. Happens everytime. and then the next 50,000 miles are "nailless."

This time, I didn't buy a road hazard coupon when I bought the tires. When I looked at what the last set of road hazard warranties got me, it wasn't worth the money.

crap

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-22-06 08:46 PM, #1
RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-23-06 07:06 AM, #2
      RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, 95_ESi_Person, Mar-23-06 07:49 AM, #3
           RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, turbo8u, Mar-23-06 11:50 AM, #4
                RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, EclipseSix, Mar-25-06 06:11 AM, #5
                     RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, clips3kid, Mar-25-06 07:16 AM, #6
                          RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, ScreaminE, Mar-29-06 03:21 AM, #7
                               RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, CarbonFiberRST, Apr-03-06 11:23 AM, #8
                                    RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-03-06 02:43 PM, #9

95_ESi_PersonMar-22-06 08:46 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29012, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-22-06 08:48 PM by 95_ESi_Person

heh, this is where it pays when your roommate works at the walmart tire center and get's you the "free" service!

Yeah, I'm speaking about myself.

But I do know what you are talking about, my last set I got 2 screws in the same tire...

But as of yet, no nails, but 2 weeks after getting new tires I hopped a curb and cut deep into the sidewalls of the drivers side tires. That is not fixable (I had to get two more), nails are fixable (depending on location).

Make sure you don't scratch those rims, those are the absolute best wheels for our cars.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseTenzoRMar-23-06 07:06 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#29014, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 1

mods delete this post before this fool puts a jinx on all who read it. now im scared... FUCK!

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

95_ESi_PersonMar-23-06 07:49 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#29015, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-23-06 07:50 AM by 95_ESi_Person

you don't have to read posts if you don't want to.

Besides, stuff in tires is by random chance, sometimes it never occurs to someone in their whole life, others get it.

I usually get nails when the tread is low.

turbo8uMar-23-06 11:50 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#29017, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 3

same shit always happens to me. like on my potenzas now, ive been to lazy to plug it so i carry around a bike pump with a gauge on it and have to refill it to 40 every other day, lol...been doin that for oh, 9 months

sucks, but im gangsta like that. look like a freakin choad pumping up my tire like a kid with a bike, but it works

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

EclipseSixMar-25-06 06:11 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#29029, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-25-06 06:11 AM by EclipseSix

I've also had two nails in the same tire (yokohamas), but I think my chances were higher considering I worked part time at a hardware store

clips3kidMar-25-06 07:16 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2005
178 posts,
#29030, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 5

Seeing this post makes me... wonder. With my luck, I'll get in the car, drive home, park it in my driveway. Wake up next day w/ 3 flat and one deflating still. 17 nails in each tire. Only tires ive bought since i got my car were my snow tires... gotta buy some low pros for my 17"s soon tho

Stuff: Xbox, 7inch tft screen, 2 12inch infinity 1242w's, poweracoustic amp,pioneer HU, Tokico HP struts/springs, buddy club p1 perforance II plus 17inch wheels

ScreaminEMar-29-06 03:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#29057, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah when I finally, I mean finally got my new 17's and freshe spankin new tires that I had wanted for about 3 years, I had them for a week and had a nail go through one. It was awesome.

CarbonFiberRSTApr-03-06 11:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#29085, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 7

I had 5 nails in my driverside rear tire over a few months time. I just kept pluggin the holes. Shit was getting out of hand though.
I think that new tires tend to be sticker and the front tires are more capable of throwing up nails and w/e so that they can stick into the rear tires? I dunno, just wasting time during my matlab class...

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Moderatorcs82685Apr-03-06 02:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#29086, "RE: why do NEW tires attract nails?"
In response to Reply # 8

I just got one on the way home from work the other night. fortunately on the stock swirlies. My 17's are going back on this week

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29003 Previous topic | Next topic