Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28687
View in linear mode

Subject: "How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..." Previous topic | Next topic
95Eclipse302Feb-06-06 03:40 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2006
245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28687, "How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."

Hey is there anyway to check if a strut is bad before putting a spring on it? I want to check before I go through putting them on my car,

Thanks, Brandon

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..., bahhaha, Feb-07-06 11:24 AM, #1
RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..., T_K, Feb-07-06 12:27 PM, #2
      RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..., 95Eclipse302, Feb-07-06 05:49 PM, #3
           RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..., gramozeka, Feb-08-06 06:02 AM, #4
                RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..., 95Eclipse302, Feb-08-06 06:05 AM, #5
                     RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..., gramozeka, Feb-08-06 06:27 AM, #6

bahhahaFeb-07-06 11:24 AM
Member since Jan 20th 2006
58 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28699, "RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."
In response to Reply # 0

ummmm, just try to compress it by hand... if you can its no good

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

T_KFeb-07-06 12:27 PM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#28702, "RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."
In response to Reply # 1

I don't think so, my illuminas could be slowly compressed by hand even at setting 5 but they work fine @ all settings I've tried when on the car. The thing is that after you compress them they go back out all the way.

A dead strut I think would be easy to compress and would stay compressed and wouldn't move back. That's what my dead stockers were like when I took them out.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

95Eclipse302Feb-07-06 05:49 PM
245 posts,
#28707, "RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."
In response to Reply # 2

well I have 4 stock ones off the car and 4 on the car. Ones on the car seem fine but I wanna test my old ones also..well i pushed one in and it was not easy to get in. It had a lot of pressure along with no leaks. But it didn not come back out by itself. So is it bad?

Thanks, Brandon

gramozekaFeb-08-06 06:02 AM
Member since Aug 16th 2005
327 posts,
#28710, "RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."
In response to Reply # 3

I think it means that it is still usable but it is on its way already.

Struts have oil and gas in them the gas is there to prevent oil form bubbling when going over lot's of bumps. Gas under pressure is what makes the shock expand when it's new. If the shock still has resistance but does not come up by itself it means that it is still operational but there is not much gas left in there. If you are working it hard (going fast on a long bumpy road) it will loose it's damping abilities quicker than a shock that still has a lots of gas inside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98 Stock Talon ESi
Mods: New spark Plugs NGK, Fresh ATF, K&N, AGX, UDP and ZipTies tieing the strut towers (according to BlackMagic increases my torsional rigidity)
I know spark plugs are not a mod but the car runs so smooth now.

95Eclipse302Feb-08-06 06:05 AM
245 posts,
#28711, "RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."
In response to Reply # 4

ok so how long will it last like this on average?

Thanks, Brandon

gramozekaFeb-08-06 06:27 AM
Member since Aug 16th 2005
327 posts,
#28712, "RE: How can you tell if a strut is bad b4 install..."
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-08-06 06:30 AM by gramozeka

it's anyone’s guess. But the point is that it is already not performing up to the standards and it won't keep it damping abilities for long which potentially puts you in danger. But if the driving takes place on smooth surfaces most of the time u can drive it until it will start leaking. That is what most people do anyway. It will be wearing out your suspension components faster not to mention it can potentially endanger your life.

I say you can keep them as spare parts if you just need to get buy until god shocks will arrive in the mail.

when I did mine I threw them out cuz I didn't have any place to keep them. and at 83k miles they had resistance and were not expanding by themselves. One rear one leaked and it had not resistance what so ever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98 Stock Talon ESi
Mods: New spark Plugs NGK, Fresh ATF, K&N, AGX, UDP and ZipTies tieing the strut towers (according to BlackMagic increases my torsional rigidity)
I know spark plugs are not a mod but the car runs so smooth now.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28687 Previous topic | Next topic