Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28552
View in linear mode

Subject: "Popping noise under hard braking" Previous topic | Next topic
95_ESi_PersonJan-18-06 11:04 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28552, "Popping noise under hard braking"

Yesterday I had to get on the brakes pretty hard because of some old lady pulling out in front of me. But when I did I heard 2 distinct popping noises from the front of the car. One left, one right (side).

They were in very close succession with one another.

I'm wondering what this sound could be.

Can brake pads shift in the caliper? Calipers are torqued correctly, same with the caliper mounting brackets.

What should I be looking for here?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Popping noise under hard braking, 95_ESi_Person, Jan-19-06 08:38 AM, #1
RE: Popping noise under hard braking, Hamgumball, Jan-19-06 09:36 AM, #2
      RE: Popping noise under hard braking, 95_ESi_Person, Jan-19-06 10:39 AM, #3
           RE: Popping noise under hard braking, HadesOmega, Jan-19-06 09:46 PM, #4
                RE: Popping noise under hard braking, Blk95GS, Jan-21-06 05:04 AM, #5
                     RE: Popping noise under hard braking, 95_ESi_Person, Jan-21-06 08:49 AM, #6

95_ESi_PersonJan-19-06 08:38 AM
3260 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28557, "RE: Popping noise under hard braking"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok, since nobody replied, I'll add some more details now that I can think more clearly.

You know the sound you get when you engage your e-brake while driving? It's like a clunk/pop noise.

It sounds to me like something is actually shifting where it should be stationary on the chassis or brakes. Everything is tight, could it be bushings?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HamgumballJan-19-06 09:36 AM
Member since Oct 27th 2002
419 posts,
#28558, "RE: Popping noise under hard braking"
In response to Reply # 1

Your car lowered? Maybe its your upper control arms bumping up against the body? Just an idea for you.

I wish you a smooth break-in and happy driving.

Mod lists here:
http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1065

95_ESi_PersonJan-19-06 10:39 AM
3260 posts,
#28559, "RE: Popping noise under hard braking"
In response to Reply # 2

Unfortunately, the car is at factory height.

HadesOmegaJan-19-06 09:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#28563, "RE: Popping noise under hard braking"
In response to Reply # 3

has your car ever been in a collision? Mine needed to be straightened in the front and ever since I get clunks and clanks and stuff whenever I turn the steering wheel hard or brake hard.

if you think its some lose suspension part just get a wrench and start torq'in

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Blk95GSJan-21-06 05:04 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2002
214 posts,
#28565, "RE: Popping noise under hard braking"
In response to Reply # 4

sway bar links?

95_ESi_PersonJan-21-06 08:49 AM
3260 posts,
#28566, "RE: Popping noise under hard braking"
In response to Reply # 5

No collisions that would affect the front of the car.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be going out with a torque wrench sometime.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28552 Previous topic | Next topic