Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28005
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?" Previous topic | Next topic
Blk95GSSep-26-05 05:46 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2002
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28005, "Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"

I've been weary of this since I put them on, but I've never heard of anyone snapping the bolts while driving. If they have broken, how far out did you space the bracket? Also, if you used hardware other than that specified in the $15 mod write-up, let it be known.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, mcgyvr, Sep-26-05 06:04 AM, #1
RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, Blk95GS, Sep-26-05 06:26 AM, #2
      RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, mcgyvr, Sep-26-05 10:35 AM, #3
           RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, dsmmyth, Sep-26-05 06:07 PM, #4
                RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, wite96gs, Sep-27-05 05:33 AM, #5
                     RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, mcgyvr, Sep-27-05 06:29 AM, #6
                          RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, WickedESi, Sep-27-05 06:49 AM, #7
                               RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, mcgyvr, Sep-30-05 01:19 AM, #8
                                    RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, totaleklipse97, Sep-30-05 08:10 PM, #9
                                         RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, Blizare, Oct-02-05 08:10 AM, #10
                                              RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, Ryan_Hes, Oct-02-05 11:02 AM, #11
                                              RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, totaleklipse97, Oct-02-05 04:15 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, bedlam32570, Oct-11-05 11:03 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, racinfast002, Oct-17-05 06:42 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, TeamDR1665, Oct-18-05 06:06 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, djtrickee, Oct-18-05 06:08 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?, TeamDR1665, Oct-18-05 08:26 AM, #17

mcgyvrSep-26-05 06:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28006, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 0

mine are fine and I used grade 8 bolts.
its 4 bolts they will be fine esp. if you got grade 10 bolts.

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Blk95GSSep-26-05 06:26 AM
Member since Jan 22nd 2002
214 posts,
#28007, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-26-05 06:36 AM by Blk95GS

Yeah, I'm on grade 8 bolts as well with 11 fender washers under each bolt. The washers I used are fairly thin, so 11 isn't as much as it sounds, but still, I believe it's the weakest link in my suspension. They haven't given me a problem, yet.
edit: My brackets are roughly 3/4" away from body at all contacts with a suspension drop of 2". Is this on par with you guys?
Travis

mcgyvrSep-26-05 10:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#28012, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 2

thats about right

Mods are:
Not enough

dsmmythSep-26-05 06:07 PM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#28016, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 3

On a side note, where do you get the bolts? I've been looking FOREVER.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

wite96gsSep-27-05 05:33 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
365 posts,
#28017, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 4

I bought mine from fastenal, I had to buy a whole box of them, still have PLENTY left over. Ever try NAPA?

----------
the first solution that comes to mind for any new problem with my car usually involves a can of gas and a match....

mcgyvrSep-27-05 06:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#28018, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 5

mcmaster.com about 15-20 bucks gets you enough bolts for 5 or so camber kits.

Mods are:
Not enough

WickedESiSep-27-05 06:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#28019, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 6

I wouldn't chance it.

That's why I got the $25 Ingalls camber kit.

Exceeds grade 10.9....nuff said.

Details: http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=6&topic_id=18406&mesg_id=18406&listing_type=search

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

mcgyvrSep-30-05 01:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#28032, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 7

bah humbug, the 15 dollar camber mod is the same as the ingalls and is plenty strong and has been proven by MANY,MANY people to work. Ive never heard a single problem about the rear camber mod.

Mods are:
Not enough

totaleklipse97Sep-30-05 08:10 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#28038, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by mcgyvr
bah humbug, the 15 dollar camber mod is the same as the ingalls and is plenty strong and has been proven by MANY,MANY people to work. Ive never heard a single problem about the rear camber mod.

Well it may be sufficient for the average car.. yes. I personally don't feel comfortable with 8.4 or so grade bolts in my rear suspension. I want to build this car for roadraces and autoX.
I live in a small town and finding 10+ grade metric bolts is like finding a piston and crank for a Rx7. Over time the "$15 camber mod" has creeped upwards to "$20 dollar camber mod". That is despite the fact that you are spending $10+ on gas trying to find these bolts. Without the resources here(2gnt), even then, finding the correct bolts online was a hefty challenge. Spending $25 and the piece of mind that the bolts are more than sufficient is fine with me. Not to mention the lack of headaches associated with finding the right size metric bolts in Shittown,IN. (just my opinion on the ingalls)

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

BlizareOct-02-05 08:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#28042, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by totaleklipse97
is like finding a piston and crank for a Rx7.

HAHA......your joking right

But yea, I have never had any problems with my $5 camber kit.

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

Ryan_HesOct-02-05 11:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#28043, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 10

Grade 8 only. Youll be ok

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

totaleklipse97Oct-02-05 04:15 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#28045, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Blizare
Originally posted by totaleklipse97 is like finding a piston and crank for a Rx7.
HAHA......your joking right But yea, I have never had any problems with my $5 camber kit.

yes, that was obviously a joke..

I feel much better knowing my bolts are 10.9 grade. For $25 you really can't complain. I want to make this an auto-x car and suspension is put to the test 100%. I want it to hold up and not give becuase i skimped out on a camber kit.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

bedlam32570Oct-11-05 11:03 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
1240 posts,
#28112, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 12

grade 8 for 5 years now and I haven't had a problem. Running a 2.25 drop too so....if that's anything to say for that. The road here are pretty messed up so any autox you do can't be the amount of punishment that I've had to deal with here.

racinfast002Oct-17-05 06:42 PM
Member since Jun 05th 2004
35 posts,
#28142, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 13

well just wanted to let you guys know that I cut corners when doing this mod and put grade 2 (regular) bolts in my rear end. I couldnt find the grade 8 so thats the main reason. Anyway, after rolling my 2gnt and landing on its roof, we had to get it back over to get it on the tow rig. So when they rolled it back over and all the weight of the car came crashing down on that one side, none of those bolts even bent/sheared. So if you got grade 8 you are definately ok imo

TeamDR1665Oct-18-05 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#28146, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by racinfast002
Just wanted to share that half-assed my shit, then flipped my shit and my half-ass job seemed to hold, so you should probably be okay.

Corrected.

After reading this thread, I have had my doubts confirmed as to whether or not I should have added more washers when I did the, now, $25 camber mod. Right now, I have the exact set up specified in the write up. I imagine I could go with longer mains and a few more washers, but that would probably turn this into a $50 mod and that's a lot of hardware. I'll see how long the cheap-o tires on the rear last.

I knew exactly where to go. www.copperstate.com/ here in Phoenix. Walked right up to the counter, 2GNT print out in hand, and they took it from there. Guy even told me he thought that was a pretty neat idea.

djtrickeeOct-18-05 06:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#28147, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by DR1665
After reading this thread, I have had my doubts confirmed as to whether or not I should have added more washers when I did the, now, $25 camber mod. Right now, I have the exact set up specified in the write up. I imagine I could go with longer mains and a few more washers, but that would probably turn this into a $50 mod and that's a lot of hardware. I'll see how long the cheap-o tires on the rear last. I knew exactly where to go. www.copperstate.com/ here in Phoenix. Walked right up to the counter, 2GNT print out in hand, and they took it from there. Guy even told me he thought that was a pretty neat idea.

Yawn.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

TeamDR1665Oct-18-05 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#28148, "RE: Anyone broken their $15 Camber Mod Bolts?"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by djtrickee
Yawn.

Burp.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28005 Previous topic | Next topic