Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27440
View in linear mode

Subject: "desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT" Previous topic | Next topic
jsupetranJun-30-05 10:42 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27440, "desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"

Okay guys, the new brake pads are about twice as thick as my old pads and can't fit!

I called pepboys to see if they gave me the right part and they said that yes, based on the part numbers, they should work. The pads can seat inside the bracket, but when I swing the caliper down, the caliper won't fit since the pads are too thick.

Do you think I should push the piston back down more with the C-clamp?

New Car:
2004 350z base, Nismo CAI, pioneer avic-n1 (dvd, cd, navi)

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, 420a-Tnthewerks, Jun-30-05 10:47 AM, #1
RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, jsupetran, Jun-30-05 11:03 AM, #2
      RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, djtrickee, Jun-30-05 11:07 AM, #3
           RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, jsupetran, Jun-30-05 11:09 AM, #4
                RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, MCubed45, Jun-30-05 03:15 PM, #5
                     RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, jsupetran, Jun-30-05 06:16 PM, #6
                          RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, djtrickee, Jun-30-05 07:25 PM, #7
                               RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 08:27 AM, #8
                                    RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, .bs0d, Jul-01-05 09:48 AM, #9
                                         RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, totaleclipse_05, Jul-01-05 02:24 PM, #10
                                              RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, jsupetran, Jul-01-05 06:12 PM, #11
                                                   RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, Kaoz78, Jul-09-05 09:44 AM, #12
                                                        RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, eclipse7782, Aug-01-05 12:41 PM, #13
                                                             RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-02-05 07:04 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, MCubed45, Aug-02-05 09:13 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-02-05 10:12 AM, #16
                                                                            RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, dmt111701, Aug-02-05 04:41 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-03-05 06:57 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT, ez, Aug-05-05 09:41 AM, #19

420a-TnthewerksJun-30-05 10:47 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27441, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-30-05 10:51 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

You have to take like a c-clamp and clamp the piston down until it's all the way down.

edit- if that makes any sense.

c-clamp:

You'll see a round cylinder(piston) on the inside of the caliper where the pad goes. Put the c clamp over it and the caliper. Start tighting the c clamp until the piston is all the way down.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

jsupetranJun-30-05 11:03 AM
4359 posts,
#27443, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks man. Okay, so I am going to try this but need some extra clarification. Should I let the caliper stay with the rotor and it's bolted on there, or should I take the caliper off, then put the c-clamp on there?

New Car:

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

djtrickeeJun-30-05 11:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#27444, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by jsupetran
Thanks man. Okay, so I am going to try this but need some extra clarification. Should I let the caliper stay with the rotor and it's bolted on there, or should I take the caliper off, then put the c-clamp on there?

It doesnt matter. Think about the original question for a second. When you use the brakes the pads get worn down, therefore getting thinner and thinner as time goes by. The pistons have to extend further to keep the pad at the minimum distance to the rotor. When you release your foot off the brake pedal it doesnt pull the pads back into the caliper. They are still within fractions of an inch from the rotor. Therefore as the pads wear down, the pistons have to extend further and further out to keep the pad at the rotor. Is this making sense? When you get new pads that are the original thickness the piston must be returned to its starting point to allow for the thickness.

I can't believe I just typed all that.

Oh and by the way there is some dude in the General forum posting a very similar question... pointing to a similar question... or something like that.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

jsupetranJun-30-05 11:09 AM
4359 posts,
#27445, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 3

Okay cool thanks you thank you thank you. This is actually for my mom's pt cruiser and I've never done this before.

New Car:

Old Car:
Boostin since Aug 03.

MCubed45Jun-30-05 03:15 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#27449, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 4

lol i would hope your new pads are thicker than the old ones. if not you just got ripped off. but yea you hafta press the pistons in quite a bit. it's more of a pain with dual piston calipers like the GSX ones b/c they tend to push the one you're not working on out. unless you just use two clamps at once.

oh and you don't need to take the caliper off the brackets. just take off one bolt and swing it out.

-marc

jsupetranJun-30-05 06:16 PM
4359 posts,
#27451, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-30-05 06:18 PM by jsupetran

Yeah got it done and mom = happy. You guys were right!

Brake shop charge 300+.
Me doing it. 100=Priceless.

New Car:

Old Car:
Boostin since Aug 03.

djtrickeeJun-30-05 07:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#27452, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by jsupetran
Yeah got it done and mom = happy. You guys were right! Brake shop charge 300+. Me doing it. 100=Priceless.

You doing it = broken.

You doing it with help from the helpful people at 2GNT = Priceless

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

TeamDR1665Jul-01-05 08:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#27456, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by djtrickee
You doing it = broken.

Ain't that the truth!

.bs0dJul-01-05 09:48 AM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#27457, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 8

you can push it in with your hands if you loosen up the brake bleeder --push it all the way in, brake fluid squirts out.

btw; you remember to bleed the brakes afterwards, right?

totaleclipse_05Jul-01-05 02:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#27461, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 9

you shouldnt need to bleed the brakes after changing just the pads should u? i know i have changed brakes on a couple integras and another eclipse and never had to do that and they worked just fine.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

jsupetranJul-01-05 06:12 PM
4359 posts,
#27462, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
you shouldnt need to bleed the brakes after changing just the pads should u? i know i have changed brakes on a couple integras and another eclipse and never had to do that and they worked just fine.

Yeah as long as you don't disconnect the brake lines and they are exposed to air. My mom's brake are working great btw. No squeeking or anything.

New Car:

Old Car:
Boostin since Aug 03.

Kaoz78Jul-09-05 09:44 AM
Member since Dec 20th 2003
407 posts,
#27518, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 11

I personally just break the bleeder loose real quick and then re-tighten it. I have done brake jobs on several cars this way and never had any air in the lines.

Originally posted by silverarrow
I never said I was going to run 13s with my car with nothing but a sack of rice.

eclipse7782Aug-01-05 12:41 PM
Member since Dec 14th 2004
215 posts,
#27685, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 12

Congradulations you just let air into the line. You dont have to bleed the brakes unless u disconnect the brake line or open the bleed screw. If when you opened the bleed screw brake fluid didnt come shooting out u just let air into the brake line. And the only way for fluid to come shooting out is unless someone else is holding down the brake pedal when you open the bleed screw.

Ducking_FumbassAug-02-05 07:04 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#27687, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 13

Actually, if the piston(s) is/are being compressed, fluid will come out.

Congratulations, you just gave bad information.

MCubed45Aug-02-05 09:13 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#27688, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 14

it's prolly not the best to open the bleed screw while changing pads since your calipers most likely positioned such that the screw is not the highest point on the caliper. the caliper gets flipped upside down when you swing it out so you can compress the pistons. this puts the screw at the bottom. i'm sure you can figure out why this is a bad time to open it.

-marc

Ducking_FumbassAug-02-05 10:12 AM
1147 posts,
#27689, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 15

Still, if the pressure in the caliper cylinder is higher than atmospheric, it will not matter which way is up, unless you are trying to get air out of the cylinder.

dmt111701Aug-02-05 04:41 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2004
130 posts,
#27691, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 16

opening the bleeder is the only way to correctly compress a caliper

Ducking_FumbassAug-03-05 06:57 AM
1147 posts,
#27697, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 17

No, a C clamp works just fine, too.

I just like opening the bleeder better. Just make sure that you open it as you are pushing on the piston, and close it while you are pushing on the piston. Failure to do so can introduce air into the system.

ezAug-05-05 09:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#27711, "RE: desperate need for advice: New brake pads too thick, CAN'T FIT"
In response to Reply # 18

yea, use C-clamps. I am an idiot and like to use my hands instead to push the piston in. it makes a man out of you tho'

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27440 Previous topic | Next topic