Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27262
View in linear mode

Subject: "GTO Caliper Fitment?" Previous topic | Next topic
foggy45Jun-09-05 06:25 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27262, "GTO Caliper Fitment?"

anybody know if the calipers from a mitsubishi GTO will fit our car?
engine code is 6g72 so its the same as the 3kgt. chassis code is z16a if that matters.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7979893049&category=42605

thanks in advance

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-09-05 06:29 PM, #1
RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, foggy45, Jun-09-05 06:41 PM, #2
      RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-10-05 03:53 AM, #3
           RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-10-05 05:23 AM, #4
                RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, foggy45, Jun-10-05 10:29 AM, #5
                RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-10-05 10:55 AM, #6
                RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, turbo8u, Jun-10-05 11:51 AM, #7
                     RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-10-05 01:28 PM, #8
                     RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, prop7459, Jun-10-05 01:38 PM, #9
                          RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, foggy45, Jun-10-05 02:07 PM, #10
                          RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, thedawg, Jun-10-05 06:12 PM, #11
                               RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-10-05 08:45 PM, #12
                               RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-11-05 07:40 PM, #13
                                    RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, foggy45, Jun-11-05 09:11 PM, #14
                                    RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-12-05 12:01 AM, #15
                                    RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, foggy45, Jun-12-05 07:08 AM, #16
                                         RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-12-05 08:42 AM, #17
                                    RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, thedawg, Jun-17-05 11:17 AM, #18
                                         RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-17-05 11:23 AM, #19
                                              RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, MCubed45, Jun-17-05 06:03 PM, #20
                                                   RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-18-05 07:03 PM, #21
                                                   RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, MCubed45, Jun-20-05 10:19 AM, #22
                                                        RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-20-05 10:31 AM, #23
                                                             RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, thedawg, Jun-21-05 06:42 AM, #24
                                                                  RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-21-05 04:46 PM, #25
                                                                       RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-22-05 10:38 AM, #26
                                                                            RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-22-05 10:47 AM, #27
                                                                                 RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-24-05 02:28 AM, #28
                                                                                      RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-24-05 04:13 AM, #29
                                                                                           RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-24-05 06:58 AM, #30
                                                                                                RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, 97whitESi, Jun-24-05 07:18 AM, #31
                                                                                                RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-24-05 08:48 AM, #32
                                                                                                RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, BumpinTalon, Jun-24-05 09:35 AM, #33
                                                                                                     RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?, Ducking_Fumbass, Jun-24-05 02:40 PM, #34

EclipseTenzoRJun-09-05 06:29 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27263, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 0

you will probably need special brackets to mount them on. Are they 2 or 4 piston?

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

foggy45Jun-09-05 06:41 PM
1032 posts,
#27264, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 1

they look like 4 piston. course i have no idea what to use for rotors. LOL!

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

Ducking_FumbassJun-10-05 03:53 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#27266, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 2

Are you referring to the turbo or the nonturbo 3000GT?

BumpinTalonJun-10-05 05:23 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#27267, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 3

they make brackets, intented to convert 3000GT non-turbo cars' brakes to the twin turbo cars' brakes. those same brackets can be used on DSMs to fit those calipers onto our car, so then you get absolutely gigantic brakes for not that much money. 12.5" rotors up front with really nice calipers I think the rears are 11.7" but I'm not sure.

I haven't been able to find the brackets again, but I do know they exit you will definitely need a certain kind of rim to fit those brakes, though, I think it was FlyinESi that said his HP Racing Evos wouldn't clear the calipers on his friend's Stealth RT.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

foggy45Jun-10-05 10:29 AM
1032 posts,
#27268, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 4

yea i found them! there out of stock though. we'll see if i get the calipers for a reasonable price.

http://www.electronicauto.com/products/2gttbrakeconversion/brackets.htm

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

BumpinTalonJun-10-05 10:55 AM
2381 posts,
#27269, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 5

there are guys on dsmtuners who got even bigger brakes on there... 13.1" with the same calipers! they made their own adaptor brackets though.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

turbo8uJun-10-05 11:51 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#27270, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
they make brackets, intented to convert 3000GT non-turbo cars' brakes to the twin turbo cars' brakes. those same brackets can be used on DSMs to fit those calipers onto our car, so then you get absolutely gigantic brakes for not that much money. 12.5" rotors up front with really nice calipers I think the rears are 11.7" but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find the brackets again, but I do know they exit you will definitely need a certain kind of rim to fit those brakes, though, I think it was FlyinESi that said his HP Racing Evos wouldn't clear the calipers on his friend's Stealth RT.

you realize hwo many people have tried this and failed?

it doesnt fit

a guy on neons.org was selling kits for awhile, but yea...you need custom mounting brackets to get the 3kgt vr-4 calipers to work on a 2g.

BumpinTalonJun-10-05 01:28 PM
2381 posts,
#27271, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by turbo8u
Originally posted by BumpinTalon they make brackets, intented to convert 3000GT non-turbo cars' brakes to the twin turbo cars' brakes. those same brackets can be used on DSMs to fit those calipers onto our car, so then you get absolutely gigantic brakes for not that much money. 12.5" rotors up front with really nice calipers I think the rears are 11.7" but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find the brackets again, but I do know they exit you will definitely need a certain kind of rim to fit those brakes, though, I think it was FlyinESi that said his HP Racing Evos wouldn't clear the calipers on his friend's Stealth RT.
you realize hwo many people have tried this and failed? it doesnt fit a guy on neons.org was selling kits for awhile, but yea...you need custom mounting brackets to get the 3kgt vr-4 calipers to work on a 2g.

then you can make your own brackets and use even bigger brakes.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184965&highlight=3000gt+brakes

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

prop7459Jun-10-05 01:38 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2004
139 posts,
#27272, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 7

Not only the brackets you will have to get but also at least 8.5 wide rims (forgot the offset) for clearance for the caliper since that the VR4 rim width. For the neon guy I do not think you can go wider than 8" without doing some serious modifications. If we can use the 3KGT NT guys calipers and 3KGT NT can use the VR4 calipers besides the brackets how this setup would not work for u . Correct if I'm wrong on this?:

foggy45Jun-10-05 02:07 PM
1032 posts,
#27273, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 9

exactly what i was thinking bro!

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

thedawgJun-10-05 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#27274, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by prop7459
We can use the 3KGT NT guys calipers and 3KGT NT can use the VR4 calipers besides the brackets
how this setup would not work for u . Correct if I'm wrong on this?:

You're wrong on this. You need special brackets, special wheel spacers, and special wheels. The brackets have to be custom made, and rarely work right.

Don't bother wasting your time, it'd be better spent making adapter brackets for Corvette calipers, or buying 6-pot Wilwoods made specifically for our cars.

Ducking_FumbassJun-10-05 08:45 PM
1147 posts,
#27275, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by thedawg
Don't bother wasting your time, it'd be better spent making adapter brackets for Corvette calipers, or buying 6-pot Wilwoods made specifically for our cars.

But... but... but... those don't say "MITSUBISHI" on them! WAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAH!

BumpinTalonJun-11-05 07:40 PM
2381 posts,
#27278, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by prop7459 We can use the 3KGT NT guys calipers and 3KGT NT can use the VR4 calipers besides the brackets how this setup would not work for u . Correct if I'm wrong on this?:
You're wrong on this. You need special brackets, special wheel spacers, and special wheels. The brackets have to be custom made, and rarely work right. Don't bother wasting your time, it'd be better spent making adapter brackets for Corvette calipers, or buying 6-pot Wilwoods made specifically for our cars.

its this kind of attitude that prevents new and exciting things from getting done...

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

foggy45Jun-11-05 09:11 PM
1032 posts,
#27279, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 13

with 2 CNC Bridgport clone milling machines and a CNC lathe in my garage i dont think i will have a problem with the brackets or the spacers. and i will definatly make a CAD copy and diagram of anything fabricated from this project avaliable to all who want it.
now i just have to get calipers. . . .

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

Ducking_FumbassJun-12-05 12:01 AM
1147 posts,
#27280, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"

Originally posted by prop7459 We can use the 3KGT NT guys calipers and 3KGT NT can use the VR4 calipers besides the brackets how this setup would not work for u . Correct if I'm wrong on this?:
You're wrong on this. You need special brackets, special wheel spacers, and special wheels. The brackets have to be custom made, and rarely work right. Don't bother wasting your time, it'd be better spent making adapter brackets for Corvette calipers, or buying 6-pot Wilwoods made specifically for our cars.
its this kind of attitude that prevents new and exciting things from getting done...

Prevents new and exciting things from getting done? I think that Corvette brakes are pretty exciting...

foggy45Jun-12-05 07:08 AM
1032 posts,
#27282, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 15

you mean some like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33563&item=7978942435&rd=1

now THAT would be exciting and new!

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

Ducking_FumbassJun-12-05 08:42 AM
1147 posts,
#27283, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 16

I can just see the airbags deploying on a hard brake...

thedawgJun-17-05 11:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#27314, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"

It's not an attitude, nor even an opinion. I'm stating simple facts.
Have you looked at what sort of clamping pressure and load distribution the 3kgt 4-pot (1989 design) gets you over the Wilwood 6-pot (2004 design)? Or even how little of a gain they give you over the 2-pot GSX calipers? Have you seen two different people have custom 3kgt caliper brackets fail within a month, after in the end spending twice the price of a wilwood kit?

I've ridden in a 2gnt with 6-pot wilwood fronts, and 4-pot wilwood rears. There's simply no reason, for the money, to do anything else if you're serious about stopping.

If your idea of new and exciting is killing yourself from hokey-ass homemade shit, by all means, go for it. Break a leg.

Ducking_FumbassJun-17-05 11:23 AM
1147 posts,
#27315, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 18

Well, it would be nice to get rid of those goddamned floating pin calipers and replace them with some kind of a fixed caliper. The reduction in compliance alone is worth it.

That being said, at least do it smartly.

MCubed45Jun-17-05 06:03 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#27316, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 19
Jun-17-05 06:11 PM by MCubed45

i can lock my wheels with my GSX calipers. the only reason to get anything bigger would be for better head disappation if you auto X. the fact that you cant tap your brake pedal and lock your wheels does NOT mean you have more stopping power. stopping power is measured in the DISTANCE it takes your car to stop. if you can already lock your wheels then the weak point in your braking system is TRACTION - not the brakes.

have you even taken into consideration the braking distribution? if you can lock up your fronts long before your rears you've actually made your braking WORSE. in an ideal system you want all 4 wheels on the verge of locking up to get the maximum stopping potential. that's what ABS does. it keeps the wheels on the verge of locking. using brakes not intended for your car really fucks up your ABS system as well. it isn't made to compensate for the different calipers. additionally if you can easily lock up your wheels with minimal pedal travel you've also DECREASED the range within which the ABS system can modulate. instead of a wide range from minimal to maximum braking you now have OFF and ON. that's bad.

a lot of big brake kits make people think they've drastically improved their braking power b/c after they're installed they can lock their wheels with minimal pedal travel. all you've really done is decrease the operational range of your brake pedal. with your old brakes you could probably lock your wheels by flooring the brake pedal. now it locks when you push it say - half way down. your brake pedal now has half the operational range. your braking hasn't really improved at all. in fact with a lot of big brake kits you'll actually find an INCREASED stopping distance. but most people never compare their stopping distance - they just go by how the brake pedal feels. which tells you absolutely nothing.

-marc

Ducking_FumbassJun-18-05 07:03 PM
1147 posts,
#27321, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 20

The cruelty of it all is that when you make the front brakes less effective, you require less braking in the back, because of forward weight transfer.

I think that in this case, the only difference (between the GSX setup and the VR-4 setup) is rotor size, and caliper stiffness. For all intents and purposes, the caliper stiffness is irrelevant for everything, except for pedal feel.

The difference in rotor size, however, is about an inch. I think that a car with a VR-4 brake setup would enough extra weight transfer forward that the stock rear brakes would be sufficient. If not, go for a good solution, and get a proportioning valve.

Stock brakes are hideously forward-biased anyways. It is better, for most drivers, to lock up the fronts first. If you don't believe me, crank on your parking brake on the highway and see what happens.

It all comes down to tires, though. What can your tires handle for longitudinal acceleration?

MCubed45Jun-20-05 10:19 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#27331, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 20
Jun-20-05 10:19 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by MCubed45
the only reason to get anything bigger would be for better head disappation if you auto X.

haha i meant "better HEAT"

freudian slip i guess

-marc

BumpinTalonJun-20-05 10:31 AM
2381 posts,
#27333, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 22

honestly auto-x is kind of taxing on your brakes, but the top speed I could ever expect to see is maybe 85km/h on the slalom section... fade is not an issue here. stock slotted rotors with half decent pads would work just fine.
its in road course racing where big brakes really shine.. also think that by the time you have decided to go nuts on brakes, you are probably a track whore and try and fit in laps wherever you can and you probably already own racing tires that have much much higher traction limits then street tires do and therefore can actually take advantage of the huge amount of braking force your brakes can generate.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

thedawgJun-21-05 06:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#27343, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by BumpinTalonits in road course racing where big brakes really shine.. and you have much much higher traction limits then street tires do and therefore can actually take advantage of the huge amount of braking force your brakes can generate.

And sometimes, in the battle of Road Course Track vs. Sticky Tires and Big Brakes...
the Track still wins.

BumpinTalonJun-21-05 04:46 PM
2381 posts,
#27352, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by BumpinTalonits in road course racing where big brakes really shine.. and you have much much higher traction limits then street tires do and therefore can actually take advantage of the huge amount of braking force your brakes can generate.
And sometimes, in the battle of Road Course Track vs. Sticky Tires and Big Brakes... the Track still wins.

OUCH
that sucks
our road course, in the dry, owns any tire.. too much VHT and rubber on it since there is a chicane on what they usually use as a drag strip.. it eats everything that doesn't move in straight lines

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Ducking_FumbassJun-22-05 10:38 AM
1147 posts,
#27355, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 25

chicane on what they usually use as a drag strip

EEP!

Who thought that was a good idea?

<shudder>

<collapse>

BumpinTalonJun-22-05 10:47 AM
2381 posts,
#27356, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 26

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
Originally posted by BumpinTalon chicane on what they usually use as a drag strip
EEP! Who thought that was a good idea? <shudder> <collapse>

it is an extremely long straight... the hobbyist guys who do trackdays use the chicane, the guys in real race cars do not.. the real race cars can hit 180mph on that straight

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Ducking_FumbassJun-24-05 02:28 AM
1147 posts,
#27384, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 27

Sounds like fun. I'm working on a formula first right now. It could probably hit 60 or so on that straightaway.

BumpinTalonJun-24-05 04:13 AM
2381 posts,
#27385, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 28

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
Sounds like fun. I'm working on a formula first right now. It could probably hit 60 or so on that straightaway.

right on. personally I believe my car would have trouble getting to 90 on that straight.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Ducking_FumbassJun-24-05 06:58 AM
1147 posts,
#27386, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 29

If it's a long enough sraight to run a drag race on, I'd be willing to bet that the FFirst would get up to more than 60MPH. It has an equivilant power to weight ratio to a 3100 lb. car with ~215HP, but the aerodynamics are better (smaller frontal section).

Which track are you referring to, if I may ask? I mightneed to take this formula out there and see for myself.

97whitESiJun-24-05 07:18 AM
Member since Mar 17th 2004
1334 posts,
#27387, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 30

back on topic, dont mitsu diamante brakes bolt right up? i remember reading that somewhere

2005 Legacy GT Ltd, Garnet Red Pearl
speak softly and spool a big turbo

Ducking_FumbassJun-24-05 08:48 AM
1147 posts,
#27389, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 31

I think that this topis has already been beaten to death, but yes, the Diamante brakes bolt up, as they use the same 2-pot caliper as does the non-turbo 3000GT, the AWD DSMs, etc...

BumpinTalonJun-24-05 09:35 AM
2381 posts,
#27390, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 30

its Race City in Calgary, AB Canada...

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Ducking_FumbassJun-24-05 02:40 PM
1147 posts,
#27393, "RE: GTO Caliper Fitment?"
In response to Reply # 33

What the fuck... maybe I will go on an open track day some weekend.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27262 Previous topic | Next topic