Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upper arm broken off from frame?" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgApr-18-05 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26926, "Upper arm broken off from frame?"

Ok, so I've sustained some track damage to one of my upper suspension arms. The parts (#40336, 40395B) at the top of the pic have broken off from (or rather, punched into) the frame. The weld? has cracked, and while the bolt is still there, it just flops around.

How do I fix this? The obvious answer is to just weld the bolt #40336 to the frame, but there is something like RTV or foam weatherproofing on both the top and bottom of the bolt. That, combined with the hard-to-reach location, is going to make it really hard to get a good weld on it.

Should I take the bolt out and weld the frame back square, or is this bolt welded in already?

Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, turbo8u, Apr-18-05 06:28 AM, #1
RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, Chamuko, Apr-18-05 06:44 AM, #2
      RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, RickyMeeses, Apr-18-05 07:07 AM, #3
           RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-18-05 11:56 PM, #4
                RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, thedawg, Apr-19-05 11:05 AM, #5
                     RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-19-05 12:32 PM, #6
                          RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, turbo8u, Apr-19-05 02:13 PM, #7
                               RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, thedawg, Apr-19-05 06:39 PM, #8
                                    RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?, run4cvr, Apr-19-05 07:24 PM, #9

turbo8uApr-18-05 06:28 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26927, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 0

holyshitballs dan

take pictures

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ChamukoApr-18-05 06:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#26928, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 1

Dan why not look on the other side?

Ill take a look right now for ya.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

OldGuyApr-18-05 07:07 AM
Member since May 04th 2003
1077 posts,
#26929, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 2

The bolt comes out so you can remove the upper control arm. I would say remove the bolt and weld the piece back in. Just be really careful when welding it back together. That way it goes in right and your caster/camber isn't all jacked up.

So now at 44 what the hell do I do?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-18-05 11:56 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#26954, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wait the mount broke or the sleeve that the mount bolts into in the body broke?

If the mount broke get another.....hell i can give you one. if the sleeve broken then ya just try to weld it in as straight as you can.

Terry

thedawgApr-19-05 11:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26959, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-19-05 11:06 AM by thedawg

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Wait the mount broke or the sleeve that the mount bolts into in the body broke?

The sleeve welded into the body broke. The bolt/pivot and arm are fine.

The top of the mount is punched about a quarter inch into the body, since the sleeve is no longer holding it in place.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-19-05 12:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#26960, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 5

Dude, pics. That's wild. You broke a bolt sleeve out of the unibody. You're going to have to get that welded....

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

turbo8uApr-19-05 02:13 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26962, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 6
Apr-19-05 02:14 PM by turbo8u

i'll weld it right up for you, no worries

edit: yea id like to see some pics too

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

thedawgApr-19-05 06:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#26967, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 7
Apr-19-05 06:43 PM by thedawg

My digicam took an unfortunate dive off my balcony, onto a hardwood floor.
EDIT- It lasted nearly 5 good full years. RIP Olympus.

Someone bring a digicam to MOD, and I'll bring the car. It's near impossible to get a good look at though, due to the silicone? caulking around the sleeve.

run4cvrApr-19-05 07:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
#26968, "RE: Upper arm broken off from frame?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by thedawg
Someone bring a digicam to MOD, and I'll bring the car. It's near impossible to get a good look at though, due to the silicone? caulking around the sleeve.

I'll have my digi cam and camcorder

John 96 GS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26926 Previous topic | Next topic